Anyone seen or used these pickups before?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

paologregorio

Anyone seen or used these pickups before?

Post by paologregorio »

These popped up on Ebay. I'm not shopping for pickups, and I'm perfectly happy with Toasters and Dynasonics on my respective Rickenbacker and Gretsch guitars, but I thought this was at least interesting enough to pass along for a looksie by my fellow forumites: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Re: Anyone seen or used these pickups before?

Post by rickcrazy »

I for one can't say I have, but from the description they get the job done. Another brother in arms of sorts. :wink:
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I picked up a couple of GFS toaster copy pickups ... they are slightly larger than a real toaster and they are a little hotter ...

the pickups are ok sounding ... not quite the same as a real ric pickup ...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Thanks for the 411. It looks like they have the same output of 7.5k, which I would think give them the same amount of highs. How would you describe the difference in sound between these and a Rick toaster?
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

Thought I'd revive this thread. I'm curious about these- looking for a hotter pickup for my Rick 335!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Chuck, have you tried RIC Higains yet?
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I can't speak for a Rick context, but I have GFS FAT PAF pups in my Dot Studio, and they are great, especially for the price!
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

I did have Rick Hi Gains in several of my past Ricks, but didn't really care for them. The problem is someone years ago put active pickups in my '66 335 and I want THAT sound. Unbelievable.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Sergio's building me a pair of overwound 14k toaster coils, as soon as he can get ahold of some alnico magnets. I like the sound of a pair of hi gains that I had on my MG 360 WB, but I prefer alnico magnets, as well as the look of toaster tops. I thought that 14k alnicos would put out a really cool rockin' sound. the 14k pickups still had plenty of high end for me! I also noticed that the Rick seemed to have a higher output than even my De Armand-equipped Gretsch Silverjet, and was less inclined to feed back than even my 12k toaster-equipped 381, which I roll the treble tone back about half way on when using distortion, which is quite a bit :D

The hi gains in question on my MG 360 WB irreperably fell apart when I tried to remove the polepieces and convert them to a toaster look. :evil:
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hey Paul! I didn't go away on you :) Truth is, I'm still trying to locate suitable Alnico slugs for your pickups. Since it's taking far too damn long, maybe I could use iron or steel slugs instead and gauss them in P-90 pickup fashion. What do you say?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Paul - Alnico5 Magnets here:

http://www.magnetsource.com/Solutions_P ... lnico.html

I think you want the 1/4" diam. x 1/2" long, IIRC. They have a minimum, but about 35 magnets cover it. Buy them, send them all to Sergio, you'll have your pups!
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Sergio, you try magnetic hold also.

greg

http://www.magnetichold.net/
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

rickcrazy wrote:Hey Paul! I didn't go away on you :) Truth is, I'm still trying to locate suitable Alnico slugs for your pickups. Since it's taking far too damn long, maybe I could use iron or steel slugs instead and gauss them in P-90 pickup fashion. What do you say?
I probably wouldn't know the difference, but how about if I order the Alnico slugs and ship them to you? Or do you want to order them directly. Let me know. Send me an email, eh? I checked out each of the webistes. Master magnetics was easier for me to understand, while Magnetic Hold seemed to be a bit more techincal. Could someone enlighten me?

Thanks Sergio! And Happy New Year! :D :D :D
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Paul, you would want cast alnico5 magnet rods from Magnetic Hold. I agree, Master Magnetics is an easier site to understand. I have ordered both the 1/4" rods and also 5/16" rods from Master Magnetics. Very easy company to deal with; just call, tell them where you are, they connect you with a sales rep for that area, and you explain what you are doing and what you want. Use a CC and they are on the way to you. I will say the 5/16" rods and Sergio's re-winding of a RIC bridge coil made for a pickup that came very close to the RIHS I now have.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Thanks for the info guys. We'll follow up on your lead. Much appreciated!

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”