Gretsch pick ups.

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Re: Gretsch pick ups.

Post by gellkeller »

The advantage of getting a Falcon with the Dynasonics is that you get the headstock with the vertical Gretsch logo. I believe it looks sooooo much better like that.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

paologregorio wrote: In your opinion, would the TLDS with the aged nitro lacquer be worth the extra expense tonally over the gloss urethane finish?
Nope.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jingle_jangle wrote:
paologregorio wrote: In your opinion, would the TLDS with the aged nitro lacquer be worth the extra expense tonally over the gloss urethane finish?
Nope.
Cool. Thanks for the 411 Paul!

I hope you're having a great Independence Day weekend!
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

Thanks for everyones input on this.

I really didn't have a clue where to start.

Based on all the advice and input from you guys I've now made a choice.

Here it is! :)
http://www.gretschguitars.com/125th/g6118t.html

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/inde ... 2=&q=&st=1

Thanks again.

Rob.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

You WILL be very happy with this choice. I saw the guitar in person at NAMM in January, and despite its not being a "Deluxe" model, it is very appealing with its vintage paint colors.

The Filtertrons are the best humbuckers on the market, IMO. They have more "spank" than any other dual-coil, but not as much as the Dynas.

I think that this model will be my next Gretsch purchase. Then I want a 6192.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

jingle_jangle wrote:You WILL be very happy with this choice. I saw the guitar in person at NAMM in January, and despite its not being a "Deluxe" model, it is very appealing with its vintage paint colors.

The Filtertrons are the best humbuckers on the market, IMO. They have more "spank" than any other dual-coil, but not as much as the Dynas.

I think that this model will be my next Gretsch purchase. Then I want a 6192.
The things that really appeal to me on this beauty, apart from the TV Jones PowerOtron pick ups, are that it has locking tuners and a pinned bridge which will hopefully help keep the thing in tune when using the Bigsby.

Oh and it looks amazing, the pictures certainly don't do the guitar justice.

So, have you got a few Gretsches then Paul?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Mateybob wrote:So, have you got a few Gretsches then Paul?
Me, or Paul W? I I have a few. I think Paul W. probably has a few more.

I have the following:
`53 no cutaway Corvette Electromatic in Tobacco sunburst, equipped with a single Dynasonic.
`65 Chet Atkins Tennessean in a Dark Walnut, with Hilotrons. This was my first Gretsch. :D
`57 Silver Jet RI with Dynasonics and a Bigsby. This is my go to Gretsch: http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/inde ... 2=&q=&st=1
The fixed Arm Bigsby Duo jet RI with Dynasonics. I think it's supposed to be just like the one Cliff Gallup from Gene vincent's band played. It has the same layout as my Silver Jet: http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/inde ... 2=&q=&st=1
A 6120 DSW http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/inde ... 2=&q=&st=1

That's it for the moment. Next on the list are the following:
The White Falcon with Dynasonics. I'll add the period correct Bigsby: http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/inde ... 2=&q=&st=1
The Chet Atkins solid body: http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/inde ... 2=&q=&st=1

Paul W's Gretsch collection is more substantial, and much cooler, I'm sure. :D
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

About a dozen, Rob. Six are Professional models, Four are Electromatics, and two are specials that I constructed or modded.

My five Professional models are:

'05 6122-59 (the Chet "replica" created with the assistance of Paul Yandell, Chet's longtime collaborator and rhythm player)
'06 Setzer "Hot Rod", Candy Apple Red (One control--volume.)
'04 6120JR2 (small-bodied version of the classic Gretsch Orange hollowbody 6120)
'06 6119HTV (Like George's HiLo Tron equipped hollowbody)
'07 Billy-Bo Penguin (Like the Billy-Bo, but antique white lacquer fiish and gold sparkle trim; basically kitted-out like a White Falcon. One of 22 made to special order by Shanghai Music.)
'03 6114 New Jet (Gretsch's attempt to build a Les Paul. Flame maple top on mahogany body, crazy hot HT humbucker pickups. A forgotten gem.)

The Electros are all single-cut and double-cut Pro Jets.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

jingle_jangle wrote:About a dozen, Rob. Six are Professional models, Four are Electromatics, and two are specials that I constructed or modded.

My five Professional models are:

'05 6122-59 (the Chet "replica" created with the assistance of Paul Yandell, Chet's longtime collaborator and rhythm player)
'06 Setzer "Hot Rod", Candy Apple Red (One control--volume.)
'04 6120JR2 (small-bodied version of the classic Gretsch Orange hollowbody 6120)
'06 6119HTV (Like George's HiLo Tron equipped hollowbody)
'07 Billy-Bo Penguin (Like the Billy-Bo, but antique white lacquer fiish and gold sparkle trim; basically kitted-out like a White Falcon. One of 22 made to special order by Shanghai Music.)
'03 6114 New Jet (Gretsch's attempt to build a Les Paul. Flame maple top on mahogany body, crazy hot HT humbucker pickups. A forgotten gem.)

The Electros are all single-cut and double-cut Pro Jets.
Wow. A great collection. I've got some serious catching up to do with you guys.

The colour of the "Setzer - Hot Rod" Candy Apple Red is awesome. Now that would be a great colour on a Ric 330..340..360..370...620....660....:)
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

The 125th was a great choice!! I've been admiring those...

I don't have any Gretsches yet, but my uncle has a 1964 6120 Chet Atkins, bought it when he was a kid for $100 so he could have a 'George Harrison' guitar. It's sitting in his basement now, abandoned and falling apart. :(
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

gellkeller wrote:The advantage of getting a Falcon with the Dynasonics is that you get the headstock with the vertical Gretsch logo. I believe it looks sooooo much better like that.
+1!!!!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

dpowell wrote:The 125th was a great choice!! I've been admiring those...

I don't have any Gretsches yet, but my uncle has a 1964 6120 Chet Atkins, bought it when he was a kid for $100 so he could have a 'George Harrison' guitar. It's sitting in his basement now, abandoned and falling apart. :(
Make him an offer. :D If he has to have something Geaorge Harrison-y, buy him a suit and a pair of boots from Beatware and trade them for the guitar. :wink: All he would need to do to take care of those would be a local, dependable dry cleaner, a suit bag, some mothballs, and a pair of shoe trees. :wink:
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

Cheers.

It's actually one I would have overlooked if it wasn't for the folk on here.

If it's rubbish I'm gonna come round and give you all a Chinese burn.

Oh no, don't mention the Chinese...... :)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

paologregorio wrote:

Make him an offer. :D If he has to have something Geaorge Harrison-y, buy him a suit and a pair of boots from Beatware and trade them for the guitar. :wink: All he would need to do to take care of those would be a local, dependable dry cleaner, a suit bag, some mothballs, and a pair of shoe trees. :wink:
...and all you'd have to do with the guitar is to pay nearly what it's worth to bring it back to playable condition (typical of these Brooklyn Gretsches is binding and pickguard rot. Then there's damage from dampness, like delamination and neck warp. Remember, these are made with laminated sides, back, and top like wooden drums... :?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Mateybob wrote:
The colour of the "Setzer - Hot Rod" Candy Apple Red is awesome. Now that would be a great colour on a Ric 330..340..360..370...620....660....:)
Ricks were built with virtually the exact same color..it was called Ruby, and was a Candy Apple Red with a silver base coat, just like Gretsches. I've got two of them, BTW, a 360WB/6 and a matching 360WB/12.

Fender's Candy Apple Red used a gold base coat, incidentally...

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”