Waited 40 years, now another 48 hours

Register, Price List, Gallery, RIC Outlet One Offs

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

majortom58

Waited 40 years, now another 48 hours

Post by majortom58 »

Dear friends of Rick, The package came today from Mandolin Brothers. A 360-12 Fireglow delivered by the UPS lady. As I looked at the box, I noted the warning--if the package has been cold, let warm to room temperature for 48 hours. It's cold here today, and the cardboard was pretty frigid.

So I must endure about 46 more hours to hook this baby up to the Fender Blues Deluxe 40 amp, and endure the pain of the Mitchell 12 string I've got. Well, the Tele sounds good with the Fender Blues tube amp, at least. Actually a heck of a lot easier to use than all those stupid effects boxes. I didn't get the tube amp until after about 2 years, I could really hear the difference, and more importantly, sometimes make the guitar utilize the differences.

I am intent on coming to the Rick Bash in Vorhees on Saturday, but family obligations may get in the way. I will certainly make future ones. This is a really great thing you do these kind of things.

I play a little bit of bass, fair guitar, and pretty decent banjo. I have a top of the line Fender 5 string [it was a deal, and this one sounded good], a beautiful American standard Tele [great tone], a cheap lap steel, a B&D Special Senorita Tenor Banjo [~1933] covered in green "ivoroid", and a Deering Boston Tenor strung to Irish tuning [the B&D is just too fragile for that abuse].

And a Fender Jaguar Bass in Hot Rod Red. It sounds good, and I just can't justify "The One" at the moment. I think "The "One" glows like fire.

Well, any wisdom for a new Rick owner/player is welcome.
Scastles

Re: Waited 40 years, now another 48 hours

Post by Scastles »

Welcome, Tom, and congrats on your Rick purchase! I can't add any wisdom other than you will really enjoy it. And make sure you don't open it up for 48 hours.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

What you're concerned with here, is the temperature of the instrument itself. Since both finish and wood expand and contract with temperature changes (though at different rates), a quick transition from freezing to room temperature risks cracking the clearcoat CV.

Removing the case the instrument is in from the box and packing material will help expedite the transition from cold to warm, while doing so at a sufficiently slow enough rate. 24 hours will be plenty of time, unless the guitar had stabilized at well below the freezing point.
majortom58

Post by majortom58 »

Thanks, Chris. I'm about 75 miles from Mandolin Brothers, and they shipped it yesterday afternoon. So, we are talking about the change in temperature of the properly stored box at Mando to pickup to en route in truck to local truck. It got to be about 35 degrees last night, and was about 38 this morning when delivered. I do not believe UPS heeded the instructions to keep it in a heated area, but I think it's been enough time to take out of cardboard. I have it on wooden horses in a comfortably warm room two fans gently moving the air around. I know, this is a little crazy, but I need to get in that case--and I dare not. What's that '50s horror movie with the line: "you want to turn your head, but you can't."? Rick obsession has few bounds. :roll:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Welcome, Tom! :D

If you can make MARF, you will be overwhelmed by the experience. 8)

Bring the family.
majortom58

Re: Waited 40 years, now another 48 hours; Shock and awe

Post by majortom58 »

Well, looks like I can't get to MARF, which kills me because I am so close. I wasn't even aware. But, family matters. Though this seems like a family, or at least a clan.

The saga of the opening of the Ark--As I indicated, I was fearful of opening the case, because of the dire warnings. I proceeding to get slightly warm air circulating around it. Then I got out my multimate meter and used the the thermometer probes, checked inside and outside the case, cracking it open a tad. I had these visions of opening it too early, like some ancient tomb, and seeing vivid paintings begin to fade with the exposure to air. When I was convinced the case was in the 60's, I opened it.

Finish is spectacular, as I expected. But I was surprised how thin and light it was. Tuners tight and sure. I was again in awe of the tuner set up. The action was so low. I could smell the paint--so much different that the smell of the other new guitars. Hooked into the amp. I figured this was going to much more difficult than my Tele, and more like the beast of a 12 string acoustic I have. But no. The guitar fits in my hands perfectly--it was like they said, "let's make this one for Tom." Of course, not true. It was immediately playable, not quite as easy as the Tele, but more so than many electric 6 stings I've tried. The semi-hollow adds that nice vibration you can immediately see and hear. The instruction manual is just that, not the ****** things you get even with an American Fender.

I think I'm going to try "Walk Right In" for first song. I've been practicing on acoustic 6 string.

I was stunned by this--beauty, relative simplicity, and intuitive.

I'm a big fan of Mandolin Brothers. They gave me a good deal, and they did everything they could to meet my needs. It's a great place to visit, too. Because I had gone there before, I was comfortable ordering by phone. It's a great day trip from Manhattan. [I know, it's only in Staten Island, but you try and get out of that store in an hour if you've never been there before. They treat you well, too. If you want something in particular, best to call ahead, they'll have a couple instruments ready for you to look at. Class act.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Post pics when you get a chance, Please.
majortom58

Mug Shots of Rick

Post by majortom58 »

beatlefreak wrote:Post pics when you get a chance, Please.
These photos are of the Rick while it was detained, prior to paying the appropriate ransom for its safe release.
My Rick held captive
My Rick held captive

Return to “Rickenbacker Register”