Searchers' self-penned songs - your personal top 5?

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Searchers' self-penned songs - your personal top 5?

Post by sowhat »

As we all know, the band wasn't known for songwriting, but still, maybe there are people who are as mad as me & can distinguish between their own songs and even have their own favourites? Roy did a great list in his article "Searchers sing Searchers", but 20 is perhaps a bit too much and he doesn't make a top list as such (number 1, number 2, etc). So what would be your personal top five and the reasons why you chose them and put them in that order?
Here's mine, just as an example.
1. "I'll be loving you". A nice, moving tune with great lyrics (for a lovesong), hats off to whoever wrote them, you can almost see the pictures in your head (well, at least i do).
2. "Suzanna". A very unexpected heartbreakingly sad song, the emotion is felt all the way through and one believes the narrator (at least i do), which - imho - is most important for a song (and not for songs only).
3. "Push push". Slow but energetic, keeps one hooked all the way through (perhaps i'm the only "one" who's kept hooked, but still), emotional and honest - what else do you need from a lovesong?
4. "Think of my life". A slow, bluesy (please forgive me those who like and know a lot about blues, to me it does sound bluesy), hypnotic song. And great vocals, of course. :wink:
5. "Don't hang on". A catchy rocking number (i love it when the band does rocking numbers), cool lyrics as well.
PS: i cannot remember whether i started a similar topic before or not... :oops: this section doesn't seem to be very lively nowadays... :(
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
rob_mac

Re: Searchers' self-penned songs - your personal top 5?

Post by rob_mac »

A good subject Sheena, that has had me playing all their songs over and over again for the past few days!!!

1, if I could find someone. ....Good enough to have been a single in my opinion.
2, this feelin inside. .....As above.
3, till I met you. .....A classic song, The modern band do a great version of this one!!
4, The world is waiting for tomorrow. Some great songs from this period, 'and a button' is great as well.
5, another night. a late seventies song, allthe songs on this album are good. very difficult to pick one!!

From Rob
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Wow. As the days passed by, i was more and more inclined to think that i'm the only one here who would be crazy enough to make a top five of Searchers' self-penned songs. :wink:
Thanks a ton, Rob. Good to see a top five which is that different from mine. :) Agreed on "modern" version of "Till i met you" - imho, it's much better than the "old" version from the sixties, and comparing the vocals on the "old" track and "modern" version makes me think this song definitely wasn't written for Mike Pender's voice. :P
rob_mac

Post by rob_mac »

Your not crazy at all Sheena!!! The Searchers did write a a lot of great tunes, (around 40 over the years) and its a great shame that they are not more well known.

Best wishes from Rob
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Agreed on all points, Rob. :)
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

A bit late but:

1. Don't Hang On
2. Another Night
3. Come On Back To Me
4. Little Bit Of Heaven
5. Baby I Do
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

It's never too late, David, and thanks for your responce! And good to see you posting as well. :)
Interesting that you put "Don't hang on" on the 1st place.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Here's mine then

1. Till I Met You
2. Don't Hide It Awat
3. It's All Been A Dream
4 Suzanna
5 Love Lies Bleeding

Interesting Don't Hang Out feartues if you would like to hear how it originally sounded before it was re-vamped, just shout.

Personally not one of my favourites but how it was done originally, IMO, was better.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

royclough wrote:Interesting Don't Hang Out feartues if you would like to hear how it originally sounded before it was re-vamped, just shout.
AAAAAAA!!!! Um. Sorry.
Funny that, i always considered "Don't hide it away" to be among their worst originals, perhaps only second worst after "It's just the way". Talk about differences. :)
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

1. Too Many Miles
2-5
I'm never coming back
I'll be loving you
Dont hide it away
Crazy Dreams

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”