Lennon Guitar

The history and music of the Fab Four
Craig55

Lennon Guitar

Post by Craig55 »

In 1980, on the afternoon that JL was taken from us, he said his guitar was hung on some hooks over his bed in the Dakota. He also said it was a new one and was much better than his older gear. Anyone remember what guitar he was talking about?
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but up to 1980,
I don't think Rick had yet introduced the 350[essentially a full scale 24 fret 325]. Maybe you mean 360 instead of 350?.
tom

Post by tom »

He is also seen with the STRAT on the inside record sleeve of his greatest hits on Geffen records. Candy apple red is the color. John Lennon never had a 350 Rickenbacker.
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

John Lennon was talking about a 'futuristic' looking guitar called a Sardonxx. He is seen in
a photo using this guitar for the Double Fantasy
sessions. It sort of looks like a Steinberger, only has two aluminum 'wings' which fold out from the sides of the body.
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

The Sardonxx is hanging at the Rock Hall in Cleveland right now, up on the third level with some of John's other guitars. I couldn't believe it was there along some other famous pieces, most of what he used in the '70s. But best of all his Rickenbacker 325/12 is there and that made the whole trip worth it for me, even though the Rock Hall management had pretty much banned me from the building that day.
tom

Post by tom »

Why did they ban you Nick? What's with that?
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

Here is the article in this month's issue of Bass Player: http://www.rivernet.net/~nickster/bp_art.jpg There were a few other guitars that I questioned as well, but they unrolled the "big rug" so they could sweep those under too.
Matt_Bassett

Post by Matt_Bassett »

C'mon, get real. If Michael Devlin didn't know what he was buying, somebody did. But does he really expect us to believe he thought the bass would only cost a couple of G's, and that it would look brand new? I find the whole thing slightly incredulous. Somehow I don't think Paul would be much inclined to let his first Hofner sit in a glass case on the other side of the puddle. I guess I could be wrong; stranger things have happened. ;-]

Nice work, Nick.
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

This bass was being presented by the Rock Hall as a 64 that was equipped with gold hardware, this bass was supposed to be a presentation piece that Selmer had given to McCartney in 64. The funny thing about this story is that Music Ground in England actually owns a 64 Beatle bass with gold hardware that they are claiming to be the same bass with this history. Whether or not the story is true, at least their bass is a real 64 not a reissue like this one hanging in the Rock Hall.
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

BTW, How the Rock Hall got into this mess is that this fellow took Music Ground's documentation on their bass and a brand new 62 reissue that had the hardware gold plated, and then presented the information with his reissue bass to the Rock Hall as the real thing. And what did they do? They hung on the wall without having anyone look at it, it was there for months. How many thousands of people went through thinking that is was a real bass associated with McCartney? I guess they gotta sell tickets to pay those high priced curators that find them all of these authentic items, LOL.
tom

Post by tom »

I would think that they would have to check it out. Many other lesser known STAR instruments are on the walls that are fakes? Does anyone know where or who got that Hofner/Selmer presented bass? Didn't Ludwig give Ringo a gold plated Supra 400 snare around that time also? I heard that after he was given the drum he gave it away before he left the presentation....I dont think the Beatles were into flashy gold plating.
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

The Music Ground story is that Selmer presented the bass to McCartney along with two other gold plated Club guitars that went to John and George. They are saying that John and George declined their guitars but McCartney took his, but just put it aside for several years and never even played it. Apple sold it in '70s for peanuts when they were clearing some junk that they had laying around and somehow Music Ground picked it up for 200 pounds and then later "discovered" this story about a gold plated Hofner being presented to McCartney. Whether or not there is any truth to the story is open to interpretation. Because of Music Ground's colorful history, I'm one of the doubters out there.
tom

Post by tom »

it would be hard to say, how many people might have just ordered a hofner with gold HW???
if it doesnt have papers it just a Hofner with gold plated HW, unless Hofner has a record of the ser.# and that they gave it to McCartney.......tom
Bob

Post by Bob »

When I went to the rock+roll hall of fame the gold plated hw hofner was on display there.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”