miguelbass

Close To The Edge (bass intro)

Post by miguelbass »

1. Melody

The riff of CttE's intro is based on the D minor harmonic scale
D E F G A Bb C# D

However we can consider more exactly that it uses its 2nd degree mode:
E F G A Bb C# D E

(to quote Chris "to see exactly what they are, you have to go look in the package" ) :)

Other notes are used, but my point is that this particular scale is let's say the basis.

2. Rhythm

Rhytmically, considering the quadruple compound time signature of 12 by 8, we would have three 8ths in each beat (those are not triplets), and consequently 12 each bar.
Note that are some rhytmic variations, this is a streamlined version only.
Thus our 2-bar riff has 24 notes to be found:)

3. Analising the notes

As this is a compound time signature (3 notes per beat) let's make a kind of grid in text format with the yet nameless notes.

|1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3|1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3|

the notes in the 1 position have the typical accent of being in the first subdivision of each beat.
No wonder they are the most consensual for listners for they are the "easiest" to listen, since they are exactly the scale notes.
This scale also features when the bass comes in on the very beginning - the longer notes (two per bar) and on the closing of the intro... the very fast ones.

|E-_-_ F-_-_ G-_-_ A-_-_|Bb-_-_ C#-_-_ D-_-_ E-_-_|

Now what's the subdivision with the next biggest weight (accent) on a compound time sig? The 3rd. Adding the notes I hear on all 3rd subdivisions,
we can see that they still belong to the scale.

|E-_-D F-_-D G-_-D A-_-D|Bb-_-A C#-_-A D-_-A E-_-A|

Only "D's and 'A's? That makes sense. Think of the D's and the A's as if it were
continuous pedal notes that would be like a bass for the melody notes (the scale notes on position 1)

So this is actually very modal-like, with the 1st bar based on the fundamental/final (D) and the second bar based of the dominant (A)
and most rightly creating the tension to resolve on the next repetition.
Just imagine if the riff used these two (instead of three) notes per subdivision, it would be already very well defined.

So that leaves us with the 2nd and "weakest" position.

If we first concentrate on the 1st bar, we have (by my ears)

|E-C#-D F-C#-D G-C#-D A-C#-D|

That C# can be viwed as a scale note, after all it belongs to the scale. And makes sense as it is the 7th degree of D, played on the "off" subdivision
and leading to the D note.

on the second bar my ears tell me this on the 1st time Chris plays:

|Bb-G#-A C#-A-A D-C#-A E-G#-A|

However on the second time

|Bb-A-A C#-A-A D-C#-A E-A-A|

that means, the 'G#'s are mere chromatisms to 'A' (don't belong to the original scale) and they are sometimes substituted be the 'A' itself on the middle position.

Another side conclusion is that the C# on the 1st bar can also be thought as a chromatism to D,
and in a streamlined version of the riff, (almost) all second notes would be chromatisms to the third notes (C#-D and G#-A), being the 3rd beat of the 2nd bar the exception (D-C#-A).

This seems to me it's not intentional, instead it's the "heat" of the performance / recording session that makes this wonderful variations. However, and as i am doing a post-analisys
it streeses the point that the notes in the middle position of a three-subdivision are the ones with less weight so that they carry these chromatisms and even may not be played everytime the same way
as the riff is strongly defined with the remaining notes.

On the third repetition Chris "breaks the rule" a bit further on the 2nd bar

|Bb-A-A D-G#-A D-C#-A E-A-A|

Here the "theoretical" C# on the 2nd beat (1st subdivision) was played as D, and thus it appeared twice on the 1st position notes (Bb__ D___ D___ E___).

What I think it's beautiful here it's that this little "chaos" serves beautifully the music, whether some notes are played accidentally or sound "out of the logic", that is one of the many beauties
of Yes music and Chris' playing in particular.

Throughout the recording and counltess live versions you will hear many other variations. It means that each time Chris will play his basslines, he will not be
playing only the music he wrote. He will be still recreating his own music.

Miguel

P.S.: so the "streamlined" fingering would be:

A7_E9_10
A8_E9_10
A10_E9_10
D7_E9_10

A13_A11/12_A12
D11_A12_A12
D12_D11_A12
D14_A11/12_A12
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Re: Close To The Edge (bass intro)

Post by just_bassics »

Whew! Okay, Miguel, words cannot express... Great Post! If I were Chris reading this, I would be impressed.

