Where Are john lennons Rickenbackers??

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

beatlefreak

Re: Where Are john lennons Rickenbackers??

Post by beatlefreak »

jingle_jangle wrote:...but I do get a strong impression everytime I read DiMarino's account of the relationship, that John allowed him to make a lot of the decisions, and just went along, which would explain the hodgepodge of inappropriate mods.
Have to agree with you here. I tend to believe that John was never all that hung up on making sure his guitar looked good. There are far too many pictures of him with this guitar where it was missing at least one knob. There's even a picture of the guitar where the selector switch can't be seen, obviously fallen down inside the control cavity. As long as it played O.K. for him, he was happy.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I said WE Rickensnobs, Paul! :lol: Nice avatar, btw.
325_nowjh.jpg
I know of at least two "as-it-is-today" replicas.

Can we agree on one thing? JOHN'S GUITARS SHOULD NOT BE IN JAPAN. I'd like to be able to see them in this lifetime.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

dpowell wrote:JOHN'S GUITARS SHOULD NOT BE IN JAPAN. I'd like to be able to see them in this lifetime.
So what's stopping you from going to Japan? :wink:
I know what you mean - I'm sure we'd all love to see those guitars.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

dpowell wrote:
325_nowjh.jpg
I know of at least two "as-it-is-today" replicas.
I'd like to have a 325c58 (w/alder body) done like the guitar is today. Mostly just to upset all of you!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Troublemaker!
:P
sixtwentytwelve

Post by sixtwentytwelve »

I was in Tokyo in August and saw both 325s on display. The John Lennon Museum (or, perhaps more accurately, the John and Yoko museum -- there is a video presentation at the entrance to the museum that leaves the visitor with the impression that the Beatles were a curious footnote to an otherwise stellar career) is about one half-hour by train from central Tokyo, curiously located next to a sports stadium in a somewhat bleak/industrial area. It's probably fair to say that, as a general matter (and even apart from the question of who did the work), the do's and don'ts of guitar restoration had not been as fully explored/debated by the late 1970s as they have been today. After all, at that point in time Lennon's first 325 was only 20 years old, and Buddy Holly's 1958 Fender Stratocaster and Eddie Cochran's Gretsch 6120 were still sitting in hallway closets.

What struck me was that it's a miracle that John Lennon's early Rics have survived at all, particularly when you consider the wear and tear that they endured on the road and the numerous opportunities that must have been presented to steal them. I remember reading somewhere years ago that Lennon had a fairly strong interest in Beatles history and was intrigued by historical snippets and bootlegs that were dug up by fans, so once the touring days ended he probably kept a very close hold on the 325s. Both guitars are in amazing condition. In a parallel universe, if originality were all that mattered, and given that the black paint has already been removed, the older 325 would arguably benefit from some expert restoration work to bring it closer to its appearance at the time Lennon purchased it. My impression was that the "honey blonde" finish that was applied 30 years ago is not aging well, and the guitar probably looks much darker/dingier today than it did a half century ago. However, because the 1970s restoration is the one that Lennon ordered, the odds that anyone will ever attempt that are probably somewhere between highly unlikely and zero.
Wurlitzer

Post by Wurlitzer »

I have been in the Museum twice (toot toot).
fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

jingle_jangle wrote:It really should have been left coach-painted in black, chipped and nasty--no patina beats real historic knocking-about--but once done, it should be done well, for all time, and to a realistic "museum display" standard, with colors, textures and glosses as it was the day it first rested in John's eager hands.
I've done one version for someone like this (no stain or poly though, just the rest of the cosmetics and non relic'd) for someone in Chicago on a vaca a few years back but I don't have any pics of it. I've tried to get some from him on a couple ocasions but it might have to wait until I go in next. It was a somewhat quick redo, but all the screws were swapped out ala the modern day, oversized white guard w moved screwholes, etc etc.

I've done numerous "Sullivan"s, including my rebuilt v59 relic I no longer have and I'm in the process of doing a coupe others (inlcluding redoing a C for myself).

IMO, we're all allowed to want them to do whatever we like to the original guitar. Doesn't mean anyone has to listen though.
(another plus for replicas....)

-Jeff
FabGear Custom Guitars, Relics and Replicas
Public Albums: www.photobucket.com username: fabgear, password: fabguest
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Post by beefandbones »

Wow - this is a fascinating topic! I work at a history museum, and I would think that most conservators would be against restoring or refurbishing the guitar. It was Lennon's guitar, and he made mods to it that many, many people copy - Bigsby, bowtie, special knobs and so forth. That guitar is known for and, in a sense, defined by modifications he made to it over time. It tells the story of his abbreviated life. Had he lived he may have chosen to submit it to a proper renovation, but he didn't. He wanted that guitar to look that way, and he was happy with it - and recorded with it - at the end of his life. For those reasons, it deserves preservation as an artifact, without regard to what baby boomers or anyone else would like to see. Restoring it to early 60s specs, would be, in my opinion, destroying his intentions, and altering the history of the guitar. One wouldn't, for example, clean the jacket Lincoln was wearing at Ford's Theater to make the jacket appear as it did when he first put it on.
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

It is the few glorious years that this guitar was famous that endeared me to the Rickenbacker name! Ok, it looks atrocious now, but i have photos, memories and a 350 Liverpool to take me back to those days. Where is that gold PG?
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Post by beefandbones »

Yes, if I were going to make a case for some kind of restoration work, I'd see if that gold PG could be located and returned to the guitar. But that's about it. I agree, it does look awful presently.
fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

DeMarnio has the original guard, should still have it.

-Jeff
FabGear Custom Guitars, Relics and Replicas
Public Albums: www.photobucket.com username: fabgear, password: fabguest
Darkhollow

Post by Darkhollow »

beatlefreak wrote:John's 1958 325 is in the Lennon museum in Japan.
I am confused as to why the Lennon museum is in Japan in the first place. Shouldn't that guitar be in London or NY?
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Darkhollow wrote:
beatlefreak wrote:John's 1958 325 is in the Lennon museum in Japan.
I am confused as to why the Lennon museum is in Japan in the first place. Shouldn't that guitar be in London or NY?
Starts with Y, ends with 'Oh No...'
kieran campbell

Post by kieran campbell »

Personal Prefrences? wich one is your favorite? post some of your thoughs on his rickenbackers
Sign the petition- http://johnlennonday.com/

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”