cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Chris the drummer?

Post by cheyenne »

"Knowledge is Power"
tallpat1

Re: Chris the drummer?

Post by tallpat1 »

Didn't notice Chris as the drummer it was Bill bruford, But Chris as the keyboard player and tony Kaye playing a Fender P that's different. I do wonder if it was just for Video fun and they played their own instruments in the studio recording.

I love the Early Yes songs like then, Survival, Time & a Word Etc....

Tallpat
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

nice to see the tele bass in (pseudo) action,it has a real punchy sound on this track as well as "sweet dreams".
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

woodyng wrote:nice to see the tele bass in (pseudo) action,it has a real punchy sound on this track as well as "sweet dreams".
So the telecaster was really used on which tracks for sure? I have a friend who owns 2 of them and would be cool to borrow them to make a few bass covers!

Thanks

M
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

So the telecaster was really used on which tracks for sure? I have a friend who owns 2 of them and would be cool to borrow them to make a few bass covers!
The tele bass was used on Lucky Seven on FOOW, not sure which Yes tunes were recorded with it. I know "South Side" was done on the Jazz Bass, or maybe it was the tele... in concert in 2003 Chris plays his Maroudian CS on one version (Tsongas) and his JB on another (Montreux).
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

miguel-i don't know FOR SURE, but am taking an ear-educated guess. the bass on "sweet dreams" sounds like a fender to me,it seems to have a different sound than a lot of the bass tracks from TAAW, more of a punchy midrange sound. i had a 68 tele bass for a few years and thats the sound it had,altho mine did not have the added jazz bass bridge pickup like chris's.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Chris plays Sweet Dreams on a Jazz Bass in the 2003 Tsongas video and I do know from interviews that he prefers to use in concert what he used on the record.

Man, so many cool tunes even bfore The Yes Album was released. One of these days we can discuss Tony and Peter's work on "The Prophet", another of my favorite sleeprs.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

just_bassics wrote:Chris plays Sweet Dreams on a Jazz Bass in the 2003 Tsongas video and I do know from interviews that he prefers to use in concert what he used on the record.

Man, so many cool tunes even bfore The Yes Album was released. One of these days we can discuss Tony and Peter's work on "The Prophet", another of my favorite sleeprs.
Hi Jim, I noticed that tendency with some exceptions... like when Chris played OoaLH with the Elektra (right after Cinema, on the Ladder tour for ex.). But I suppose it's more a technical/practical reason. Or the dropping of the red 5-string by the 6-string Carvin on RoL. The Prophet is a great song also bass-wise, that quiet passage with the orchestra sounds very "beatlesque"to my ears... One of my favourites from that album too!
woodyng wrote:miguel-i don't know FOR SURE, but am taking an ear-educated guess. the bass on "sweet dreams" sounds like a fender to me,it seems to have a different sound than a lot of the bass tracks from TAAW, more of a punchy midrange sound. i had a 68 tele bass for a few years and thats the sound it had,altho mine did not have the added jazz bass bridge pickup like chris's.
Woody, thanks for the info. I never made that tone recognition exercise. It's a hard one, cause like Mike Tobias stated, most of the tone comes from his fingers and Chris will always sound like Chris no matter which bass he uses. My ear is not so developed to recognize which bass was used on those early recordings but will be very interesting to give it a try, and also to research for more information from more posters. Suggestion - a database with bass-by-track. Like on the Tormato credits. Wouldn't that be a treat? :)

M

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”