Gov't Mule Documentary

The genius of Chris Squire
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Gov't Mule Documentary

Post by brianeharmonjr »

I hadn't seen this mentioned, so I thought I'd throw it out there. Mike Gordon (from Phish) made a film about the making of this Gov't Mule album which is a tribute to their now dead bass player Allen Woody. I'm not much of a Mule fan, but thought I would check it out. Basically, they brought in about 20 different bass players to play on a track each for this album. Featured guests include Chris Squire (of course), Jack Bruce, Flea, Larry Graham, Phil Lesh, and many others. Chris was only there for about a minute, but it was by far the coolest part. The documentary itself was a bit lame because of Mike Gordon's over-analysis of "auras" and such, wasting precious time that could have been spent with the guest musicians. Anyone else have opinions on this?
elysrand
Advanced Member

Re: Gov't Mule Documentary

Post by elysrand »

Ah! You mean "Rising Low"? You can get the 2002 version on Amazon right now, and you are right - there is only a little "Chris Squire" on it but it is a cool DVD anyway to watch and own. Bootsy Collins is on it too. Or do you mean the original 2001 release, which is the two "Deep End" audio CDs and the now-out-of-print "Deepest End" CD set with the bonus DVD? The mix is different between "Rising Low" and "Deepest End", and they both include Chris Squire :D It is worth buying them both IMHO....
squirefan01
Intermediate Member

Post by squirefan01 »

You can also get Rising Low from Mike Gordon's web site:

http://mikegordon.shop.musictoday.com/P ... &pc=MGAM05

It's a great video with many great bassists involved.
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

I'm a big fan of Gov't Mule and think that Warren Haynes is one of the more underated (in the eyes of the public, not among musicians) guitar players around. I've seen them when Allen Woody was still alive, seen them during "The Deep End" phase (Oteil Burbridge was the guest bass player that evening), and most recently with their new Bass player, Andy Hess who is very steady, and must be quite good to be picked up as the permanent bass player, but nowhere near as dynamic as Allen or Oteil are...IMHO of course.

"The Deepest End" CD/DVD set mentioned by Elys is very much worth a watch. It was the last concert they did before taking on Andy Hess full time, and instead of bringing in just one bass player for a show, they rounded up a slew of Players and switched them every couple of songs. Victor Wooten was a monster that night as was George Porter. It would have been great to have Chris Squire there; I'm guessing that the travel was too much but don't know for sure.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”