1960 Rick 360

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

NRZ4244

Re: 1960 Rick 360

Post by NRZ4244 »

jingle_jangle wrote:
JakeK wrote:Welcome, Robert. I take it you and Nick are friends?

I know someone who can get your Capri up and running again, Nick. Look no further than our own Paul W. (aka Jingle_Jangle). He's actually lisenced to build Ric acoustic guitars and has restored tons of Rics that needed repairs, refins or anything in those categories. He's a nice and honest fellow and will give your Capri the work it needs. :) (Paul, I just spoke for you, man!)
Thanks, Jake. Your check is in the mail... :wink:

This is one on which the finish should remain untouched and untouched-up, too. Just a bit of cleaning if you're in the mood. Original patina is irreplaceable. The only work that should be done is whatever it takes to bring playability back to "as original" state.

These early Capris have a lovely sound and the neck is to die for, if thin is your thing!
as far as putting it back to original, would that include fixing the frets? My dad has these filed down and he said they have never been the same. I am also getting some buzzing from the fret job, so i don't even play it. Anyways, how would this be solved in order to retain its collectibility? Thanks.

Nick
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

NRZ4244 wrote:as far as putting it back to original, would that include fixing the frets? My dad has these filed down and he said they have never been the same. I am also getting some buzzing from the fret job, so i don't even play it. Anyways, how would this be solved in order to retain its collectibility? Thanks.

Nick
As silly as this might sound, the best thing to do to retain maximum collectibility is to leave the frets as they are, since they are the originals. A refret would also include a re-bind of the neck, I believe.
'70RS

Post by '70RS »

sloop_john_b wrote:
NRZ4244 wrote:as far as putting it back to original, would that include fixing the frets? My dad has these filed down and he said they have never been the same. I am also getting some buzzing from the fret job, so i don't even play it. Anyways, how would this be solved in order to retain its collectibility? Thanks.

Nick
As silly as this might sound, the best thing to do to retain maximum collectibility is to leave the frets as they are, since they are the originals. A refret would also include a re-bind of the neck, I believe.

From a collectibility standpoint, that may be true....but I would hate to see this guitar just sit in a case because it was unplayable. I may be in the minority here, but I would be gigging and recording that guitar as much as possible. At the original Gear Page thread I said that the '59-'60 360 is my Holy Grail guitar...and that's because of it's sound and feel....no way I could handle one being in my house and not using it.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Wow!Awesome Capri!!! What a cool story. Dig the sounds of Bocky and the Visions!

Good Good Lovin

I Go Crazy!

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

'70RS wrote: From a collectibility standpoint, that may be true....but I would hate to see this guitar just sit in a case because it was unplayable. I may be in the minority here, but I would be gigging and recording that guitar as much as possible. At the original Gear Page thread I said that the '59-'60 360 is my Holy Grail guitar...and that's because of it's sound and feel....no way I could handle one being in my house and not using it.
I would also be gigging such a guitar, and if it were mine, I'd refret it. But from a collectibility standpoint, you gotta leave it as is.
NRZ4244

Post by NRZ4244 »

I really don't plan on selling this guitar, so collectibility is a definite factor, but maintaining it and playing it for my kids is also a factor. I am obviously not refinishing it or any of that. Honestly, a good tech might be able to straighten out the buzz without replacing the frets or any of that, just by adjusting the truss rod and fixing the problem fret.

Problem is...I really don't know any good frets. I know jingle_jangle has been suggested, just I believe he is somewhere on the West Coast, and being in Ohio I don't know if I would trust UPS/USPS/FedEX with this instrument, so I was hoping there would be some suggestions about somewhere within a reasonable driving distance.

Btw...I really enjoyed the youtube vids of my dad's music; I didn't know they were on there.

Thanks guys.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nicholas, PM sent.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

NRZ4244 wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:
JakeK wrote:Welcome, Robert. I take it you and Nick are friends?