This is a tricky part for all of the reasons you mention and this is by far the best breakdown of it that I've seen. You did confirm one point for me, in the original riff that I posted, all of the main notes follow the opening D minor harmonic scale (2nd position), so at least my ears are working correctly on the main parts. It's the "grace notes", the ones falling on the 2 & 3 weaker beats that give this phrase it's expressive power. So, as an individual player, as long as the correct scale stays intact with grace notes still adhereing to the scale, it is possible to play this riff "correctly" with many variations, as Chris himself does. I've noticed that the various live versions have variations in the number of times the riff is repeated, allowing Steve Howe to extend and improvise his part - I wonder if even that changes from night to night based on cues from Steve?

This entire composition warrants an extensive study and this is a great start. I can't thank you enough for getting this information to us - What a way to join the forum! Most people just get asked to post a picture of their nicest Ric, but I asked you to break down this elusive riff and you were up to the task. Well Done! I'll bet you get a lot more requests for other pieces as well, so thanks in advance for all that you contribute. We welcome non music theory posts as well, so please enlighten us as to what got you started on bass, Yes music, music in general, etc... My next question would be how your transcriptions wound up on Chris' website? When did Chris become aware of your work?

Okay, you can have the rest of the week off!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Wow. Great explanation Miguel. Thank you. I had to copy/paste your post to a text document and save it. I also made another document of just the tab with variations repeated to fill the 16 bar intro. :shock:

Now to practice.... :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:Wow. Great explanation Miguel. Thank you. I had to copy/paste your post to a text document and save it. I also made another document of just the tab with variations repeated to fill the 16 bar intro. :shock:

Be sure to have it ready to play on Saturday. :mrgreen:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:
johnallg wrote:Wow. Great explanation Miguel. Thank you. I had to copy/paste your post to a text document and save it. I also made another document of just the tab with variations repeated to fill the 16 bar intro. :shock:

Be sure to have it ready to play on Saturday. :mrgreen:
Uhhhhh, yeah....
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Pete, where are you? I know you're lurking, I can see your name at the bottom! :lol:
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Blimey!
Is that what I was playing last night?
I knew they would have a name for it!
I only managed "O" Level music.
To quote Ian Dury..."There aint half been some clever b*****s".

I just looked at the soundcheck footage that my daughter took.
Its a bit vague because we only had the house lights on and then later during the show she was by the mixing desk and its a bit too far back to see the detail.
I will see what I can get to put on the computer.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

F W I W I tried Miguel's rendition last night (without Yes) and just from memory it sounds pretty right. Like I said, F W I W and it was not consistent or smooth either (my playing!). :lol:
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Hey Miguel - Get your passport ready and meet us at RIO! You too, Pete!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

just_bassics wrote:Hey Miguel - Get your passport ready and meet us at RIO! You too, Pete!
:lol: :lol: It would be great!
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

The passports ready...I work at Manchester Airport..... I just need............CASH!
yesmrsquire

Post by yesmrsquire »

it sounds more difficult that what it actually is. lol
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

just_bassics wrote:Whew! Okay, Miguel, words cannot express... Great Post! If I were Chris reading this, I would be impressed.

This is a tricky part for all of the reasons you mention and this is by far the best breakdown of it that I've seen. You did confirm one point for me, in the original riff that I posted, all of the main notes follow the opening D minor harmonic scale (2nd position), so at least my ears are working correctly on the main parts. It's the "grace notes", the ones falling on the 2 & 3 weaker beats that give this phrase it's expressive power. So, as an individual player, as long as the correct scale stays intact with grace notes still adhereing to the scale, it is possible to play this riff "correctly" with many variations, as Chris himself does. I've noticed that the various live versions have variations in the number of times the riff is repeated, allowing Steve Howe to extend and improvise his part - I wonder if even that changes from night to night based on cues from Steve?

This entire composition warrants an extensive study and this is a great start. I can't thank you enough for getting this information to us - What a way to join the forum! Most people just get asked to post a picture of their nicest Ric, but I asked you to break down this elusive riff and you were up to the task. Well Done! I'll bet you get a lot more requests for other pieces as well, so thanks in advance for all that you contribute. We welcome non music theory posts as well, so please enlighten us as to what got you started on bass, Yes music, music in general, etc... My next question would be how your transcriptions wound up on Chris' website? When did Chris become aware of your work?

Okay, you can have the rest of the week off!
Hello Jim, thank you very much (You too, John!) for your comments on my little analisys.

