Replacement pups in a '72, but what are they?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jakeox
Intermediate Member

Replacement pups in a '72, but what are they?

Post by jakeox »

Hey Sergio, my '72 came with what was described as a "repro bridge pickup". When pressed, the seller thought it was an authentic Ric part, but you've already IDed the bridge pickup surround as a non-Ric part. (Thanks for that -- I have a supposed replacement on the way, we'll see if it's better!)

So ... what is this bridge pickup? Is it Ric? If so, do you know about what era it is from?

And finally, what do I need to do to get this or another replacement pickup modified to be close to '72 spec, if I can't find a true '72?

I know I'm asking tons of questions. I always appreciate the opportunity to learn.
Attachments
pup_side2.JPG
pup_side.JPG
pup_top.JPG
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Replacement pups in a '72, but what are they?

Post by johnallg »

I can answer that, Jake. It is a brand new RIC high gain bridge pickup with the new adjustable pole screws. Should measure around 11.4K ohms on a meter.

I wonder if the whole thing, surround and all, is new? It looks it to me. Do you have a 4003 to compare to?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Here is my 2004 4003 surround - sorry it isn't clearer.
PICT0144 (600 x 450).jpg
jakeox
Intermediate Member

Post by jakeox »

Thanks, John -- that was what I thought it should be. I have a 4003, but it's not currently handy. I would think the whole assembly was bought together, but Sergio pointed out that both the front and back pairs of screws on mine are equally spaced, whereas the back pair should be further apart (as yours appears to be). I don't know if I explained that right but the pics should tell the story. The pickup sounds pretty good, and if it's a new Ric pickup, then that's good if I need to sell it to finance a '72 pickup.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I just looked at the Aria faker auction on the Aussie eBay and the holes on that one are even like yours, but the corners are a lot more squared off. I also looked at a lot of lat 60s and early 70s basses and they all have the hole pattern where the bottom tab is wider like mine.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

This is the surround on my March 73 4001, the mounting holes are almost evenly lined up, with squared off corners.
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

1971 on the left 1972 on the right.
Bridge pickups comp.jpg
1971 square corners, 1972 round corners.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Peter, you call those square corners? What are mine then? :shock:
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

jps wrote:Peter, you call those square corners? What are mine then? :shock:
I would say dangerously sharp corners! :mrgreen:
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hi Jake. Sorry, but I was unable to "come in" until now. Yes, that's a very recent 4003 high-gain. You should have no difficulty selling it, but I'm afraid a working '72 one will prove somewhat hard to come by.
jakeox
Intermediate Member

Post by jakeox »

Thanks, Sergio. What era of pickups would be "correct" to a '72? As in, same production part?
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "same production part", but I can tell you that the treble pickup on a 1972 4001 sports slot head screws for polepieces, a roughly 1/2" tall bobbin, a smaller bar magnet, and an aluminum base plate.
jakeox
Intermediate Member

Post by jakeox »

Thanks, Sergio. What I meant was, what years of 4001 production had the style of bridge pickup found in '72? For example, if I got an original '73 bridge pickup or a '71, would that be "correct" on a '72? How far can I go in either direction?

Honestly, I think the new bridge pickup is a large part of the reason I'm liking the bass so far, so I'm leaning towards leaving it in for now.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Oh. Well, the main difference between a 1971 and a 1973 4001 treble high-gain pickup is the magnet: on a '73 it is larger. Other differences include the type of polepieces (round- or flat head screws), and the look of the bobbin (sprayed black or unsprayed). If you can't find a '72 high-gain pickup look for a '73 one, which will have a larger magnet and hence more output. Cheers.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”