Welcome Jim Boyle

The genius of Chris Squire
admin
Site Admin

Welcome Jim Boyle

Post by admin »

Please join me in welcoming Jim Boyle as a RRF Consultant to the Chris Squire and Yes Forum. He has been a longstanding fan and I am pleased that he has agreed to lead discussions effective immediately. Thanks Jim.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Welcome Jim Boyle

Post by winston »

Congrats Jim,

I mostly read the posts in your section as there are people like you who are far more knowledgeable on the subject matter than I am.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

First, let me thank Peter for extending me this opportunity. I’d also like to thank the forum member who nominated me and he can come forward if he wants to be recognized. If Chris Squire himself (also a forum member, of course) should ever stop by, welcome to you, Sir, and I hope that you enjoy reading posts on this great forum that Peter so graciously provides.

Most of you who visit this forum will know me from my postings and recognize that I am a long time fan of Chris Squire and Yes, 35 years, in fact, since the release of “Fragile”. I’m still a fan, struggling to learn those elusive bass and guitar lines, as well as happily reading up on the band and their endeavors, past, present and future. I don’t know everything, by a long shot and will still be visiting here to learn from you guys, as I have been for the past two years.

Besides that beautiful RM 1999 4001S that we all covet, I encourage, and will heavily participate in, any and all discussions about Chris, his other guitars and music, other YES member past and present, playing styles, equipment and any personal experiences pertaining to Yes. I will also make it my goal to attempt to persuade Chris himself, through my limited resources, to stop by from time to time to give us an update. I do know through my (very limited) personal contact with him that he is a friendly, down to earth sort of guy. He is exactly as he seems to be.

Thanks again for this opportunity and please visit this forum topic often. You never know who might be reading your stuff!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Thanks for the welcome, Brian, and my apologies for the non-Ric guitar featured in my avatar. The pic is really of our bengal cat, Maggie, as a kitten, hanging off the neck of my ES-135. It made my wife happy so I used it as my avatar.

I'm looking forward to lots of great discussions on the subject of Chris Squire and Yes :D
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Congratulations Jim!

I know you will make a huge contribution to the forum.

Thank you Peter for getting such a great guy as Moderator to run the Chris Squire forum.

I'll make sure I spend a LOT more time there now!

Kudos to you both!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Peter, great choice in Jim! Kudos to both. And I will echo Jim's eval of Chris - very friendly and down to earth. Ahh, just your typical bass player attitude! :lol:
lucky

Post by lucky »

All the best Jim, i know you will be a great asset to the Chris Squire/Yes forum.
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Great stuff Jim!
This forum just gets better!
You can rely on the support of us all here and while I am at it...thanks to Peter for choosing such a great guy to look after this forum.
YEEESSS!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Tony, John, Shawn & Pete - Thank you! We've all had our discussions about Chris Squire and Yes music at one time or another, so you guys know where I stand. I'm looking forward to getting some interesting threads going... How about we all start thinking about our 2008 set list. What do you think YES will perform if they do go on tour later this year, and what do you want to hear? I'm hoping for some real relics to be dusted off. I'll post mine later.

Also, who do you want to see in the lineup?

Pete, Cheers! It's been a few weeks. I never know if my emails are getting through to the U.K or not. How are things with SEYES? Shoot me an email or PM with your mailing address and I'll get you a DVD copy of our "90 minutes of madness" from last July :D

Post by 2112 »

Hi Jim, I'm new here, but welcome. I'm a HUGE Chris Squire fan.

Here's my wishlist for the tour...

(Opening medley)
Beyond And Before
I See You
Then
Everydays
The Prophet
Astrial Traveller

Siberian Khatru
America
Heart of the Sunrise
The Clap/ Mood for a Day
To Be Over
(20 min. TFTO medley)

---intermission---

Yours Is No Disgrace
Close To The Edge
Parallels
Future Times/Rejoice
Onward
Long Distance Runaround
The Fish
And You And I

(encore)
A Venture
Rick Wakeman solo
Awaken
Roundabout
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Hi Thomas. Not a Trevor Rabin fan, eh? That's okay. I do like a lot from that era and actually thought that TALK may have been the best CD of the three, although I don't hear enough of Chris on that one. Still some great stuff. I always thought that Trevor Rabin wanted to prove that he could collaborate well with Jon, so Talk was the result. But I don't hear enough of the signature CS arrangements in either vocals or bass.

I also like "The Ladder", in fact, I couldn't get enough of it when it was released, so I would add a track or two from that one. Run through the light and Does it really happen, from Drama could round things out - Wait, you're saying, What about Tempus Fugit? Great track, but I want the really obscure ones. How about side three of "Tales"!

The one question I had for Chris when we spoke was about a track from Magnification called "Give love each day" which has some of the most beautiful vocal harmonies I've heard from Yes since "Turn of the century". Chris gave me his thoughts, then lamented about the timing of the release of that CD. It was released on 9/11/2001 and was obviously eclipsed by the news of the day.

Post by 2112 »

Oh, I AM a Trevor Rabin fan! And I really like a LOT of newer Yes stuff. Especially The Ladder.
BUT, if I were to put together a setlist that had all of that material, then those guys would kill me.
There's no way they would do a five hour show!! :shock:

But, yeah, I really like the 1969-1979 period the most. not quite 40 years worth, but enough to last a lifetime for me!:)
And, you couldn't punch the smile off of my face if they played that setlist this time around! :D
I'd be scrambling for tickets to even more shows to see that set live, for sure.

Tempus Fugit would be involved with "The Fish" and I'm sure a bit from "On The Silent Wings of Freedom" would be in there as well.
And "The Remembering" is my favorite track from Tales. 8)
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

"And "The Remembering" is my favorite track from Tales."

Chris once spoke of the fretless bass track on "The Remembering" and said it was one of the things he was the proudest of writing. That was done on a Guild fretless, now owned by Vincent Gallo.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

It would be nice to hear an overall selection of "Yes through the years" rather than "Lots of pre 70-78 stuff and then Roundabout" There were good tracks from the Rabin years, the Sherwood years and before and since..
Please Yes, open your ears (and years)
emac.
ram

Post by ram »

Congratulations Jim.... !

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”