Jake's gigs

Let Us Know About Your Performances Past, Present and Future
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Jake's gigs

Post by JakeK »

I haven't had many gigs in my life, but the few I've had, I've enjoyed.

My first gig was June 29, 2007, when I first recieved my 660/12TP.
I was (and still am) an assistant with a children's music and theatre troup. I wanted more than ever to emphasize the music part, and I finally did on that day. My parents brought my new Ric to the auditorium, and I played Tom Petty's "Refugee" and "American Girl" to an energetic crowd. The girls even chased me out the auditorium when it was all over!

My second gig was August 1, 2007.
I was still emphasizing the music part for this troup, and playing "Learning to Fly" for the kids. They were more energetic than the last crowd and everyone chased me out!

My third gig was October 24, 2007.
I liked this girl (and boy, let me tell you, she is a girl I liked who I NEVER want to revisit), and she was a cheerleader. I thought I could impress her by performing for all the cheerleaders. News got around and all the cheerleaders were ready. The school bully was there, too, and was an idiot while I performed. (if I was as big of a Pete Townshend fan as I am now, I would have knocked him in the face with "me bloody guitar") I went up (with my 660/12) and performed "Saving Grace" by Tom Petty to all the cheerleaders. Still the cheerleaders enjoyed it and they all knew I had chops!

My fourth gig was June 13, 2008.
I had improved a good deal at home, but had been away from the stage for 8 months, so I was a little nervous. I was performing for the troup again. I thought I could have some backup and called a friend (two or three days earlier) who worked at C&M Music shop named Wesley to give me a hand. Wesley said he would, and we had even rehearsed. The day of June 13, he didn't show up or answer his phone. I went on by myself, and this crowd was the worst. If you ever talk with me in person, I can tell you about it, but I'm withholding what happened because it's too graphic for this forum. It was bad and when I asked if I could perform some Kinks songs for the kids a month later ("You Really Got Me" and "Till the End of the Day"), I was told by the director of the troup that I was badly injured at the last show, so I was banned from performing for the troup.

My fifth gig was on November 1, 2008.
After performing in the school play of "Our Town" with our Talented Theatre troup, a friend of ours had a cast party. My best friend Jacob was playing a (random) guitar, and asked our friend DJ to perform some of his original music. He did, and my mom called me to tell me I was leaving, so I told everyone I was leaving and if I could play a few songs. DJ handed me the guitar, and I played "The Last Time" by The Rolling Stones. Everyone was clapping, and listening to the music. I kept The Stones' original tempo, but added The Who's key modulation (from E major to F#) when they recorded the song in 1967 (this version is readily available on "Thirty Years of Maximum R&B" boxset). After a wild applause, I rocked out to "Under My Thumb" by The Stones and did the faster tempo like The Who did (their version is on "Odds and Sods"). Another wild applause, and the call for an encore, I didn't know what to play, so I played "A Legal Matter" by The Who.

My sixth and most recent gig (sadly) was on December 24, 2008.
After receiving my new (now broken) 1997, my uncle demanded to hear me play at his Christmas party. After dinner, my family waited as I hid around a corner and said, "And now, time for "Jake's Rock and Roll Christmas Show!" and walked out playing "Substitute" by The Who (more or less similar to the "Live at Leeds" version). When finished, I played "Free Fallin" by Tom Petty, followed by "The Last Time" by The Rolling Stones and closing with "Pinball Wizard" by The Who. During the last verse of "Pinball", my "B" string snapped, and I was ******, and stopped completely but I was still applauded by my family. My Uncle even said, "I didn't think you were THAT good!"

So there you have it, the timeline of Jake's gigs. Hopefully, the children's Music and Theatre troup will let me perform again, and all will be well.

Watch this space for more gigs!

Return to “My Gig Forum”