MANDOLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Putting music theory into practice
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

MANDOLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jdogric12 »

I just realized (whilst posting in another thread here, as you may have seen) that we haven't discussed mandolin here too much, or even at all, have we?

I was lucky enough to have my order placed when RIC did their recent 5002 run. I've been playing the snot out of my new AFG 5002. I also got a cheap acoustic for $50 from a popular catalog. I have been taking weekly half-hour lessons for a little over a month now and am getting a lot out of it. Starting June 8th I go to full hour lessons; I need more!

My instructor (Mike Godwin, Modern Music Workshop, St. Pete, FL, USA) has been giving me a good education on the background of bluegrass and lots of insight into useful techniques specific to the mandolin. I was, and continue to be, surprised by how different it is from guitar. It's easy to simply think of mandolin as a tiny guitar with funny tuning, but it's so much more. Apparently, the way I understand it, the mandolin evolved as a folk "replacement" for the fiddle/violin. I never knew that.

Anyway, I'm at work and can't waste too much company time posting right now, but I think I might try to shoot video of myself on the 5002 tonight, so everyone can have a good laugh.

Stay tuned, and please share your own experiences. I know several of you got some of those new 5002's and I'd really like to compare notes here with you.
Last edited by jdogric12 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spelling correction
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: MANDOLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jdogric12 »

Yo.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Sounds cool! :D But..............I was kinda hoping for something more like

:mrgreen:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Man, Jdog, I never knew that's what a Ric mandolin sounded like. I never knew that's what your voice sounded like, either! Cool vid.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Thanks Jake!

Jeff, you stinker. :lol: :D pm sent re: video
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Yeah, good sound. And it sounds like a real mandolin, too. (a slight dig at Tiny Moore's sound.)

JimK
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Here's the one that I can't get out of my mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:

'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Love me some mandolin (as can be seen in the preceding post :lol:). It started when I first heard the Zep tune "Battle of Evermore" and has carried over to this day. I "learned" the instrument (aka figured out most of the chords :lol:), then taught it to a friend, who now plays it in our band. Would love to take some serious lessons someday, or at the very least find a book with some good old-timey tunes in it.

Here's a quick webcam vid of me doing a little playing, and showing off my current mando:

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Wow, John, I couldn't put your voice to your face, either. I should try to stop guessing people's voices. :P

Cool vid, though, dude. You've done well for teaching yourself. I'd like to learn the mando, I'm sure it would be fun. I really need to break out of the rhythm guitar stage. :P
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Yeah, mandolin is kinda fun. Once upon a time, I swore I was never going to learn to play it. Somebody asked me if I was interested in joining their band, because they were looking for some one who could harmonize, and play several instruments. And oh, by the way, could I play mandolin, too? So I thought the gig sounded like fun, and learned to play mandolin.

JimK
Attachments
JimK playing mandolin at a gig a couple of years ago
JimK playing mandolin at a gig a couple of years ago
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Here's an old photo of me with my very inexpensive Gibson Flatrion mandolin. I bought in 2001 at the Gibson factory which is located inside of Nashville's Opry Mills mall.
Mandolin Feb 01.jpg
Unlike JB in the above Big Muddy video, I do play left-handed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

wmthor wrote: Unlike JB in the above Big Muddy video, I do play left-handed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D'oh! :lol:
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Here are my two favorite mandolin players.....
Copy (2) of JDog_Chris.jpg
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Great posts everyone! Thanks!
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

That sounds nothing like a guitar; I thought people were saying it sounded like a guitar! No, that sounds like pure mandolin to me. Great stuff.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”