Single that Never Was

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
royclough
RRF Consultant

Single that Never Was

Post by royclough »

In 1981 The Searchers were resigned to Pye records , the label that they had enjoyed their biggest hits on, now called PRT a single was released called I Don't Want To Be One (which is on of the videos on here).

There was also going to be an album and about 4 tracks were recorded for it, one of these was in fact the scheduled follow up single to I Don't Want To Be One.

Possibly due to poor sales of aforementioned, though a great record IMO, the album was shelved and so were any further releases.

Here is the follow up that never was Innocent Victim.

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Single that Never Was

Post by kiramdear »

{invalid parameters}

No work, Roy :(
All I wanna do is rock!
ozmag

Post by ozmag »

Great song pity they didn't have it in 79 with Sire when they got airplay!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

They got very little airplay even with the Sire stuff, odd track played on commercial radio never on the mainstream.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

It still astonishes me that radio ignored the two Sire LP's even though the critics loved the two albums. Fortunately for me, Q107 in Toronto played Hearts In Her Eyes a few times and my admiration and affection for The Searchers was re-awakened.

BTW Roy, I was absolutely stunned to read in Frank's new book that Billy did not play on Play For Today. I know you would have known but I was bowled over by that revelation.

It really is a great book isn't it.

cheers
db
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes a very good read but I would say that for obvious reasons, pity the distribution is so poor.
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

In the Washington Baltimore area WHFS played "Hearts In Her Eyes" for awhile. I thought "It's Too Late" would have made a much better choice for a single.

When I saw them in 1984, they did play "Hearts..." and "Silver". The rest of the show was the older stuff; Billy was quite good on "Have You Ever Loved Somebody" but I thought the second time I saw them in 1985 he was rather flat and slowed them down a bit. That was the last tour they did with Mike and in retrospect I'm certainly glad I saw them then. Mike was fine onstage but when I got a couple singles signed ("Sugar & Spice" and I also brought Cliff Bennett's "Beautiful Dreamer" which Frank played on and clearly got a kick out of) he was clearly unhappy and I had a feeling something was up. They did play "Switchbox Susan"; my date and I were calling for it.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

JeffZ wrote:In the Washington Baltimore area WHFS played "Hearts In Her Eyes" for awhile. I thought "It's Too Late" would have made a much better choice for a single.

When I saw them in 1984, they did play "Hearts..." and "Silver". The rest of the show was the older stuff; Billy was quite good on "Have You Ever Loved Somebody" but I thought the second time I saw them in 1985 he was rather flat and slowed them down a bit. That was the last tour they did with Mike and in retrospect I'm certainly glad I saw them then. Mike was fine onstage but when I got a couple singles signed ("Sugar & Spice" and I also brought Cliff Bennett's "Beautiful Dreamer" which Frank played on and clearly got a kick out of) he was clearly unhappy and I had a feeling something was up. They did play "Switchbox Susan"; my date and I were calling for it.
It's Too Late was the follow up single with some Ed Stasium remixing. Damned good. It went nowhere of course and that was a crime!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Here in UK David It's Too Late went very close to making lower reachs of top 50, a Radio DJ I knew at the time told me that based on airplay there was a good chance it was going to make it, sadly he was wrong.

The re-mxing was pretty insignificant in my view
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

royclough wrote:Here in UK David It's Too Late went very close to making lower reachs of top 50, a Radio DJ I knew at the time told me that based on airplay there was a good chance it was going to make it, sadly he was wrong.

The re-mxing was pretty insignificant in my view
I agree on that point. If it hadn't been pointed out to me, I'd probably have never noticed.

You know, just a bit of luck with song making the top 50, it just might have been the foot in the door they needed. How things could have been different!
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Things could have been very different indeed; who's to say if "It's Too Late" becomes a hit and they pull off a comeback that maybe the tension that developed between Mike and the others doesn't happen, or at least doesn't go so far. Maybe Mike doesn't leave and they enjoy a modest career revival...so many if's...
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

JeffZ wrote:Things could have been very different indeed; who's to say if "It's Too Late" becomes a hit and they pull off a comeback that maybe the tension that developed between Mike and the others doesn't happen, or at least doesn't go so far. Maybe Mike doesn't leave and they enjoy a modest career revival...so many if's...
So many ifs indeed but you picked up on exactly what I was thinking.

Wendy will curse me for even intimating such a thing won't she Roy. :shock: ;)

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”