Variation in body shapes for 360 guitars

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

G7flat5

Variation in body shapes for 360 guitars

Post by G7flat5 »

I have a re-issue 1993 double bound 360 V64 and a 1997 360 V64 . They have cosiderable differences in the body shape. The upper and lower cutaways are different. The 1993 is closer to an original yet still a bit smaller, and the 1997 re-issue has larger more pronounced cutaways. If the 36012V63 has the exact shape then most of the Rickenbacker 360 types before them really do not have the original vintage shape just variations on a theme. Any info to share?
Has anyone seen a O.S. double bound 360 with bound sound hole and 21 fret neck in fireglo they would like to sell or direct me to. Also a double bound fireglo with F hole.Thank you.
arbiter

Re: Variation in body shapes for 360 guitars

Post by arbiter »

its confusing to refer to them as the 1993 and 1997 as those are also Ric models :D
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Gerry Beckley of America has an O.S 360/12 with bound sound hole
http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_ima ... _year=1980

When i was buying my 360/12V64 back in 1989, i was going to order it with a bound sound hole, it was a £60 extra
Wish i had now ,it looks cool.
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

jch wrote:Gerry Beckley of America has an O.S 360/12 with bound sound hole

When i was buying my 360/12V64 back in 1989, i was going to order it with a bound sound hole, it was a £60 extra
Hey John - did you have the option of ordering a bound sound hole on a 360/12v64? Cool. It would be great to have a list of order options not available in North America, the years they were offered, and where they were offered. I remember being in Amsterdam in the late '90s and seeing new burgandyglo ricks in stock (not the 450v) and wishing I could fit one in my back-pack :)

As for the 360 body shape, I'm not sure just how much modern variation there is to this but they're certainly a different shape than the old O.S. ricks from the '60's, which to my eye look more 'curvaceous' for lack of a better word. Certain photos of George Harrison and Gerry Marsden really show this difference.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jch wrote:Gerry Beckley of America has an O.S 360/12 with bound sound hole

Interesting. I didn't know that was an available option for the OS/V64 models. You're right, it would have been worth it; binding on the soundhole makes it far more striking.

The horns are a bit rounder for the WB models than those on 60s era models and the new 330s and 36012/C63, which are sharper. there are probably other variations as well.
Last edited by paologregorio on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Chris & Paul,
yes when i was deciding what i was going to order i phoned a shop in the UK, Winfield Music .
I was thinking of getting an R tail and the sound hole binding.

I've just had a look for the letter they sent me and this is what it says;

Thanks for the enquiry reguarding the 360/12V64 ,The tail piece is an extra £61 and the sound hole binding is an extra £39.
The guitar would have to be ordered specially from the USA because of the extra binding and we would fit the tail piece.
As for delivery,we have been quoted 12 to 16 weeks to us,this is because of the unique features you require.

12 to 16 weeks ,they where the days! And £39 for the sound hole binding! :D

I do wish i had gone with it but i couldn't wait a second more ,and had to have it right there and then!

I have a copy of the catalogs for 1985 and on the back of the colour selector was the Custom Options.
And it mentions optional extra binding,it says;
Deluxe 300 series guitars may be ordered with binding on both front and back edges of the body.
Traditional to guitars of the early 60's this option is not available on standard model guitars.

It shows a pic of a red 300 series guitar with double binding and bound sound hole!
This could be a 360WB though, so.....
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Some of the differences in body shape are due to worn templates that were used on the pin routers prior to CNC machining.
"The best things in life aren't things."
G7flat5

Post by G7flat5 »

Yes , now that they have the CNC machine they will be consistant. If you look at a 360 V64 and a 360C63 you will see the V64 has a very pointy larger lower cutaway than the original style spec. In fact most 360's made from 1970's on (aside from a few) had the same extra large extra pointed lobster claw cutaway which while it is cool looking is really is not vintage specs. My 1993 re-issue 360V64 six string is closer to vintage shape but is also a 1/4 smaller all the way around than a vintage 360 and the later 1997 re-issue 360V64's. If I knew how to post a picture I have them side by side and many example pictures.The 1993 re-issue has the correct vintage color verses the more pinkish fireglo and the shape is closer to an original.
In 1966 I ordered a 360 six string O.S. with double binding with checkerboard binding and BOUND F hole!!! I couldn't wait for the custom order time so I ended up taking a new style 365 that was in the store. Someone else took my order.This guitar is real and is out there . It has recently popped up at a music store but the stores ownwer wsill not disclose who the owner is. I designed that guitar in 1966 , I wish I could find the owner and at least take pictures of it,It would be so Rare! Rickenbacker said they do not have records of production that go back that far.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Welcome to the forum Joe. Just click on the "Upload attachment" when posting to add a pic. There are size limitation though. If you can't get it, email the pic to me and I will put it up for you.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

For Joe Gozzo:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

I missed one yesterday. Looking back I see I also misspelled your last name Joe. It is too late for me to edit it, sorry.
Untitled.jpg
G7flat5

Post by G7flat5 »

In 1966 at Sid Sherman Music in Chicago I ordered a 360 six string O.S. double bound with checkerboard binding and BOUND F hole!!! I couldn't wait for the custom order time delay so I ended up taking a new style 365 that was in the store. Someone other kid took over my order that did not mind waiting.This guitar is real and is out there . It has shown up at a music store in the last 10 years but the stores owner will not disclose who the owner is. I designed that guitar in 1966 , I wish I could find the owner and at least take pictures of it,It would be so Rare! Rickenbacker said they do not have records of production that go back that far. Can you imagine O.S. 360 double bound with checkerboard body binding and BOUND Rose Morris F HOLE!! Anyone who has info or pictures of this please contact me. Thanks, Joe

Hi, Any luck on finding pix of the guitar I designed? Thanks, Joe
trosse

Post by trosse »

ken_j wrote:Some of the differences in body shape are due to worn templates that were used on the pin routers prior to CNC machining.
Rickenbacker began CAD/CAM routing long before that - and CAD/CAM implies no physical templates. The same thing about worn templates has been said about Gibsons and Fenders - but templates for industrial use are made of hardened steel and the router that cuts the wood use a small wheel to follow the contures of the templates. Theres no wear on the templates at all.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

trosse wrote:templates for industrial use are made of hardened steel and the router that cuts the wood use a small wheel to follow the contures of the templates. There's no wear on the templates at all.
Good point! And welcome to RRF, Troels!

Still, what could cause the difference - different templates? Sanding?
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
buchrob

Post by buchrob »

It's far more likely that the ORIGINAL plans don't exist as such, just some parts in detail but others inferred.

This would explain why we've seen B, v and c incarnations of the 325, all purporting to be vintage re-issues, yet in many ways different, and pre-dating the CAD/CAM era.

It's also not unheard of for manufacturers to make running changes and do trials as problems or improvements come to light, without necessarily identifying a change to the public.

If you want to order parts for your 1967 Chevy, it's more than likely you will be asked for the serial number because many parts from the start of the run will not fit end-of-line production.

Then there is the issue of translating old templates to the CAD/CAM system, probably using a combination of whatever physical models are available, and maybe finding that the finished result didn't quite look right and had to be modified...

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”