VOX AC30 CC2

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: VOX AC30 CC2

Post by whojamfan »

Good chance it's the rectifier tube, they seem to be prone to blowing.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

whojamfan wrote:Good chance it's the rectifier tube, they seem to be prone to blowing.
That's what I'm hoping for.
It could have been my fault to a certain extent as I moved the amp after a session whilst it was still hot, and with the tubes being on the older side and well used it could have pushed one or two over the edge.
I will find out tomorrow night.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

If it is, get a Weber Copper Cap as a replacement. Doesn't affect the sound, cheaper than a replacement valve, and should last nearly forever from what I've read. I have one in mine, and it works just fine. If you choose the valve route, don't use the standby switch anymore, as it was only put in there for the "purists", and actually can harm the rectifier valve with how it releases power. For more info, do a search on the "plexi palace vintage amps forum", go to Vox, and read away. There is a lot of great info on that site, and not just for Vox amps.

Good luck Rob
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

whojamfan wrote:If it is, get a Weber Copper Cap as a replacement. Doesn't affect the sound, cheaper than a replacement valve, and should last nearly forever from what I've read. I have one in mine, and it works just fine. If you choose the valve route, don't use the standby switch anymore, as it was only put in there for the "purists", and actually can harm the rectifier valve with how it releases power. For more info, do a search on the "plexi palace vintage amps forum", go to Vox, and read away. There is a lot of great info on that site, and not just for Vox amps.

Good luck Rob
Thanks for that Mike.
I was on the case of the copper cap anyway from reading an earlier post, but thanks for reminding me.
I didn't know about the stand by switch, I used to use it all the time thinking I was saving the tubes. DOH!
More invaluable information.
Many thanks again my friend.

Cheers.

Rob.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

It turns out there was a fault on the circuit board that was causing a surge and that in turn popped the rectifier tube.

I've gone for the copper cap and my man had some very nice tubes in stock that are now in my AC30. I'll have the amp back tomorrow and we have a rehearsal tomorrow night so I'll let you know how it sounds.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

Wow, I'm loving the new tubes.

What a massive difference they make.
The amp now has a much tighter bottom end and the highs are crisp and clear, add the Janglebox and you could cut diamonds with it.
Marvellous. :D
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Mateybob wrote:Wow, I'm loving the new tubes.

What a massive difference they make.
The amp now has a much tighter bottom end and the highs are crisp and clear, add the Janglebox and you could cut diamonds with it.
Marvellous. :D
Now that sounds great, but mind you ears me dears. :D

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”