Songwriting Dream

Putting music theory into practice
melibreits

Songwriting Dream

Post by melibreits »

I woke up from the coolest dream this morning.... I was sitting in a classroom-type setting with a bunch of music friends including many Forumites, and I had written a song on the back of an 8x10 manila envelope.... I don't know why, as I also had a notebook with me.... Anyway, I had two verses and a chorus, and I thought they were probably some of the best song lyrics I had ever written....but I didn't feel that I was ready to share them with anybody yet, so I kept covering them with my hand if I felt anybody was getting close enough to see them. Upon waking up, I remember a few interesting phrases, and one person's name in the song, but that's it. :shock:

So how will I remember the song I wrote in my dreams? That could be a song in itself, LOL!
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Re: Songwriting Dream

Post by ozover50 »

Go back to bed, Melibee...... give it a chance to return! :D
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

I've had same dreams a few times. I was writing what i thought was the best song/tale i could ever have written. I have even managed to remember one; but when i put it on paper, i found out, to my surprise, that it was the silliest thing that ever came to my head - ever. :shock:
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

ALWAYS have a notebook handy, even during slumber.
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

You know, Sheena, I think you might be right.... After considering all of the key words that I remember for most of the day and trying to put them together, it is all very strange, and really makes no sense at all.... Probably no great loss! :D
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:ALWAYS have a notebook handy, even during slumber.
Yup. Don't forget the California Dreamin' story. And Michelle must have made a lot of money off that.

And didn't Keith say his Satisfaction riff also came late one night in bed?

melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Just spent a good portion of the day writing a song about trying to recover the lost song.... And have been having a whole lot of fun with it! I played my 360/12 V63 through the AC30 with the janglebox--it's been a while since I've done that and was incredibly pleased with the out-of-this world sound I had.... My creative muse must have been going wild today after a long dry spell of no songwriting and very little guitar playing, because as I sang the new song and played the chords, I could hear the bass part in my head, so after plucking the notes out on the 12-string, I got my 4001V63 out and and nailed the part perfectly! I'm not normally a bass player, so I felt that this was a rare moment indeed, as the bass line has the moving part.... I plan to record my vocals, 12-string and bass tomorrow. I can't wait to hear what my lead guitarist friend Ron will add to it when his family comes to visit this weekend! :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Cool! I want to hear how your bass line weaves through the song. :)
melibreits

The Song of My Dreams revisited!

Post by melibreits »

Just thought I'd revisit this thread, since I had another one of those dreams last week.... does this happen to anybody else?

I was feeling drowsy late in the afternoon, so I dozed off on the sheepskin rug in front of the fireplace.... I was in that state where I wasn't really awake, but I wasn't fully asleep yet, either, and I could hear a beautiful voice that sounded like Celine Dion, singing an amazing love song. I had been listening to a Celine Dion CD earlier in the day, but during this time there was no music playing.... Anyway, even though I felt really tired, I realized that I was having a moment of inspiration, so I forced myself awake and grabbed the nearest guitar so I wouldn't forget the chords or the melody, and quickly wrote down the words and the chord progression.... And I am well pleased with the new song! And yes, this is an original song as far as I can tell.... I just love it when this kind of thing happens! I hope to record the new song soon, when I have the time!

And I also hope to post the original "Song of My Dreams" here within the next few weeks.... stay tuned! :D
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Can't wait!

JimK
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I think that's how "Yesterday" was written, right? Very cool.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

I once decided it would be a good idea to keep a notebook beside my bed because I would always wake up in the middle of the night with great ideas for songs that would fade very quickly. This brilliant idea didn't last very long, as I would look at the notebook in the morning and find one or two incomprehensible notes jotted down. Apparently I speak in tongues in my sleep.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Bump - Got a recording for us, Melissa? :)
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Funny you should mention that.... I was just playing the bass this afternoon and getting ready to re-record "The Song Of My Dreams," since the first bass line I did on that turned out a bit muddy.

I've been busy with a lot of other things lately, so getting this posted has kind of fallen by the wayside.... :oops:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Understood. We look forward to hearing it whenever you have a chance to lay it down. If you're using a Rick bass and it's coming out muddy, I would suggest turning the bass volume and bass tone down to about 5 and leave treble V&T at 10.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”