I know someone who can get your Capri up and running again, Nick. Look no further than our own Paul W. (aka Jingle_Jangle). He's actually lisenced to build Ric acoustic guitars and has restored tons of Rics that needed repairs, refins or anything in those categories. He's a nice and honest fellow and will give your Capri the work it needs. :) (Paul, I just spoke for you, man!)
Thanks, Jake. Your check is in the mail... :wink:

This is one on which the finish should remain untouched and untouched-up, too. Just a bit of cleaning if you're in the mood. Original patina is irreplaceable. The only work that should be done is whatever it takes to bring playability back to "as original" state.

These early Capris have a lovely sound and the neck is to die for, if thin is your thing!
as far as putting it back to original, would that include fixing the frets? My dad has these filed down and he said they have never been the same. I am also getting some buzzing from the fret job, so i don't even play it. Anyways, how would this be solved in order to retain its collectibility? Thanks.

Nick
I've refretted a few of these. It can be done so as to be virtually undetectable, and IMO this is preferable to a case queen that buzzes.

Strictly speaking, it was compromised as far as originality is concerned, when whoever filed the frets messed with the playability.

Collectibility with these relies on condition to a great extent, and an unplayable guitar is seriously compromised from a value standpoint, unless it's got a celebrity history, or it's up there in the value range that is privy to '54 Strats or '58-'60 LPs.

(Incidentally--there were about 1700 Les Paul "Standards" made between 1958 and '60. That's not seriously rare...but the value of these went way out of whack in the last 25 years...)
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

I think that thing is worth about 5 or 10 bucks, but hey, I've give you 50 for it. Kidding. Neat story and neat PICs. Enjoy the guitar.

JKC
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Mitch,
Thanks for finding those tunes from Bosky and the Visions and posting them. Way too cool. They rock!

Nick and Robert,
Welcome to the forum and hope you hang around.

Nick,
Great story and great guitar. Thats definitely something to hold on to.

Robert,
Those Rics were sweet! And I LOVE that 50 watt Hiwatt Half Stack!
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

NRZ4244 wrote:Hey guys, I'm new here and have been trying to figure out a way not to step on any toes too soon by starting a topic, but couldn't really find any way to introduce myself. ...
Needless to say, I don't think that you've stepped on anybody's toes. :D
Welcome to the forum.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
octagon

Post by octagon »

NRZ4244 wrote:I really don't plan on selling this guitar, so collectibility is a definite factor, but maintaining it and playing it for my kids is also a factor. I am obviously not refinishing it or any of that. Honestly, a good tech might be able to straighten out the buzz without replacing the frets or any of that, just by adjusting the truss rod and fixing the problem fret.

Problem is...I really don't know any good frets. I know jingle_jangle has been suggested, just I believe he is somewhere on the West Coast, and being in Ohio I don't know if I would trust UPS/USPS/FedEX with this instrument, so I was hoping there would be some suggestions about somewhere within a reasonable driving distance.

Btw...I really enjoyed the youtube vids of my dad's music; I didn't know they were on there.

Thanks guys.
Hey,check out this webpage,you can listen to an inteview with Buddy Maven,the drummer from your dad's band!
'70RS

Post by '70RS »

IHeartRics wrote:

Robert,
Those Rics were sweet! And I LOVE that 50 watt Hiwatt Half Stack!
Thanks...that was a great amp. I picked up the 50 watt head, an even earlier 100 watt head, the cab with original Fanes and an Anderson era Townshend Schecter all on one shopping trip. Those were good times to find vintage gear.

I found a few old recording studio shots of more of my Rickenbackers & Voxes...I'll start another thread later.

-r
Ric-360-12FG

Post by Ric-360-12FG »

I really can't stop looking at the pictures of this beautiful guitar. How does it sound compared to a modern 360/6? Who can tell me?

BTW, I remember that more than a year ago a 360 capri was sold for something like 18.000 $ on ebay. As your guitar seems to be in good condition I would say that its value is at least 10.000 $. Refret it and play it!
scotty

Post by scotty »

Great story! and welcome to the madness that is the RRF.Remember to keep us posted on your guitar on whatever you decide to do.Lovely instrument.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”