Your Favourite Song That Features A Fretless Bass

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Your Favourite Song That Features A Fretless Bass

Post by jps »

The vid wouldn't embed! :evil:
Last edited by jps on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

This is one of my favorite tunes of Mark's; I learned some of this years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cYP4vYk0ko
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd put out a solo record called About Face in the mid '80's. There's a song on it called
"Murder".

I think it's supposed to be about the murder of John Lennon. Steve Winwood plays keyboards on it and it's one of my favorite songs.

In my opinion, the fretless bass on it is absolutely haunting. I'm not sure who does it.

Check it out if you get a chance.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks Dan I will.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
brianb

Post by brianb »

I think that was Pino Palladino on that album. Great song!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Pino is everywhere. What a great bass player. :)
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

I'll try to link it here so you don't have to go looking for it. No real video, but you get the song.

Enjoy!

Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D9TUhIKDbw
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I am hooked Dan. That is incredible. I had never heard that song before. It is fantastic. :)

Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Brian I'm glad you liked it.

It starts with the acoustic guitar but the bass is featured pretty prominently, which is cool.

I wasn't personally crazy about the whole album but for some reason this song has stayed with me for a long time.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Brian, Jaco again : On Weather Report's "Heavy Weather" album is one of my all time favourite ballads : "A Remark You Made". This bass is just so touching and sweet... :D...on that same album is "Teen Town" :shock:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Brian, I expect to you know all of the songs mentioned in this thread on your fretless bass by the end of the week! :lol: :mrgreen: :wink:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

rickenbrother wrote:Brian, I expect to you know all of the songs mentioned in this thread on your fretless bass by the end of the week! :lol: :mrgreen: :wink:
Hah! I don't think so....... :lol: :lol: :lol: I did record a Jack Bruce like bass line this afternoon though...........with my 4001 (yes I finally used it Joey).

ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

winston wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:Brian, I expect to you know all of the songs mentioned in this thread on your fretless bass by the end of the week! :lol: :mrgreen: :wink:
Hah! I don't think so....... :lol: :lol: :lol: I did record a Jack Bruce like bass line this afternoon though...........with my 4001 (yes I finally used it Joey).
Good! Now, DON'T FORGET TO WIPE OFF THE FINGERPRINTS! :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

ajish4 wrote:
winston wrote:
Good! Now, DON'T FORGET TO WIPE OFF THE FINGERPRINTS! :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:
Hah! My 4001 is Autumn Glo not your less than favourite Jet Glo (that's my 4003) :lol: :lol: :lol: But yes I do wipe my Ricks (and my other instruments - be nice T) down after use. :shock: :lol: :lol:

rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Tony is going to go into his music room one morning and all his Ricks will be Jetglo! :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”