The Hawk and the Dove

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

The Hawk and the Dove

Post by admin »

Hanks Marvin is famous for his guitar playing and instrumental compositions, but many may not know the important role he has playing as a composer of vocals.

I find that his composition, The Hawk and the Dove, is particularly interesting for a couple of reasons. To begin, it is a brilliant work with a strong melody and lyrics. Further, unless my ears deceive me, it was recorded with a keyboard and drum track without any guitar work at all. The number of recordings that Hank Marvin has made without a guitar has to be a very short list.

I offer you the Hawk and the Dove with the lyrics so that you can appreciate this fine work.

I especially like the way in which the keyboard is used to haunting effect and mimicking the cry of the hawk. The drum is strong and ever present and focuses on the hearts of the lovers in a relationship that was short-lived and not to be. Your comments and observations are sought.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: The Hawk and the Dove

Post by royclough »

Should have been a big hit in my view but few even remember the album it came from which was called Alone With Friends an all vocal album from Hank with one exception the title was the only instrumental on it.

Whilst Hank is probably not the best vocalist going he does a great job on this atmospheric piece.

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”