Where Are They Now - Manfred Mann

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
winston
Membership Admin

Where Are They Now - Manfred Mann

Post by winston »

Manfred Mann in my view is a rather enigmatic individual.

In the early sixties he formed a band called the Mann - Hugg Blues Brothers Band with his friend and Drummer/Vibe player Mike Hugg. They hawked their music in the many blues venues that had sprung up around London. The Rolling Stones, The Pretty Things, and The Yardbirds were their contemporaries. As a side note, the Pretty Things and the Stones have some roots in common, but that's a story for another time.

The band changed its' name to Manfred Mann and The Manfreds and shortly after they added Mike Vickers on lead guitar, Dave Richmond on bass, and Paul Jones fronting as lead vocalist and harmonica player.

As a band they went on to embrace R&B, and Pop and scored a number of hits even though their line-up was changing almost as fast as they produced a new single. If that statement indeed, has no foundation in fact, I'll simply say that's how the progress of their career was perceived by me at the time.

Through it all the stoic and media savvy Manfred Mann maintained his presence front and center. The band went through a number of personnel changes and even another name change or two but they continued to chase success and place hits in the charts, as far as they could.

Today The Manfreds continue to perform the original hits, albeit less Manfred Mann.

So where is Manfred Mann now and what is he doing. Once again lets see if we can use the power of the internet to chase him down and see if he is still active in any way in the music business.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Re: Where Are They Now - Manfred Mann

Post by studiotwosession »

Boy, that is a band that left its mark on multiple generations in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I know Klaus Voorman was in them as well, but not sure which era. I'd guess the late 60s. I've often wondered about whether he had a rehearsal with them or what. I can only imagine what they said to him, "so, you're pals with the Beatles, eh?" It's nice to know Klaus didn't need to rely on that. But man, it sure must have kicked some doors in.
longboard_ric
Intermediate Member

Post by longboard_ric »

I am not sure of what Manfred Mann is currently doing, but I did see the band live at Festival Hall in Melbourne in 1972. Of the three international acts on that night, MM was the most impressive. A great set of songs, brilliant musicianship and lots of showmanship made for a memorable nights entertainment.

The other two international acts were Deep Purple and Free.

All that for $5 too :D
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

Other bassists included Tom McGuinness (McGuinness Flint, the Blues Band) who was also the guitarist at some point, and Jack Bruce (Cream)...
miamiric

Post by miamiric »

All I have managed to find recently dates to The Guardian Newspaper (London) Monday December 15, 2003 -

"Those who thought that the musical canon of Sir Edward Elgar had been completed with the recording last week of a 42-second piece about smoking by the Hallé Orchestra will have to revise their discographies yet again, following the unveiling of three previously unknown hymns, discovered by the rock musician Manfred Mann.
The hymns, apparently written when the composer was 20 and employed as assistant organist to his father at St George's Church, Worcester, were bought by the keyboard player nearly 40 years ago in London but have only now been released as a recording.
They were found in a file of 12 hymns apparently written out by Elgar for the church's choir. He may have reharmonised some of the rest as well.
Elgar first played the organ at the church in 1872 at the age of 15, and followed his father as organist there 14 years later. Within two years he moved to London to further his career. Shortly before he left, he wrote to a friend: "I am a fully-fledged organist now and hate it... the choir is awful and no good to be done with them."

Manfred Mann, famous for 60s hits such as Pretty Flamingo, said: "I am not particularly interested in Elgar, but I saw the manuscripts on sale in Bond Street many years ago and they just seemed to be an affordable price.

"I found it difficult to believe that they were for sale or that no one had ever played them. Over the years I've told people I owned these original manuscripts, but no one was ever interested in playing them before.

"It was incredible that no one could even be bothered to look at them, but knowing the music business I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. If someone has a good idea, no one has the brains to steal it.

The compact disc, Perfect Love, was recorded by the Chapel Choir of the Royal Hospital, Chelsea. It is released on 23 February 2004 - the 70th anniversary of Elgar's death - on the Creature Classics label. "
"TOO OLD TO ROCK TOO YOUNG TO DIE"
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Evidently still going and touring Europe:

http://www.manfredmann.co.uk/
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Always liked their version of Dylan's "Quinn The Eskimo".
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I checked out the site Kris and it is only current to 2006. I am considering contacting the booking agent that is listed on the site to see what his status is just for kicks.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

I wasn't much of a fan. Later on when Manfred Mann's Earth Band did 'Blinded By The Light' things changed a bit.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

ozover50 wrote:I wasn't much of a fan. Later on when Manfred Mann's Earth Band did 'Blinded By The Light' things changed a bit.
That's highly understandable Aitch. Typical of bands like the Who and other British bands around that time, their early recorded works were nowhere near as good as the band sounded live. I was lucky I got to see them multiple times when they were in the process of crossing over from jazz to blues, to R&B and then to pop.

They were an incrediblely interesting act to watch. It almost seemed each time, that their metamorphosis took place over night.

shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Meat was a cool song. Gotta go find it.
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

[/quote]Later on when Manfred Mann's Earth Band did 'Blinded By The Light' things changed a bit.[quote][/quote] Later on when Manfred Mann's Earth Band did 'Blinded By The Light' things changed a bit.[quote]

It is rather amazing how huge a hit their version was, and I think they did another early Springsteen cut that garnered a lot of U.S. airplay, and how for a long time Springsteen himself was not charting, and then became so big years later. I'm not sure there is anything comparable...perhaps Dylan done by the Byrds? But pre-Byrds Dylan was highly visible, with network TV appearances and such. It was not the same for Springsteen.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

winston wrote:I checked out the site Kris and it is only current to 2006.
Actually the site has updated tour information on November 12th, 2007.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

beatlefreak wrote:
winston wrote:I checked out the site Kris and it is only current to 2006.
Actually the site has updated tour information on November 12th, 2007.
Yes it is Kris. I swear that was blank when I looked at it the other day. OK so he has been active in Russia and Europe. I wonder if he has any plans to come to North America?

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”