Time and a word

The genius of Chris Squire
lucky

Time and a word

Post by lucky »

On my way to work today i put on my ipod and flicked through the Yes albums and picked TAAW.On the first two tracks i had forgotten how good Chris made his RM1999 sound,playing all over the place for me it was how the Ric bass should sound.
pacealot

Re: Time and a word

Post by pacealot »

Agreed! It seems to me that TAAW marks the first time "that sound" was heard on record - it's a huge refinement from the first album, bass sound-wise. "No Opportunity" is pretty definitive. I know there's been some debate as to whether he used the Fender Tele bass as in the Belgian video, but to my ears I hear only RM1999, even the "dead spots"!

My theory is that, in addition to the newly present Eddie Offord, TAAW may have been when he first recorded with his stereo rewiring. The first album sounds a lot more like a stock mono bass in middle position to me (YMMV). On TAAW there is a lot more clear definition between the top and the bottom, which would continue to be a hallmark of the (1st!) classic Squire Ricky sound.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I have been listening to TAAW again and your right,i think that this album is the start of the RicRickenbacker/Squire sound that made some of us want to learn to play bass & buy a Rickenbacker bass.I know because i was one of them.

Post by 2112 »

It had a major impact on Geddy Lee.
He cites TAAW as a major influence in his bass playing.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

The first two YES albums are my favorites.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

iamthebassman wrote:The first two YES albums are my favorites.
Every time I think one of their albums is my favorite, I think about the rest of them and realize how much I like them all! Steve Howe is my all time favorite guitarist; that said, I still like the albums with Banks and Rabin almost as much. I'm glad we have them all. As far as Time and a word goes, "The Prophet" is as good as any other Yes track, in its own way. Nice guitar playing from Pete Banks on that one.
pacealot

Post by pacealot »

+1 - all the songs where Banks is allowed to play, he shines. It's really too bad that he was mixed out and down for so much of the record. Some of the alternate mixes on the Rhino CD are almost preferable for that reason alone, as you can hear more guitar on a few of them - including "The Prophet" as well. Great stuff....

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”