Stormy Monday

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
charlyg

Re: Stormy Monday

Post by charlyg »

I lied, I only have 26 versions, but Bobby's is one I have. What a voice! Oh, and that guitarist ain't too shabby!
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

How bout some Albert King? Upside down and backwards, but he works it!

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

I struggled with the 9ths for quite a while too, Charly. I've found that if I position the ring finger over the G, B and E strings first then immediately 'wrap' the pointer and middle fingers over that they pretty much 'hit' where I want them to but I need to be careful that I don't hit the E and A strings. By hitting the A and D strings I end up muting the E string 99% of the time, which is exactly what I want. As usual, it's practice, practice, practice!!

BTW..... I've noticed on many versions that G7 is used in lieu of G9. Much easier IMO.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I noticed that too! I mean a 9th is just an extension, a very tasty one, but still an extension. I could get the kbd guy to put it in, HA!

I'll give your idea a try when I finish this nice homemade bowl of Navy Bean soup!
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Ok, I am officially excited! I had another lesson today and have the Stormy Monday bass line with the Allman Bros turnaround. I can now record my bass line, and then practice playing lead against it! Since I may not be able to afford lessons if the wife doesn't find work, he has asked me to make a list of the songs I want to learn.

I suggested Stormy Monday, he suggested Going Down and something else that I forget from the Duck Dunn book, Rock me Baby and It Hurts Me Too.

Now I need some advice. I need to pick 15 or 20 blues tunes to learn that are representative of "most" blues, or even better, the top 20 blues tunes played at blues jams.

I thought of
Cold Shot
Miss Ann (Johnny Winter)
Wang Dang Doodle
The Thrill is Gone
But not having been to many Blues "jams", I don't have a clue as to the top 20..

Woot!
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

I think that the Allman Brothers' version of Stormy Monday on the "Filmore East" album is about as good as it gets IMHO. They jazz it up a bit during the middle of the song.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”