For Chris Squire fans-not Rickenbacker,though

The genius of Chris Squire
nick

For Chris Squire fans-not Rickenbacker,though

Post by nick »

Here's a bass for sale on EBay, I'm unclear as to whether it's actually one of Chris Squire's or just another Mouradian (I don't mean that in a bad way)- and is that a model of a YES stage in the background?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2574570082&category=4713
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

This guy also has the 4008 for auction!
tsarter
Veteran RRF member

Post by tsarter »

Me thinks it's butt ugly! I suppose looks aren't everything. How do these play and sound?
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

This is the "Owner of a Lonely Heart" bass that Squire used to record that song. He has a green one that he plays on the song live. If you look carefully, it seems to have Chris's initials on the body, but I don't know if that is my imagination or me remembering him saying it was designed that way...
I have never seen one outside of a Yes concert so I can't say how they play...
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
mikeyesfan

Post by mikeyesfan »

I think Chris Shows the Bass in Star Licks Bass Video....
YES is the Answer!
robj
Veteran RRF member

Post by robj »

The body of the bass was in fact designed around the initials CS, and the bass is shown on the Star Licks video. When the bass was first introduced in the early '80s I immediately sent for the brochure which I still have. On the brochure there is a picture of Chris holding the bass and the caption says something like "quite simply the bass for the 80's".

Is the seller claiming Squire owned this bass?
ken_james
Veteran RRF member

Post by ken_james »

Can you scan a good picture of the bass? I'm thinking about having my luthier build one, except I can't find a good clear image anywhere.
madscotsman

Post by madscotsman »

I've been reading this thread and remembered I had a good pic of it in a old guitar magazine I have. I don't have a scanner so It's a little fuzzy. Pretty cool bass, wierd but very cool..Image
robj
Veteran RRF member

Post by robj »

I've seen Squire play it up close in concert a few times. I think it's pretty cool too, I very nearly ordered one way back when but decided it was too novel for my taste and bought my silver 4003 instead. I think list price at the time was around $1900 U.S.

I'll root around in my archives at home and see if I can find the brochure. If I can get a clearer scan I will post it here, but that ones not too bad really.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Back when Squire's Mouradian first appeared, I phoned Jim Mouradian himself and asked him to make me a lefty one. He said "No way". Oh well.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
ken_james
Veteran RRF member

Post by ken_james »

I've had my eye on some spalted maple that my builder has, this might be a cool project bass.
tsarter
Veteran RRF member

Post by tsarter »

No offence intended, but I *still* think it butt ugly. Than again I own this lovely piece:

http:www.sitesolid.com/tsarter/bass.jpg

so I guess there really is no accounting for tastes!
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Yow! I didn't know you had a Tanglewood map bass, Tim. And you even admit it! Image
tsarter
Veteran RRF member

Post by tsarter »

Yes indeed. It's certainly not something I show up with at every gig, but it actually has a great tone not unlike a Rickenbacker. The really sick part is a guitarist I work with in one band has the exact, matching guitar - two Metropolitans in one band. Hard to imagine, isn't it?
ken_james
Veteran RRF member

Post by ken_james »

But's a cool retro type of thing(the map bass), I'll admit I'm not sold on the Mouradian project yet.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”