Intermediate Member

Re: JMI Amps

Post by jsm610 »

yes
:D
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

I just got one, best sounding thing I've ever heard.
espidog

Post by espidog »

Congratulations! Now you own a REAL Vox. :wink:
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

Yes, now I need a power attenuator though. It's loud.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Whew! Pricey! I'm glad I bought my old Vox when I did.

It's cheaper to have a CC2X converted to HW.
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

I actually got a great deal on the JMI. Apparently the one I got was part of a trade between the US rep and my dealer. Kind of a special circumstance.
_WMP2714.jpg
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

That's good, because the one I'd buy, the JM 30/6/TB/BG/B JM 30W 6 INPUT TOP-BOOST BEIGE W/ALNICO-BLU, lists for $4553.90: http://www.jmiamplification.com/

I like the fact that they have the original style fawn tolex. It's my favorite. I avoid buying amplifiers with black tolex if I can help it; I have a Super Rev RI in black, a CC2X in black, but the rest are blonde or fawn. :D
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

I actually liked the 30/4 better than the 30/6/TB, they had both so I could compare. Ended up getting the 30/4 with the blues in fawn.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

What is the JMI 15 Twin going for?
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

No idea, they don't have one. I ended up buying a JMI AC-4 as well. I couldn't pass it up knowing I'll probably never see one again. Paying for them both is the fun part, already sold my Vox, working on selling my Orange & Gibson.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

JMI is currently in litigation with Korg/Vox for making copies of their amps. JMI only registered a long dead name, and began producing amps off of the original schematics that have long since become public domain(sneaky!) No one from any era of Jennings or Vox has anything to do with this company,they just used the name, and build clones. Whether or not they are good is irrelevant, because they didn't invent them, and market them to people as "real" Voxes, which they are not.

There have been a couple of Amp builders here that have got cease and desist orders for the same reason. This is no different than someone making fake Ricks and claiming that they were made like the originals.Korg is in litigation because the looks are too similar to their copywritten product. I see no difference between what Korg is doing, and what RICs done since day one.

Yes, it is a shame Vox doesn't make AC4s and AC10s and 2x10 AC15s, as well as Ac50s,T60s, and AC100s and some other models I may have forgot about, but that's the way it is. Any competent tube amp technician can build you any one of these amps for a fraction of the cost, and you can put them in any cabinet you want. Or, you can shop around and really get the "genuine" article.
greg_feo

Post by greg_feo »

One of the best amps Ive ever purchased, and I've had em all.
whojamfan wrote:Whether or not they are good is irrelevant, because they didn't invent them, and market them to people as "real" Voxes...
A pretty bold statement full of untruths.

Just a couple of questions 4u.
Q:
How is it irrelevant?
A:_________________

I dont agree, nor do I hear them tell anyone what you say here.
Q: Where is this marketed as a Vox?
A:__________________________

It is what it is.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

greg_feo wrote:One of the best amps Ive ever purchased, and I've had em all.
whojamfan wrote:Whether or not they are good is irrelevant, because they didn't invent them, and market them to people as "real" Voxes...
A pretty bold statement full of untruths.

Just a couple of questions 4u.
Q:
How is it irrelevant?
A:_________________

I dont agree, nor do I hear them tell anyone what you say here.
Q: Where is this marketed as a Vox?
A:__________________________

It is what it is.

You're absolutely right, it is what it is, and it isn't what it isn't.

While directly marketing them as a Vox amp would be a blatent trademark infringement, the implications are undeniably there. One is unmistakenably under the impression that they are getting what is known as a "genuine" or "Golden era" Vox. They are styled after a Vox, and directly marketed to people who are in the market for a vintage Vox, but want something they beleive is more reliable. It is definitely a word of mouth thing, such as on this forum and many others like it. If the amp looked different, but sounded the same, there wouldn't be anywhere near the interest in it. JMI, which means "old Vox" to anyone, knows this, and capitalizes on it. I fail to see any untruth in the statements I have made.

As far as them being irrelevant in the way that they sound, it was in the context of them being what they are-Vox clones. I'm sure they sound great, and had better for the money they cost. I'm not slagging anyone who owns one, but I just take issue with a company that registers a long dead name all under the guise of making people believe that they are something they are not. Being that they neither created or designed them supports my "bold" statements on their marketing strategies. Anyone who thinks these amps were made to be anything other than vintage Vox clones has their head in the sand, IMHO.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck........................................

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”