Should I take a well-needed break?

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Should I take a well-needed break?

Post by johnallg »

Jake, deep breaths. First off, take up Paul and send him pictures to get an evaluation of how repairable it really is. Next, have your Dad call his homeowners insurance agent and start a claim. This is not at all as bad as you make it out to be. Stick with us, man!
pinball63

Post by pinball63 »

Hey Jake

I don't often comment on here, but I read this forum always! There are a lot of talented people here from what I have read and viewed, so I don't think there is better place to hopefully resolve your problem than with these folks! Hope things work out!
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

johnallg wrote:Jake, deep breaths. ... Next, have your Dad call his homeowners insurance agent and start a claim...
This is good advise. About 40 years ago I loaned my Epiphone guitar to a friend who snapped off the neck. I never saw the guitar again. His father being a stand up guy contacted his insurance company and I was paid a fair price for it. I know that was a long time ago and policies are all different and rules and laws mays have changed since then but it is worth a try.
"The best things in life aren't things."
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Hey Jake,
This is a really bad news!
However - as much as we all love our ricks, there are things in life which are far more important, such as our loved ones, our health, etc...

I know the feeling of losing something dear, let it be an item you got attached to or a best friend who passes away, normally you feel as if there is a hole in your heart and that it will never be closed.
Trust me - all things must pass.

As for the break - it is really up to you, I don't really understand what will you earn from such an action, I believe this is the best place for a Rickenbacker lover.
I know I will be sad to see you go and I am sure others will be sad too.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

I say your '97 goes straight to your fave Rickenbacker luthier to assess damage, possible repair options, and accompanying costs. Look Jake, a broken guitar is a broken guitar. A broken spirit creates far more deleterious effects in the long run. Keep the faith, brah, just keep the faith. It's all you can do. I know it's easier said than done but try to get over it, plan a course of action, and then move on. You'll be all the better for it. Remember, you are among friends here so I'm glad you shared the albeit unfortunate experience/situation with us. You will overcome. I commiserate with you.....Goofyfoot.

Play on, pick often, jam with any Rickenbacker, and prosper.
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

Jake, Thanks for the PM. Reply sent.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Jake,

to borrow an honored Navy slogan, "Don't Give Up the Ship"!

The best thing you can do is take a deep breath, take some pictures, and attach them to an email to a forum luthier; it'll make you feel better in two ways; first, you'll have taken action to remedy the situation, and second, you'll be able to get a quote, which will remove the uncertainty as to what it's going to cost you.

The luthiers on this forum are miracle workers when it comes to repairs. It's your first Rickenbacker, one you've wanted for awhile, and accident is fresh in your mind, so you're bound to feel quite dismal about the whole thing, but unless it's been reduced to a literal pile of splinters, it's fixable, and probably good as new fixable. Will you be able to see the reapir if you give the guitar a microscopic look, yes, but for the most part, it'll look and play as good as new, and you'll eventually forget all about the accident, or if you do remember it, it'll be with a shrug, and a happy thought about the luthier who made your guitar whole again. :)
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Jake,

I used to work at a very nice guitar shop in Los Angeles a few years back. One day, a good customer of mine,brought in her guitar in a sack with a face full of tears. She was doing some gig and some jerk smashed her guitar to bits. I looked in the sack, and it was a 300 dollar or less Peavey strat copy, and really destroyed.

Big deal, right? Buy another one.

Her father had bought her that guitar right before he died of cancer. It was all she really had left of him.

So, I called up a luthier that we used for special situations that required skills beyond the basics, and he came down and looked at it. The look on his face told the tale, but it could be done with a lot of work, and not cheaply. I explained what had happened, that she was not financially well, and that I would cover the cost if it wasn't through the roof. He took the guitar.

2 weeks later, he brings the guitar in, perfectly restored and setup, and tells me there is no charge. Truly a class act, and a gifted luthier.

I phoned her that day, she came in, and couldn't believe her eyes. She also couldn't believe that there was no charge. I told her to go do something nice for somebody, and to continue to shop here. I think we all felt 10 feet tall that day.

My point to this Jake, is don't give up hope. Unless your 1997 was run over by a steamroller, I highly doubt it is in worse shape than this girls Peavey was. Kepp the faith, listen to your fellow forumites here, and let's see what we can do. Think positive :D
dog
Intermediate Member

Post by dog »

Jake, I agree with all who have told you that your guitar may be repairable. But may I add something else?

Posessions are fleeting and hard to hold on to. This may be one of your first, but certainly not your last disappointment. It's just life. You can take charge of your own life by deciding if this disappointment will destroy you, or make you stronger. It may not seem like it right now, but life will probably deal you more serious blows as time goes on. I hate to say it, but it's just a guitar.

Brother, that beloved guitar did not define who you are. How you deal with the loss will define who you are, and make you stronger as you work through it. I grieve for your loss, but know that life probably has even greater disappointments in store for you. (and for all of us) Fix it....replace it....stay strong....go on. :wink:
Never use money as a means to measure wealth
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Sorry to hear this Jake.

I had a mishap with my 360 a few weeks ago, it got knocked off it's stand and i was about 10 feet away ,i couldn't get to it quick enough.it fell flat on it's face!
I must have turned 5 different shades of white!

Keep us posted mate.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I must get my 660/12 sold...quickly! If that happens, I might be able to get a deal on a 1998 (1997SPC) in fireglo, so I'm probably getting better (an extra pickup and a better replica of what Pete Townshend played) than what I had.

I'm glad to say that I'm not taking a break.

Here's the story:
I put the 1997 onto the dining room table on a stand to be played later. After I accidentally bumped the table, it fell off the stand and onto my hardwood floor...into a mess of trouble. The body spilt (nastily into two), and the neck snapped right off. Enough said :cry:

I'll never forgive myself for having clumsy feet.
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

On the bright side, you could put your smashed guitar up on ebay as a "more accurate" Townshend reissue. Sorry for your loss
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Well, Jake, as bad as I know you feel about it, it actually sounds like a pretty clean job of it (only three pieces of wood, more or less?) I was picturing a boxful of shards and splinters. Don't call it a wash until you get some expert advice. It could be much easier than you imagine to repair it. :D
All I wanna do is rock!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Jake, I think you may be in luck. That sounds very repairable. Yes, I know; I haven't seen pictures. Best wishes.

JimK
britinvasion

Post by britinvasion »

Jake, glad your looking forward again. Stuff happens , and we grieve then move on. When I was 16 years old I backed the family car over my then-new Stratocaster. Long story for another time, but I remember being beyond devastated. Well , 40 years later it's a funny story.Of course , had I not run it over & kept it , it would now be "vintage" :oops: Anyway, I got it re-necked , and sold it and life went on.
Plus , it was my first look at a truss rod! You too will recover, and move on to bigger and better things. Besides , look at all the great advice from a lot of great people that wrote in. Now, thats something to take with you! Good luck to you! :)

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”