Yes "Songs From Tsongas"

The genius of Chris Squire
scottpro1969
Intermediate Member

Yes "Songs From Tsongas"

Post by scottpro1969 »

I just got through watching this dvd for the first time in a long while. I have never heard the band in better form. Jon's voice was a little raspy, but on target. EVERY song sounded awesome. The only person that I thought looked like he was either bored, or going-through-the-motions was Wakeman. Maybe that's just his demeanor. The trade-off of guitar/keyboard mimicing solos on Mind Drive were incredible.

I'm curious to hear others opinions. I thought Steve Howe, in particular was in perfect form. It's a pity that Jon has had his recent illness. I feel privileged to have seen them in concert back in 1984. I realize that a concert dvd is usually "touched up" but, what a treat.

I grew up no more than 10 minutes from the arena that it was filmed at....dammit, I'm in North Dakota in the Air Force, otherwise...I would have been there, no doubt. It's funny, Jon recognized that they were in "Bahston".....um nope, you were in Lowell, MA. hahaha.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Re: Yes "Songs From Tsongas"

Post by just_bassics »

I liked the Tsongas DVD and if you want more like that, try "Live at Montreux". It's from the same tour, but they dust off another classic or two and the version of South Side of the Sky (which is where the Howe / Wakeman solo is) is just as good or better. They also do Heart of the sunrise and The Fish, with Squire prominently featured. In fact, Fragile is performed almost in it's entirety. I know I've posted this here before, but why did it take so long to get a true version of HOTS on video? The version on Montreux is great!

Let's hope Jon is recovering well and they get back on track. I had some running around to do yesterday and played Magnification, that was 2001 (9-11, in fact) and we've had no new studio tracks since. I keep hoping for another effort as good as The Laddder, which I really enjoyed.

Tony, if you're reading this, patience, friend. I'm working on it :wink:
squirefan01
Intermediate Member

Post by squirefan01 »

Great DVD!
Happyface

Re: Howe at Yes "Songs From Tsongas"

Post by Happyface »

I was lucky enough to have been there. We were over to the side decently close to Steve Howe. A group of "portly" fans were sitting behind us. Looking at the rather thin Steve, one wag declared (in a thick Mass accent) "Steve Howe looks like he's ready to hop into a casket!"
Last edited by Happyface on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
scottpro1969
Intermediate Member

Post by scottpro1969 »

Were there any official audio cd's released from this tour? I'd love to get a hold some.
scottpro1969
Intermediate Member

Post by scottpro1969 »

Just answered my own question....Live @ Montreaux.
mikeyesfan

Post by mikeyesfan »

It's my favorite cause I'm in it....
My 5 minutes of fame.LOL

I made the sign with YES in the Heart.
That got their attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcq1oZT5rZg
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Mike, thats you at 1:45 right? Next time I watch at home I'll point you out to my wife. Never pass up an opportunity to tout the RRF and it's members!
mikeyesfan

Post by mikeyesfan »

johnallg wrote:Mike, thats you at 1:45 right? Next time I watch at home I'll point you out to my wife. Never pass up an opportunity to tout the RRF and it's members!
YES
Me and my son..
I'm also at the End of the 1st Disc holding the sign I made..
YES in a Heart...
I handed out 100 small signs for the Encore, they didn't show everyone holding them but you see a few of them at the end of the show....

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”