Royalties Question

Putting music theory into practice
jimk
RRF Consultant

Royalties Question

Post by jimk »

For the last several years, I've been playing in a band that has studiously avoided covering other artists' material. We've concentrated on releasing either music in the public domain, or else compositions by band members.

So let's say I have been playing "Mr. Tambourine Man" and have come up with a slightly different arrangement than the Byrds. And let's say that I like it so much, and it proves to be popular enough with live audiences that I decide to record it. Obviously, Bob Dylan needs to collect a royalty check from sales of the recording. Who's in charge of writing Bob a check? What's the percentage rate? To whom is the check made out? Or does Bob's publishing company give me a telphone call or send me a letter with all the questions answered when they find out I've recorded "Mr. Tambourine Man?"

Brian, I guess maybe you have some of the answers, others do too, I hope.
JimK
Scastles

Re: Royalties Question

Post by Scastles »

Jim, recording it is one thing. Releasing it for sale to the general public is another. BMI, ASCAP or SESAC are the folks who collect the royalties, whichever one Dylan's songs are licensed through. They collect on behalf of the artist, composer, etc.
Last edited by Scastles on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

http://www.taxi.com/

Lots of good info about this sort of thing on this site.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks for posting that link Todd. I agree that it covers many music business subjects very well. The only issue that I might have with it is that it's also an advertisement for services. A very slick one too I might add.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Scastles wrote:Jim, recording it is one thing. Releasing it for sale to the general public is another. BMI, ASCAP or SESAC are the folks who collect the royalties, whichever one Dylan's songs are licensed through. They collect on behalf of the artist, composer, etc.
Yes. The assumption was that my hypothetical cover would indeed be released for sale to the public.

Thanks Todd. I'll look up that URL.
JimK
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

winston wrote:Thanks for posting that link Todd. I agree that it covers many music business subjects very well. The only issue that I might have with it is that it's also an advertisement for services. A very slick one too I might add.

No one here (as far as we know) is affiliated with 'em. I've been aware of this type of service for years. IMHO the link should stay. YMMV. FIAT. :)

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”