Roger Mcguinn wiring

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Roger Mcguinn wiring

Post by Folkie »

Jim K,

The industry standard Boss Chorus pedal is my favorite. It has a very lush, full sound. Sometimes a little added chorus (along with a good compressor) can really accentuate the chime of a 12-string's octave strings. You might check out R.E.M.'s "Green Grow the Rushes" on the CD Fables of the Reconstruction. Peter Buck's 360/12 is double-tracked and then run through a chorus pedal.

Robert
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I was rather thinking of the Boss Chorus CH-1. That seems to be quite a popular pedal.

P.S. Love Peter Buck's sound on that track. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they weren't singing the Scottish folk song. :oops: Still it's a nice track anyway.

JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Jim K,

I should have said that Peter's 12-string was run through a chorus pedal (according to his tech Dewitt Burton, probably a Rockman Chorus and Sustainer) and then double-tracked. This, of course, is pure speculation, since there's no one on the forum who was in the recording studio when "Fables" was tracked. But Dewitt Burton has confirmed that Peter used the Rockman on several of the songs on "Reckoning."

As for the Boss Chorus CH-1, I've never used one. How is it different from the current Boss chorus pedal? For my money, the onboard stereo chorus effect on the solid state Fender Princeton Chorus amp is the nicest, although I'm a bit biased, having owned the amp for fourteen years!

Robert
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Folkie wrote:
As for the Boss Chorus CH-1, I've never used one. How is it different from the current Boss chorus pedal? For my money, the onboard stereo chorus effect on the solid state Fender Princeton Chorus amp is the nicest, although I'm a bit biased, having owned the amp for fourteen years!

Robert
I'm going to move this over to the Forum 51 Quest for tone subforum, I think.
JimK
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

To continue: There are two Boss Chorus pedals out on the market. I'm not sure what the differences are between them. One is the CH-1 and the other is the Chorus Ensemble CE-5. Both are stereo pedals. Both could apparently be used as splitter boxes. I've no idea why one would choose either over the other.
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Jim K,

All Boss chorus effects are not equal. The onboard chorus on my Boss GT-3 multi-effects unit pales in comparison to the CH1.

To get back to the subject of this forum, you can hear a Rick 12 through a chorus pedal on several of the early Byrds recordings, including the stereo mix of "She Don't Care about Time" and the single version of "Why."

Robert

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”