YOU TUBE

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
supersaints

YOU TUBE

Post by supersaints »

Just been on "YOU TUBE". Lots of fascinating clips of The Searchers on there,including the interview this week on Tv with Frank and John Walker. However, what really caught my eye was the clip of them performing SANDMAN. It was really good and long and I was really impressed with Johns lead guitar playing. I have never seen them do this number. What is the background to the song and why and when did they drop the number from their act?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: YOU TUBE

Post by royclough »

Sandman was on the eponymous debut album by America released in 72, I believe it was also the B side to Horse With No Name.

The Searchers started to perfom this track when they were going through their period where they had decided to drop the suits image and appeared in more casual attire.

I recall when I first heard them do this track I had no idea who it was by until John McNally told me.

They did some great stuff then, things like Bang Bang (which leaned more to Vanilla Fudge version than Cher's) Fooled Around And Fell In Love (Elvin Bishop) Lay Down Your Weary Tune (Dylan , Byrds), Love The One You're With (Buffalo Springfield), You've Got A Friend (Carol King).

Problem was they were perfoming on the chicken in a basket circuit and these numbers did not go down well with audiences who just wanted to hear their hits.

The numbers did not remain in the act for long.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”