'72 twin

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rickendelic

'72 twin

Post by rickendelic »

hi,

I have 2 issues:

1) if I change out v6 (i think it's a 12at7) I get no sound from it at all. if i leave the old one in there it's fine.

2) from when i turn the amp on until it makes a sound takes a solid 3 - 4 minutes, which seems a long time.

any ideas?

it's a '72 fender twin, has new 6L6's, new caps,... can't think of anything else.

Thanks
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: '72 twin

Post by johnallg »

Just off the top of my head, the new 12AT7 could be bad or inserted wrong. The long warmup could be a heater on one of the 6L6s that is dodgy. Or the heater circuit/voltage could be low.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Either the new 12AT7 is bad, or the pins are smaller on it than the good tube, so it isn't making contact in the socket. The socket needs to be retensioned. This is pretty easy to do, but there are some safety precautions that are necessary in order to do this safely. If you are not sure of how to do this then I suggest taking your amp to a tech to have them retension all the sockets. The warm up time is a bit excessive....not sure why but John's suggestion could be correct. Someone will have to troubleshoot the amp who knows what they are doing.

Greg
rickendelic

Post by rickendelic »

Thanks to both of you, the pins seem like a great,"I'd of never of thought of that" suggestion., and I'll probably just take it to a tech in the end with your suggestions in mind, so i don't send myself flying across my living room floor :)

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”