What Is Your "Go-To" Amp ?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Darkhollow

Re: What Is Your "Go-To" Amp ?

Post by Darkhollow »

dswp wrote:
That is a spare 6 string neck for a 4080/12 doubleneck. It is an interchangeable bolt on.
Ah yes, I should have known to examine the reflection in the television... Impressive collection, I have to go find a towel to clean up this drool puddle now.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

This is my amp for The Eggmen, a Roland DB700 bass combo. 250watts, 1-15" and horn, programmable preamp with "Hofner" and "Ric" presets. I've had it several years now and it has never given me a problem. Weighs a ton but thankfully, I dont have to move it. ;)
Here it is on Austin City Limits:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just love that Austin City Limits photo, Ron. I am betting that background is recognized instantly by most.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

admin wrote:I just love that Austin City Limits photo, Ron. I am betting that background is recognized instantly by most.
Right? Here's a full shot of the stage.
And off my side of the stage, apparently, judging by the lack of guitars in the rack, our lead guitarist hadn't arrived yet. Typical. :wink:
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

Image[/quote]

Ronn........This photo is too rich, man --- too cool! Just curious --- when did The Eggmen perform @ ACL in this photo? Thanks for sharing your pics. Your amp looks killer! Best regards.....Goofyfoot.
Play on, pick often, jam with any Rickenbacker, and prosper.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

In regards to the question asked,my go to amp without a doubt is my 1975 Hiwatt Dr504 4 input halfstack. Clean enough for acoustic, loud enough to kill small animals at 200 yards, headroom and tone for days. This baby is built like a tank, handwired by Harry Joyce to milspec, and in 16 years of use, has only needed the power tubes replaced because one burned out.I have several other amps, but this one I know is always up for the task, and I will never be able to not hear it despite how loud the drummer and bassplayers get. Too many soundmen don't know their butt from a hole in the ground to be trusting them with a low wattage amp(IMHO and experience)and nothing is worse than being at the mercy of a venue with a lame PA and Knucklehead Johnson running the sound.

For you folks that have luck using lower wattage amps, my hat's off to you, everytime I've tried to use one, I wish I would have brought the Hiwatt. It's also great for recording bass.

Jim K., Your 360/12 is gonna sound great through your Kustom tuck and roll amp. I have one from the early 70s that is bright and clean, and my 360/12 is really nice through it. I think you'll be quite happy with the pair.
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

whojamfan wrote:........[my] go to amp without a doubt is my 1975 Hiwatt Dr504 4 input halfstack. Clean enough for acoustic, loud enough to kill small animals at 200 yards, headroom and tone for days.
Whojamfan........Just curious, brah. What pickup/sound system is installed in your acoustics to allow them to tame this beast? Regards.......Goofyfoot.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I had a new yamaha 12 string with their standard undersaddle pickup with built in preamp with tone controls on the top. I put a feedbackbuster rubber plug in the soundhole, and the thing sounded great. The Hiwatt is incredibly clean, and actually used it on an album for the bass. I have used a couple of similar pickup types through the amp, all with good results. Of course, you can't crank the amp as loud as you can with an electric before feedback, but for anything requiring volume of that magnatude, you should run it through a PA. All of the acoustics I've run through it were midline models, not the top or bottom, and simple undersaddle set ups. Hope that answers your questions, but if not, feel free to PM or email me. Rock on with your toaster self Goofyfoot! :D
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

My go-to amp used to be my Sansamp RBI/QSC RMX1450 combination with Carvin 4x10 and Peavey 1x15 cabinets. That is, until this weekend. :twisted: I finally added my Vox Valvetronix to the pile and stumbled upon the sound I've been searching for the last 27 years! Thar she blows!!! I don't even recall what settings I stumbled upon, but I stored them in the Vox so as to never lose them again. Do my usual routine with the rack amp and add in a hint of the fun stuff with the Vox. Almost peed myself listening to the playback after recording it. Definitely a sparkly growl, but not stereotypical Geddy. My own! :D
Amps-004a.jpg
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

whojamfan wrote:I had a new yamaha 12 string with their standard undersaddle pickup with built in preamp with tone controls on the top. I put a feedbackbuster rubber plug in the soundhole, and the thing sounded great. The Hiwatt is incredibly clean, and actually used it on an album for the bass. I have used a couple of similar pickup types through the amp, all with good results. Of course, you can't crank the amp as loud as you can with an electric before feedback, but for anything requiring volume of that magnatude, you should run it through a PA. All of the acoustics I've run through it were midline models, not the top or bottom, and simple undersaddle set ups. Hope that answers your questions, but if not, feel free to PM or email me. Rock on with your toaster self Goofyfoot! :D
Coooool. Thanks to you for your feedback (oooo -- no pun intended), Fan Who Jams To The Who. Peace, out......Goofyfoot.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I thought I'd posted a reply on this thread already-oops. My go to amp is my AC30. Backup/alternate is the AC30 CC2X visible behind me in my avatar photo, but I rarely need a backup. :D
381s with Fawn AC 30 web posting size.JPG
Nickcha

Post by Nickcha »

My main 2 amps for live performance have been a '61 AC30 and a '67 Marshall 1/2 stack. Obviously they are both different. But I've really been impressed with this VOX Heritage AC15 head - very versatile. I mostly use it with an open-back 212 w/ '64 VOX Alnicos. But it loves G12H30 ceramics as well.

However lately I've set up a stereo rig using 2 amps being fed from my pedal board with 2 different delays set at different times. I get a nice blend of 2 different sounds and that whole huge blended delay thing, somewhat like the U2 early sound. I'll either run 2 VOXes (the '61 AC30 and the AC15) or I'll run the AC15 and a '67 Plexi 50w (I really like that sound), BIG and spatial.

I was recently in the studio and dragged in the Marshalls and VOXes. But for pure, raw power and tone, the AC30 cranked up with no effects laid down some wonderful sounding tracks.

This is going to sound weird, but if I had to pick just one amp to cover all the work, I'd have to go with the '67 Plexi 50w. Believe it or not, that amp can do beautiful creamy clean at lower volumes than the AC30. And for that reason it's probably a tad more versatile. If I could control every venue, I'd of course, love to be able to crank up the AC30 and just roll.
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

What are you using for mics on those two amps?
Nickcha

Post by Nickcha »

Nothing special, just a couple Senny 609s.
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”