Hank's Use Of The Trem Arm

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
goran
RRF Consultant

Hank's Use Of The Trem Arm

Post by goran »

Please note that Hank holds the trem arm all the time (as do I), probably with the pinky. This causes a light vibrato to occur at all times while picking, for comfort I always have the trem arm completely loose so it will hang down and not be obstructing when playing rhythm. Any thoughts on this? Even slight use of the trem adds a little energy to the strings and have an effect on the sustain.
Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A marvellous discussion topic, Goran and one that I find that is so often overlooked. I often times wonder about those aspects of Hank Marvin's sound that is not determined by the electronics but by technique.

His recorded live performances certainly give us a window into his playing style. The Shadows most recent tour is a good example of this tutorial on Hank's playing style.

I believe that some of Hank's sounds have not been replicated moreso because of his vibrato arm on the guitar and the vibrato in his fingers as well. Sometimes patches and amplifier vibrato are invaluable in replicating the sound but so often the vibrato on some passages but not others is an important clue to what Hank was producing through mechanical effects.

I too want the vibrato to fall loose so that it is out of the way when it needs to be. With regard to vibrato I have found that the substitution of the Callaham block has been a wonderful improvement with regard to tone and playability on the Fender Stratocaster. Locking tuners are also very helpful in keeping the instrument in tune.

Pushing gently on the vibrato arm does add a touch of magic and I suspect that Hank did this almost reflexively at times in his playing. It does, as you have so nicely said, add sustain and sets the stage for "the sound."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

Necessity is the mother of invention... or something like that.

On "The Final Tour" DVD, Hank tells about how HEAVY the strings were back then; and that the only way he could get some vibrato out of them was to use the (so-called) "trem."
Member #03
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Incidentally, "amp vibrato" is more correctly labelled "amp tremolo" which is a fluctuation in volume whereas vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch, just a reflection.
Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree, Goran. Tremolo and vibrato are sometimes used incorrectly as synonyms and incorrectly so.

Manufacturers have introduced confusion by naming their products incorrectly as in the vibrato channel of Fender amplifiers, the Vibro King models and so on.

The so called "trem arm" on a guitar is a vibrato arm, really.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
gemini_iii
Veteran RRF member

Post by gemini_iii »

Hi Guys. Maintaining a light grip on the tremelo arm does indeed impart some "unconscious" vibrato to the played note. However, be very careful just how lightly you maintain this element of control. It is very easy to unknowingly introduce unpleasant "warbling". I eased the thread in my trem. block (new in December 2006), so that the smallest movements weren't effective, thus preventing this. For a number of years, the threaded socket for the tremelo arm on Fenders has been fitted with a light spring against which the arm is screwed - it also offers a convenient park position when not needed. On pre-owned guitars this may have become lost. I protect against this possible loss with an M5 x 25 pan-head screw when the arm isn't fitted. If the spring finds its way into your guitar case, it can play havoc with the lacquer on your axe !!. On older trem. blocks it may be possible to introduce one - break open a "pop-a-point" pencil or similar for a light spring. On a personal point, Peter, I plan to introduce a steel trem. block at some stage - I'll probably make mine here in my factory - when I get the time !! One small tip - I have it on good authority that Hank used a cut-down tremelo arm. Its about 20mm shorter and enables comfortable picking between the middle and neck pups - another contributing factor to "that sound". Regards to all Shads fans from across the pond. David JM
If you can't see it, I haven't got it. If I haven't got it, you can't have it. If you don't want it, neither do I.

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”