I agree with you, as long as the main subdivision notes are there, it can be considered "correct", especially when played live and the intro may get shorter or (most of cases) longer according to Steve Howe's improvisation. There are many variations, I guess derived from all of the band's input, including Chris himself. It really gives room to a big dissertation, a very interesting one, that in the end can spread to all of Yes' music!

To answer some of your questions, my passion for bass started when I started listening to my parents beatles records. I asked my dad why was listed there a "bass" a "solo/lead" and a "rhythm" guitar. My dad (formerly a guitar player) tried to explain me the purpose of each one, and I figured that the "bass" has perhaps the most subtle or mysterious role... something abstract that i still wasn't fully aware (i was a child). I kept asking my dad about this "bass guitar" constantly and he showed me one of the basslines that he liked the most (Paperback Writer) by panning the stereo to the bass side. I was amazed - there was this low frequency sound, that was making "a song on its own", somehow repetitive... which seemed to be speaking to himself, in another language than the other instruments which were much more direct and "in-your-face".
When I put both channels back together I understood how it worked so good and basically boosted the whole piece... I remember I started to do this with many Beatles recordings and found out the great basslines of Paul McCartney, and most of all, developed an ear to track the bass on every song I would listen.

I just got my 1st bass when I was 15/16 maybe, before that I played the low strings of my dad's acoustic... basically playing along to records by ear... that's the early eighties and listening to the Radio... somewhere in 83 there was a band with a very nice, modern new sound that at the time here in Portugal was called "techno rock" - Owner of a Lonely Heart... I had no idea of Yes at the time and I just knew that song... and the eighties went on... When I started playing bass, my model bass players were Pete Trewavas (Marillion), John Deacon (Queen), Michael Steele (The Bangles), and Peter Hook (Joy Division). Later Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) too.

Around that time, a good friend of mine who was a YesFan already tried to convince me to like Yes because it had the "bassist that plays the bass as a guitar". Usually I really don't like this adjective :D I like bassists who play the bass like a bass!!! But I understood what he meant as he is not really a musician... well, he lent me Tormato... and when I heard "Future Times/Rejoice" and "Arriving UFO"... I thought - that's IT!!! And soon he had to lend me all his collection of Yes albums! And of course then came Fragile and Roundabout... I think I don't need or can't adjectivate enough the bass on that record...

So I am afraid from then on I spent many many hours and days listening, playing along and discovering the music of Chris & Yes... (to cut a long story short...) and of course it became my major influence on every band I was playing. The must funny influence perhaps was that when I saw for the 1st time Yes on video (9012 Live), I decided imediatelly that I should get a short scale bass!!! Of course then I realised (after I bought it) that it wasn't the bass that was short... and I corrected my choice to a Rickenbacker!!!

In 2000, I was in London to see Yes for the second time, I managed to give a CD with some basslines to Chris...

Meanwhile (and not consequently, I think) I got an email from Chris' webmaster (on the former official site) inviting me to contribute with some text for some parts of the site. Then came the idea of adding the transcriptions. It seems that by then Chris approved the idea and suggested to include the mp3s. Of course I was overwhelmed with the idea but I thought I should make new ones as I thought that the first ones were not good enough for ... Chris' website! And I wanted to make transcriptions as better as I could. So that's how it happened.

A nice weekend for everyone here!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Miguel, great story, and not too long! Interesting it seems you discovered Yes in reverse, starting with Loner. I found Yes when The Yes Album came out, then found the first two. Then it was each new as they came. Many times I had to grow with Yes as they changed over the years.

What an experience and probably a little intimidating being approached to contribute to Chris's website. And also to include your mp3s. Congratulations.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

johnallg wrote:Miguel, great story, and not too long! Interesting it seems you discovered Yes in reverse, starting with Loner. I found Yes when The Yes Album came out, then found the first two. Then it was each new as they came. Many times I had to grow with Yes as they changed over the years.

What an experience and probably a little intimidating being approached to contribute to Chris's website. And also to include your mp3s. Congratulations.

Hello John!

For sure it was a bit scary, that's why I decided to redo the mp3 and really tried to do it as close as I could, and remaking the mp3.
As you said i discovered Yes in reverse, although I was aware of OoaLH back in 83, by that time I wasn't yet much of a fan, I listened to the radio and I would listen to that song, as well as other major hits at the time, for example "Jump" was another big hit here in Portugal... I was just 11 by then :)
It wasn't until 88 or 89, in a period where Yes were not active that I dicovered Yes by way of my friend. Then I had to wait until the "Union" days to be in the position to wait
for the "new album of my favourite band" :)))

M

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”