For Chris Squire fans-not Rickenbacker,though

The genius of Chris Squire
nick

Post by nick »

That lime-green bass is a beaut-I have a late 80's Robin Freedom Bass the same color-
I have always loved those map-style National guitars, yours is the first time I've ever seen a bass version of that-Is there a link you could post to see some more? Is/was Metropolitan a division of National, or is it a custom deal?
Really cool bass.
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

No, Metropolitan is owned by Dave Wintz, who also owns Robin. No relation to the original company. http://www.metropolitanguitars.com/ . It doesn't look like there are any basses in the current production lineup.
tsarter
Veteran RRF member

Post by tsarter »

This bass was one of four that Dave made. Tom Peterson has two, I have one. Don't know about the 4th.

When asking about a repair (it received some damage during shipping after loaning it out to a friend) Dave told me it would now be made as a custom order job with prices starting at $3500 for a basic model.
bassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by bassman »

I've been lusting for a Mouradian bass for the past 10 years. Too bad this one came up at this time of year.
Here's a picture of the guitar version which is also very cool in my opinion.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I think they look like those things that the bad guys throw in James Bond movies, the things that slice off your head.
nick

Post by nick »

Thanks for the link,Dave-which Tom Petersson basses are Metropolitans (that you referenced in that last post,Tim)?Just curious, I'm a huge Cheap Trick fan.
nick

Post by nick »

Sorry, didn't finish or clarify my post-are the Tom P. basses 12 strings or 4? I thought all of his current 12s were Chandlers.
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Nick, I don't have the answer, but it's my understanding that Tom plays 4s quite a bit now. I suspect his Metropolitans are 4s, since pics of him with a 12 are always his Chandlers.
nick

Post by nick »

I just did a little digging, looks like at least one of his is a 4-string white bass. Also now that I think of it, there is another company (not just Chandler, I mean)that makes his current 12s, the name is escaping me right now.
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Hmmmm........and to think that I thought my OLP SB4 Spector bass copy was a bit weird. I've become a real conservative. Tim is right, we're talking SERIOUS butt ugly here. Then again, all those would be nice basses to take to a gig in your two-toned Nash Metropolitan while wearing a green leisure suit sewn with orange thread and purple shoes with yellow socks. Don't forget the Foster Grants. Image
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Yes, they would look nice in a Nash Metropolitan, but you might not be able to fit them inside.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”