Bruce "Cripps" Welch

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Bruce "Cripps" Welch

Post by admin »

For those who may be unfamiliar with The Shadows, Bruce Welch was the rhythm guitarist. He co-wrote a number of popular instrumentals that were successful in the charts including "Foot Tapper" and "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt." One of my favourite instrumental by Bruce Welch and John Rostill is "Blue Sky, Blue Sea, Blue Me" which I believe was recorded in 1965. It seems that it was on the "Sound of the Shadows", LP.

As part of the trio Marvin Welch and Farrar he co-wrote "Faithful" and "My Home Town" and sung brilliantly in the recording of these songs as well. He also wrote songs that were hits for Cliff Richard such as "In The Country", "Summer Holiday" and "I Could Easily Fall In Love With You".

There are some who hold the position that Hank Marvin was the most influential guitarist with The Shadows and that any rhythm guitar player might have sufficed. Clearly, Welch's contribution in recordings and compositions is not a role that could have been easily taken up by anyone who knew a few chords.

If the Shadows found little light in North America including Hank Marvin, it may be argued that even fewer avids of instrumental music knew of the significant role that Bruce Welch played. That he has been a valuable contributor to the Shadows is evident to those who saw the group during its most recent tour.

Your comments with regard to Bruce Welch are appreciated.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Re: Bruce "Cripps" Welch

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

Perfidia... 8)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sir Andrew: I always love it when so much is said with a single word.

Looking from the outside in, it seems to me that the relative contribution of Bruce Welch has been minimized by those who may consider that it is only his rhythm guitar that matters. To begin, rhythm guitarists are central to the sound and texture of the music. In support of this comment I offer the talents of John Lennon. Further, Bruce's compostional talents and his role in the arrangements of the groups' tracks cannot be ignored. That this aspect of performing is important, gains strength once again from the talents of John Lennon.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

For adulation from one's guitar-playing peers (or even from one's opinionated-yet-less-talented understudies :P ), a rhythm guitarist often has a no-win situation against his/her lead guitarist. Hank waxes, Bruce wanes. Jeff Beck waxes, Chris Dreja wanes.

I mentioned Perfidia above because--in light of this forum--I've listened to the Ventures version and the Shadows version... and what Bruce plays is much more impressive (to me, anyway) than what Don Wilson ever did.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A great point, Andrew.

I had far more exposure to The Ventures than I did to The Shadows.

As I rediscover the work of The Shadows, I find that their arrangements are more interesting.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I sometimes wonder that without Bruce Welch there may have been no Shadows.

It is a known fact that Bruce and Hank went to London as 16 year olds to try and make it as they say, Hank was offered the job of guitarist in a band that were being put together to back Cliff Richard on what was his first UK tour, Hank would only joined if Bruce was in too,so had the powers that be refused who knows how events would have shaped themselves.

Bruce Welch is often overlooked too as the person who really revived Cliff Richard's career here in the UK.

Richard's success was diminishing but Bruce Welch was handed the task of producing a album for him, Bruce found the writers and songs etc.

That album was called I'm Nearly Famous and re-launched CR as a major player again.

BW went on to produce the next two CR albums Every Face Tells A Story and Green Light before, in my view, being dumped for the next album Rock and Roll Juvenile.

Ironically one track on that album though had been produced by Bruce Welch probably a left over from previous sessions, that song was We Don't Talk Anymore and became Richard's first number 1 for 11 years and one of his biggest selling singles.

Strangely though I personally think Bruce Welch is a reasonable vocalist he has only ever released one solo single Please Mister Please, a song that ironically again became a big US hit for Olivia Newton John.

His failed relationship with her drove Bruce to the brink of suicide.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: This is great history of the early days of the Shadows and the importance of Bruce Welsh in Hank's success is underscored by you comments.

I would be very interested in hearing Please Mister Please.

I agree completely with your comment about the Cliff Richard track We Don't Talk Any More, which I have always considered to be one of his best. Cliff Richard's voice is remarkable with respect to tone and range.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: Your online surprise of Please Mr. Please arrived safely across the pond and I thank you for it.

This vocal by Bruce Welch is very good and you can hear his trademark rhythm, especially in the introduction. The track, which attained reasonable success in 1975 I believe, is performed will by Bruce Welch. It is somewhat reminiscent of Glen Campbell. I am wondering if one of the female background voices is Newton-John and should you have any additional details regarding the production of this track I would be most interested.

I have always been taken by the very fine work of Marvin, Welch and Farrar who had at least two albums of which I am aware. One more country and the other terrific rock. Their vocals and compositions are very strong and the was particularly evident by the Shadows last tour which I think was in 2004.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Song was co-wriiten by Wlech with the late John Rostill who was The Shadows bass player from 64 to 69.

I don't think ONJ is on it and I suspect the song may be somewhat about the relationship.

There was a third Alum Peter in terms of M,W & F but album was basically only Marvin and Farrar and actually called that, Welch appeared on one track only but was not on the album due to fact he was suffering from depression.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: I have just listened to Please Mr. Please again, and I have little doubt but that it was about the breakup of this relationship. It is great writing. Perhaps Bruce Welch has commented about this elsewhere.

PLEASR MR. PLEASE

In the corner of the bar there stands a juke box
with the best of country music old and new
You can hear your five selections for a quarter
and somebody else’s songs when yours are through

I got good Kentucky whiskey on the counter
and my friends around to help me ease the pain
Till some button pushin’ cowboy plays that love song
and here I am just missin’ you again

Please mister please
don’t play B seventeen
It was our song, it was his song
but now it’s over
Please mister please
if you know what I mean
I don’t ever want to hear that song again

If I had a dime for every time I held you
Though you’re far away, you’ve been so close to me
I could swear I’d be the richest girl in Nashville
Maybe even the state of Tennessee

But I guess I’d better get myself together
‘cause when you left you didn’t leave too much behind
Just a note that said I’m sorry by your picture
and a song that’s weighin’ heavy on my mind

(Chorus)

by: Bruce Welch/John Rostill

goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Hi

I'd say that Bruce was indeed very important for the Shadows as a composer, co-composer, arranger, singer and generally being a very strong stage personality with his humour and good nature. However, the actual playing could in IMHO have been done by lots of guitarists, including many members of this site.
I know Bruce himself is of the same opinion.

This does not lessen his importance for the band as a whole.

Goran

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”