Sergio built HS bobbin for my 2006 Monty 4003

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

ajish4
RRF Moderator

Sergio built HS bobbin for my 2006 Monty 4003

Post by ajish4 »

Well, it's been a L O N G road, and an expesnive and patience trying one at that.

I'll try not to put you all to sleep with all the details that lead to the birth of this little one. BUT, it took slightly over 2 years to get this pair of shoes put together. Both Sergio & I learned a LOT during the process.

WHAT I WILL tell you is that when my luthier called me and said "IT IS DONE", I jumped for joy!

Sergio made this HS BOBBIN from scratch. We scrounged for months to find parts to make the bobbin, the proper magnets, then MORE PROPER magnets, then the FINAL MAGNETS (thanks John Allgaier for your time, patience and contributions) a few re-builds and installs later....TA DA!

Here she is...sorry, not the greatest pictures, but they will have to do for now.
2006 4003 VP/VC Monty with HS
2006 4003 VP/VC Monty with HS
One of the last Monty's
One of the last Monty's
When my Monty came with a factory installed toaster, I KNEW I had to get a HS somehow.
It kicks A@@! My luthier said "it almost sounds like an ACTIVE" pickup, it is the HOTTEST, CLEAREST, (insert dirty worrds here) I've ever heard on a RIC"!

It is the best of BOTH worlds, the sweet bell like sound of the vintage HS pickups, combined with the IN YOUR FACE power of a RI HS. PLUS it has the factory VTC, and walnut ears...she was in the LAST batch to ship from RIC.

SO, I guess that is it. Sergio is currently making me ANOTHER bobbin for ANOTHER set of shoes that if I understood the email correctly, is done & ready to ship? YES? :shock: :D

I have to admit, I was doubtful this new bobbin was going to sound anything RIC like, but to my delight, it does, and then some.

Thanks Sergio!
paologregorio

Re: Sergio built HS bobbin for my 2006 Monty 4003

Post by paologregorio »

Congrats on your Sérgio HS!

Sérgio Rocks! I love the p/ups he built for my 360 WB.

John Allg helped me find two sources for magnets as well.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Nice going, Tony and Sérgio ! :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Congrats Tony that is a beautiful looking bass.

At the risk of repeating myself over and over, Sergio is the best. He is a genius when it comes to pickups. Congrats on a job well done. Yet another happy customer.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I was thinking of sending him a couple of broken (vintage Strat and vintage J-Bass) pickups to have rewound. I was thinking of having the J bass p/up wound RWRP for hum cancelling. I'll have to ask him about that...
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

If Sergio doesn't do the Fender pickups, there are plenty of excellent boutique winders around who will. I know three that could do an excellent job. (Jason Lollar, Wolfe Macleod, Dave Stephens) They hang out at the Ampage pickup forum and they all have websites too.

Greg

http://music-electronics-forum.com/foru ... y.php?f=11
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hey Tony/fellows!

Yeah, Tony, HS bobbin number two is done and ready to go. I should be able to ship it monday afternoon.

I certainly do F pickups, the easiest to put together/rewind/"hot rod" - I've done them all - F bass pickups that is :mrgreen:

Cheers.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Cool!!! Now about those Sérgio rocks? I did find one!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Tony, I am so happy to hear this has finally worked out and is in the bass and working. I know what you went through to get to this point. I forgot I helped you with this one... I've just one thing to say - ROCK OUT LIKE MOTORHEAD!!! :lol: :roll:

You need a Pickguardian 4003 vintage guard on that one - it would take routing for the 1/2" position, but would look great.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Congrats Tony, looks great!
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

johnallg wrote:Tony, I am so happy to hear this has finally worked out and is in the bass and working. I know what you went through to get to this point. I forgot I helped you with this one... I've just one thing to say - ROCK OUT LIKE MOTORHEAD!!! :lol: :roll:

You need a Pickguardian 4003 vintage guard on that one - it would take routing for the 1/2" position, but would look great.
LOL, I love that "Rock out like Motorhead" thing!

I thought about it John, I really did. BUT, I wasn't sure if the bass had to be routed for the 1/2" spacing. I didn't want to do ANYTHING that isn't reversible. I'd also like to find a vintage bridge pickup surround one of these days.

This bass is a keeper so I'm in no rush, I want to do it right. The entire bass whs copper shielded as well, and it is the best late model 4003 I've had my hands on. It balances perfectly, the neck while not THIN isn't a chubby either. Just a sweet all around bass, and to top that off, it was a gift from my Father-in_Law! It really kicks butt.

Thanks again for all your help. The NEXT pickup should be on its way to me soon, I'll then send her on to you if you don't mind fo rthe mags. I can't thank you enough for all your help through this.

THANKS to Joey as well for the patience in listening me explode when something went wrong.

You guys are the best! :wink:

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”