Fragile vs. Close to the Edge?

The genius of Chris Squire
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

"A Venture" and "To be over" are my all time favorite Yes sleepers. You forget about them for a while and then when you hear them again, they're just amazing. Thank you, Steve Howe, for the acoustic solo version of To be Over on the Live at Montreux DVD.
You can never own too many guitars!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Or in hell maybe as some of you think I belong there instead.

Vince, I think folks feel that way because of the 'persona' you give poeple through your website and that interview with yourself, and elsewhere perhaps.

Reading your recent posts here show the person you really are (I hope), a passionate lover of music, Yes, Rickenbackers, etc. I am glad you have let down your guard and have shared in all you have so far here. Thanks much for that! Image
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I think "A Venture" is a very cool song! AOR radio stations in NYC used to play it occasionally. That is until the radio stations all got bought up by big corporations that decided it's best to play the same top 25 songs over and over all day!!
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Hear hear! The Vince Gallo we see here on the Forum today is indeed a welcome contributing member, especially to this moderated Chris Squire and Yes Forum, and I know we are all grateful that Vince is here and posting about that which we all share in common - our appreciation for our Rickenbackers and our desire to share information AND PHOTOS with each other Image
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

We jammed "A Venture" a couple of weeks ago at our keyboard players house.
Its one of those songs that you crank up the volume on the fade out hoping to get some more of.
Maybe we could surprise die hard Yes fans with it.
Ive always liked that song.
Too many basses is an oxymoron
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

I don't think you belong in Hell, Vince. But you may want to consider it...from what I've seen of people, Heaven might be kind of a lonely place.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
vincent_gallo

Post by vincent_gallo »

Hey Pete, I do exactly that every time I listen to A Venture. Towards the end of the track, I stand by the Hi Fi volume control and crank against the fade trying to get every last drop out of it. The last crumbs are some of the best parts. I would love to get hold of the master multi track so as to listen to it all. It is the sound Chris is getting on that section that first made me really notice him and his playing. I remember the day, at my friend’s house and listening through his pops single Marantz model 1 and model 2 driving a single AR1 speaker. It was a monophonic system spinning the stereo LP but it sounded great. Chris, Bill and the band are locked together in that section in a way that I wish went on forever. By the way, I have been lucky enough to socialize with a lot of interesting successful musicians. You would be shocked how many unlikely YES fans there are out there in the celebrity crowd. Especially fans of Chris Squire and Steve Howe. I say unlikely because many of them never mention it to the public and are in bands that play a musical style very different from YES and even portray an image against what YES does. The most shocking moment was in 1980 in NYC when after I saw PUBLIC IMAGE LTD play a fantastic set of very crude and raw noise influence music, I wound up at a house party with Keith Levene the guitarist from PIL. We were talking about things and music and somebody interrupted us and said to Keith, “don’t listen to Gallo, he doesn’t know anything about music, his favorite band is YES”. I thought Keith would respond poorly. Instead, he told me they were his favorite band and that Steve Howe was his favorite guitar player of all time. I can’t explain why, but having Keith Levene say that to me, I mean Keith Levene, a founding member of THE CLASH and member of PIL. It just blew my mind and took away any shyness I had to let my friends in the NYC No Wave and punk scene know who my favorite band was. Since that day, hundreds of guys and gals who would not be expected to say so would tell me YES was their favorite band. My current band mate Eric Erlandson formerly of HOLE. He and I listen to YES together all the time. Before we were friends, I saw him and his band HOLE in 1994. The last thing I thought was, I bet that guitar player likes Steve Howe. John Frusciante taught me sections off Tales From Topographic oceans. He had them memorized perfectly.
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Pete, since you can do YES music so well, wouldn't it be cool if - where the YES "A Venture" record track faded out - you instead keep going and jam on that finish as far as you would have imagined it could have gone had YES have kept playing Image

Then of course Pete, send ME a copy of a recorded track of SEYES doing it so I can listen too Image Image
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Here it is again, exactly what I keep going off about to friends and acquaintances, wife and daughters and anyone who appears to be listening: fight to ignore what you THINK people think, stand by what YOU think, and BROADCAST that mofo.

I love that story. Many Clash fans (or punk fans in general) draw certain lines in the sand...they saw "Sid and Nancy" so they have decided there is nothing of value to be found in a piece by, say, Pink Floyd. Only to find that even a hero like Keith Levene admires the transcendent beauty of YES. And that's Prog Rock, hippie music, innit? Indeed.

Still, I wouldn't say No Wave... that era gave us some wicked good music. Those bands were embracing change and presenting new creations. The longer I live, the more I view that as a very good thing to do in this world.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Vince, I read a Keith Levene interview in 1985 where he talks about being a YES roadie and comments that "Steve Howe taught me so much about the guitar and he never knew that he was my hero". Keith had deep respect for Steve and YES; I wish I had a copy of that interview.

Two weeks ago, A Venture was one of the tunes played while my nephew and I drove four hours to Arlington to pick up a rare Gibson and, Yes, we cranked the ending... Atlantic, rerelease, please!!!
You can never own too many guitars!
vincent_gallo

Post by vincent_gallo »

Mark, "No Wave" was a term given to the bands that were a bit more noise and primitive. sort of a play on the term New Wave. The No New York LP which featured the bands MARS , TEENAGE JESUS, and THE CONTORTIONS was considered a No Wave record. PIL was sometimes called No Wave as well and it was meant as a compliment. Maybe you knew that though. if so sorry.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

That's a great story. I love the John Frusciante bit too, although that doesn't surprise me. John appears to have a wonderful all-embracing attitude towards music from the interviews I've seen.
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

No, I didn't know that--I should have guessed, though. Things make more sense now... Image
fabian

Re: Fragile vs. Close to the Edge?

Post by fabian »

those 2 albums are something!

Siberian...hearth of the sunrise..hard to put one album below the other one,imho are the greatest progressive albums
tks to H. of the sunrise and the whole Close to the edge album I own 3 ricks now...

(http://www.myspace.com/fdelius) check my "fish" version :-)

I can't live without the Yes group

fabian

Re: Fragile vs. Close to the Edge?

Post by 2112 »

CTTE!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”