New Lead Singer for Yes

The genius of Chris Squire
mikeyesfan

Re: New Lead Singer for Yes

Post by mikeyesfan »

just_bassics wrote:Who is bashing Yes here? :? Opinions and discussion are welcome. As for YESFANS, I don't go there, so I don't know what anybody is saying, but here, they get nothing but respect.
See below..Yes is nothing with out Jon ???
mmm I hear a large boom
miar wrote:Yes is nothing without Jon...
One of the Greatest Bass Players EVER...
one of the Best Guitar players..
John Lennons drummer who happens to be the nicest Man on the planet

these 3 = nothing?????
sorry not in my book, these 3 are TOP SHELF musicians and songwriters
The shows will be awesome.
This IS the NEW YES, get with the times ..don't live in the past.
It's 2009 almost..wow where has the decade gone?

Jon will come back to the band when he's healthy enough and wants to be part of YES again.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Yes has always been a revolving door (or stage) of musos. Long may it remain so!
emac.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

I'm looking forward to YES touring in ANY form.

Jon Anderson will always be the VOICE of YES to me.

Hopefully, they will work on some studio pieces in the future.

THAT being said, I will still go to see YES in ANY FORM. CHRIS SQUIRE & STEVE HOWE are the core for me. Bruford or White, good. I'd love to see WAKEMAN again, but as has been mentioned, time is catching up with us all.

Look at what CS just did with the Christmas CD he recently released.

IF we don't give YES a chance in a new formation, we are taking away the future of any new material. I'm NOT ready to have that happen.

I love the classic lineup, but we have to support them when they need us as much as we need/want them.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Tony, stop the bashing!!! :D
mikeyesfan

Post by mikeyesfan »

Here's the TOUR Info

on yahoo just now

WASHINGTON - The classic rock band Yes, which was forced to cancel their 40th anniversary tour this year due to the illness of its lead singer, has decided to relaunch the tour with an "understudy" — a Yes tribute band singer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Benoit David, who sings in several Yes tribute bands in Montreal, will replace Jon Anderson on the "In the Present" tour, which kicks of Nov. 4 in Ontario, Canada, according to bassist Chris Squire.

"I think it's all going to work out fine," Squire told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "Of course, realistically, there's an element of risk, but there always is."

Yes, which consists of Squire, Anderson, guitarist Steve Howe and drummer Alan White, scrapped their anniversary tour in June after Anderson suffered acute respiratory failure and was ordered by doctors to rest six months.

Squire found David on the Internet after a friend sent him a YouTube clip of David's tribute band, Close To The Edge. Squire liked what he saw and called David to offer an audition.

"The first thing he said to me was, 'Well, I'm looking around to see where the cameras are in case I'm being punked,'" Squire said.

Yes has taken a page from another classic rock group, Journey, who selected Arnel Pineda, a sound-a-like of old lead singer Steve Perry, to be their singer after the group discovered him singing Journey songs on YouTube. Pineda sang on the group's successful comeback album this year and has also been touring with them.

It's not the first time Yes has had a singer besides Anderson. Trevor Horn sang on the 1980 Yes album "Drama" when Anderson briefly left the band. Squire hopes to work songs from that album into the set for the upcoming tour, plus a few songs he said were not Anderson's favorites to perform live but the rest of the band likes.

"You can't ever really replace Jon Anderson, because he's been such a force in the music business," Squire said. "We look upon his replacement as more of an understudy."

Squire said he is hopeful Anderson will be well enough to do shows next year.

Yes' hits include "I've Seen All Good People" and "Owner of a Lonely Heart
ariceffron is offline Add to ariceffron's Reputation Report Post sendpm.gif
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Good post, Mike! Thanks for the update.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

"It's not the first time Yes has had a singer besides Anderson. Trevor Horn sang on the 1980 Yes album "Drama" when Anderson briefly left the band. Squire hopes to work songs from that album into the set for the upcoming tour, plus a few songs he said were not Anderson's favorites to perform live but the rest of the band likes."

Okay, now they really have my attention. No offense to Jon, but I want songs from DRAMA performed, and what are these "other" songs that Jon does not like to perform? We'll have to wait and see...
miar

Post by miar »

just_bassics wrote:
miar wrote:Yes is nothing without Jon...
Hi Mia and welcome!

I submit that you give Drama a good listen (if you haven't already). But I do agree that Jon is much of YES, both behind the mic and behind the scenes. He is certainly their voice, although Chris' voice has as much to do with the YES sound as Jon's, in my opinion. Trevor Rabin once said that "Put any band behind Jon Anderson and it will sound like Yes" but I couldn't disagree more. Yes to me is Jon, Steve and Chris. Take away any of those three and you take away from the core sound.

Jon's retirement from Yes will sadden me, but it is only a matter of time for any of them, as health issues and good old Father Time leave their mark. They cannot go on forever, which is why my main wish is for another studio record. But times being what they are, it is now more profitable to tour.

Norway is a beautiful country, I was there for a time in 1984. Please visit our forum often. :D
Hi!
Thanks for the welcome :)

I love Drama. But thats only because i`m addicted to Trevor Horn.
Trevor Rabin is wrong. I agree with you. Yes for me has Jon, Steve and Chris in it :)

I will visit the forum as often as I possible can :)
Mia
-------------
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

thanks for the post michael! sounds like chris et al are making lemonaid out of life's lemons. no jon,but the chance to hear some rare tracks? sad,but cool! was the tour schedule published yet?
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

just_bassics wrote:Tony, stop the bashing!!! :D

LOL....

Wise a@@!

Thanks Mike for posting, you just made my day!

:D
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

http://www.ctte.net/en/

Audio and video under Gallery.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

If people on YES fan site are bagging on Yes' new understudy, then it's because they're all in YES tribute bands and suck. They're jealous because HE got the gig and they didn't. I'm pretty sure it's not the first time Chris has scoped out a tribute band, so if he thinks he's good, it's because he is. I went to his band's site and was blown away by how good they are. Unlike the trib bands I've seen, they capture the spirit of YES live with all the different little licks that make YesSongs and other live Yes albums so good. I will definitely go see them when they come to SoCal.
windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

Does it really happen?

Maybe????
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
wayang

Post by wayang »

Hey now...I wouldn't say 'Yes is nothing without JA'...they'd definitely be something, but they wouldn't be Yes, any more than you could call that mess 'Genesis' after Gabriel left....

Ah, it's good to be back. So, Yes is going out on the road with a new unknown singer, eh? I wonder if he works for Home Depot, too? I swear, between their fronting for touring bands and training for the olympics, it's no wonder I can never find one of those guys in the little orange aprons when I need them...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
tallpat1

Post by tallpat1 »

I thought Drama was an underrated Yes Album, some great songs with trevor Horn ie.. Tempus fugit and machine messiah some of the best Yes music ever. So who's to say this guy won't do well. Jon is sick and can't tour neither can Wakeman anymore, I've seen Yes with other keyboardist and the shows were awesome.

I can't wait until they publish the tour dates and get my tix

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”