ram

Re: YES 40th anniversary tour

Post by ram »

rememeber it is a business....
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

Jim --I was at that concert when the looney jumped Jon. I'll agree that the Post-Gazette Pavilion crowds are not the best. They did behave for Steely Dan/Michael McDonald. But I'm also tired of paying for a seat only to have to stand because the doofus in front of me is standing. I will say, though, That I attended the Yes show at the arena in 1972 and wound up with people stepping in my lap-- yes, my lap--as they tried to jump up and grab the green lasers that rotated over the audience.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Dave, do you mean 1976? I think we had a different mindset in those days. Laser beams and altered states...

At the 2000 concert at Burgettstown, PA, I was seated next to a very timid and meek looking young lady; behind us were a group of guys who felt it was necessary to scream loudly at all the quiet parts (some people just need to hear their own voice). As YES were pounding through the middle section of "Gate of Deliruim", she turned, looked one of the guys in the eye and firmly said "Could you do me one small favor and shut your f#@!*&G mouth for five minutes while Jon sings this next song?" It was great! They all got up and left! But the crowd that night, for some reason, was just not a typical YES audience, just very loud and unruly. Steve Howe Played "The Ancient" classical guitar solo that night and I couldn't hear a note of it. I'm used to Yes fans that sit back and listen. I guess the times are changing or maybe I'm just getting older!

I also remember that Chris Squire and Alan White watched most of the Kansas set from the monitor console stage left. I guess they liked the band's music.

I caught the 1979 tour in Wisconsin but had friends at the show where Jon was attacked. In fact, a few years ago, I transferred an 8mm film where the guy had stopped filming about three seconds before it happened!

So, which part of Pittsburgh do you call home?
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

WOW!

Hey Jim, on 7/16 they are coming to Hershey Park!

CHECK THIS OUT, BRUSH UP ON YOUR CHOPS!

""VH1 Classic Presents: Your Move with Yes" will be launched in early April on
http://VH1Classic.com; VH1 Classic and Yes will be looking for talented aspiring
rock performers to join the band on stage. The winner will be invited to join
Jon Anderson in performing "Give Love Each Day" from the album Magnification."

GET GOING EVERYONE!
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

just_bassics wrote:Dave, do you mean 1976? I

So, which part of Pittsburgh do you call home?
The lasers might have been '76. In '76 had lights set into replicas of the snake's heads on the Relayer cover. I know that the 1972 show was on election night because, about halfway through the set, Jon announced "now that Nixon's back in we all have to hope a little harder..." I though the lasers were relatively new in '72, which is why everyone was astounded by them. I'm sure 2/3 of the crowd was high as well. :shock:

I'm in South HIlls. In 72-73 I was in a band called "Pyewacket" that did Yes covers along with a lot of other British music. Our guitarist was Steve Dudas (http://www.stevedudas.com) ,who just ended a stint with Ringo & the Roundheads.
squirefan01
Intermediate Member

Post by squirefan01 »

Yahoo! I just got tickets for Yes at the Bank of America Pavillion in Boston on 7/23. A great place for a show! I haven't seen them since the Drama tour. Can't wait!!

As an aside I found out that they were playing there today after a friend asked me if I want to see the original Return To Forever band (Corea, Clarke, DiMeola, White) there in August, so that will be great too!!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

oh man! this is the first time since "drama",that i may have to miss the guys. i may be living in memphis or oregon,and nothing is set for the move yet,so either way.....atlanta or sfo is going to be the closest,but where will I be? :( thank goodness for well produced concert dvds......

Post by 2112 »

woodyng wrote:oh man! this is the first time since "drama",that i may have to miss the guys. i may be living in memphis or oregon,and nothing is set for the move yet,so either way.....atlanta or sfo is going to be the closest,but where will I be? :( thank goodness for well produced concert dvds......

It might just be the last chance you have to see Yes. :shock:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

thomas-i know! i mean,we've already "lost" rick ,as far as the live appearance goes,and none of us are getting any younger...my life,job,etc,are all in a state of flux for 2008,and i have no timetable for when i will be moving. i have been to every tour since 1972,except for drama,and i was just out of the loop on that one-would love to have seen "machine messiah" performed live. i probably will buy tix for atlanta,and hope i am still in memphis in august. (oh god did i just really say that? :lol: ), cuz its extreemly miserable here in august..........
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

2112 wrote:It might just be the last chance you have to see Yes. :shock:
I gave my right ear to the Rolling Stones on their announced Last Tour - about 14 years and at least 8 tours ago. True Yes are not getting any younger, but it is in their dna!

Post by 2112 »

Well, I did say it MIGHT be the last chance to see Yes. :mrgreen:
ram

Post by ram »

It's their 40 anniversary tour... if it's the last OK if it's not great. I have just always loved their shows. Seen most every incarnation since Relayer..... at worst they are great and when everything is going just right they are unbelievable.
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

Well, it looks like Chicago will be my first YES show. I can't wait!
windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

brianeharmonjr wrote:Well, it looks like Chicago will be my first YES show. I can't wait!
Cool beans! I've lost count myself, I hope to get some tix to Jones Beach for this tour. The DVDs they have been releasing from the last few tours are great for the "fond memories" and reliving the past, but to see them in the flesh is a treat that can't compare.
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Ah yes,

I've seen MANY a show at Jones Beach...some great, some....well not so great!

Pray for a clear night!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”