voice of music VM model 160

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

voice of music VM model 160

Post by kiramdear »

Howdy
I just acquired a 1953 VM 160 amplifier for a square dance caller. I don't know the technical bits but it appears to be two separate channels w separate tubes (1/4" mike, boosted RCA phono jack), 8 watts RMS, 10" jensen alnico speaker, tank-like steel chassis with burgundy enamel inside and out, and what a lot of tubes! I've been told it once sounded great with guitar. I'll get more info and pics in here soon. The amp sits on a shelf inside and you can pull it out and close up the back. Kinda reminds me of a baby-sized B-15 fliptop. Haven't heard it as it doesn't function (fires up, hums, but no music :( ) I plan to send it to a place to have it refurbished with original parts and specs (there's an organization for these things). VM is better known for their phonographs and cartridges.
I found these VM 160 pictures online but my 160 looks exactly the same, down to the gold piping on the cabinet. Oh, and Marty Balin owned it until recently. 8)
I'm betting the VM really stands for "Vintage Mojo". :)
Just wanted to show you guys and ask for comments, thanks
Attachments
DSC00208.jpg
DSC00214.jpg
DSC00211.jpg
All I wanna do is rock!
blue330
Professional Player

Re: voice of music VM model 160

Post by blue330 »

What a splendid item! You know it is going to really rock. The phono input could be extra exciting, since it would have the RIAA phono EQ curve built in, which boosts the low end a lot. Which should produce some notably bold overdrive!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Well, the guy is on vacation (the official keeper of the VM legacy) till next week when I ship it off to him to be refurbished with correct NOS parts. I'll let you know when it comes back. I can't wait to hear it. 8 - 1953 watts is probably like 15 current-era solid state watts. And a jensen 10" to boot. I'd also like to hear what it does with a bass.
All I wanna do is rock!
blue330
Professional Player

Post by blue330 »

If there's a true "little-known secret" of recording, it's that bass through tiny amps is the way to go for interesting tones that you can really hear in the mix! The VoM is sure to be a supreme bass amp, in the right context, anyway.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”