My demo of the Vox AC4TV

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

ricardo_vicente

My demo of the Vox AC4TV

Post by ricardo_vicente »

I recently got myself one of these amps and have been havign a lot of fun with it.
A mate of mine in Luxembourg who's thinking of buying one himself but hasn't got the opportunity to try one out asked me to do a demo video.
The main aim of the video is to demonstrate the amp at levels I consider reasonable for at home. (He's a bit concerned that it will be too loud for the flat).

Anyway, I thought it might be of interest to you all here. I know it came up for discussion on another thread.

I go through all the different settings and use a couple of different guitars on the video. Sorry, no Rickenbackers because I was mainly concentrating on the two extremes in my little collection, i.e. humbuckers at one end of the spectrum and Strat single coils at the other. My Hi-Gains are kind of in the middle somewhere. Hope the video is still of interest.

But a word of warning: I'm no guitarist and I'm just farting around, playing nothing in particular. Try and ignore the rubbish playing and try and ignore the repeated shots of my bum! :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWkDCKE33So
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: My demo of the Vox AC4TV

Post by whojamfan »

Ricardo, what a great and realistic demo of the AC4TV. It's refreshing to see someone demo an amp with the focus on how the amp sounds, not "showcasing" their playing abilities. I hate those ones that companies make with the stereotypical "musician" looking guy that plays the fast multi-note runs that don't really showcase the amp. I always hated that going in to a guitar store to check out an amp, that the salesperson would just showcase his latest Van Halen run and ask, "So, you whaddya think?" It was always a struggle to not tell them what I thought, as I was there to check stuff out, not get thrown out.

Working in the retail end of music myself for many years, you are much more likely to sell a good amp playing a few notes and bends,(letting the amp do what it does), than shredding a hundred.

I think you did a great job in representing what the amp is capable of on the cleaner side of the volume control, which is what I would say most people who are interested in this amp would be interested in hearing. I know how pleasantly surprised I was when I heard how dirty mine could get, even though I had bought this amp expecting it to be a clean to light overdrive amp.

I have both the combo and the extension cabinet. The cab has some great low end that doesn't get muddy or flubby, as well as not being overly bright or honkey. I also needed a 1x12 cab to plug my other amps into for recording and playing at home. I don't know why the neighbors don't like my 4x12 railed, they really seemed like nice people :lol:

I hope your friend found the demo helpfull, and picked one of these puppies up. I'm sure many youtubers will benefit from your honest demo of the amp, rather than being put off by the "Metal-Country" demo Vox put out.
kenf
Veteran RRF member

Post by kenf »

Thank you for the demo, Ricardo - I'm dying to hear how Rics sound through this little amp!
650D, 660/12
Non-Ric: Precision 5, Sterling 4H, Stingray 5H, Bongo 5H, ThunderChief 5 x 2, L-1000, SG, Godin A6 & A12
"Rickenbacker?!?! You might as well be playing a tambourine!"
ricardo_vicente

whojamfan wrote:Ricardo, what a great and realistic demo of the AC4TV. It's refreshing to see someone demo an amp with the focus on how the amp sounds, not "showcasing" their playing abilities.
Thanks very much for the feedback, Mike. It does of course help that I don't particularly have any playing abilities :lol: but I see your point exactly, and if you get some idea what the amp sounds like, then I achieved what I set out to do.
whojamfan wrote:I have both the combo and the extension cabinet. The cab has some great low end that doesn't get muddy or flubby, as well as not being overly bright or honkey. I also needed a 1x12 cab to plug my other amps into for recording and playing at home. I don't know why the neighbors don't like my 4x12 railed, they really seemed like nice people :lol:
I have a Vox 2x12 (originally bought with my AC30 head). However, I'm yet to try AC4 with the cab for obvious reasons. You've seen how low I have to have the volume at home. Bet it would sound great.
ricardo_vicente

kenf wrote:Thank you for the demo, Ricardo - I'm dying to hear how Rics sound through this little amp!
Your wish is my command ...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOIyDcWmSks&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOIyDcWmSks&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Just some more noodling from me, but this time on my 330/12. The amp is set as clean as possible, i.e. to the full 4 watt setting. It's just the guitar straight into the amp with no effects.
kenf
Veteran RRF member

Post by kenf »

Thank you!
650D, 660/12
Non-Ric: Precision 5, Sterling 4H, Stingray 5H, Bongo 5H, ThunderChief 5 x 2, L-1000, SG, Godin A6 & A12
"Rickenbacker?!?! You might as well be playing a tambourine!"
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Another great demo! :D
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thanks for that! That sounds killer.
All I wanna do is rock!