Lyrics, Melody, or Chord Progression First?

Putting music theory into practice

Do you write lyrics, chord Progression, or melody first?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Lyrics
18%
Melody
18%
Chord Progression
29%
Lyrics & Melody Together
No votes
Melody & Chord Progression Together
35%

Total votes: 17

jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Lyrics, Melody, or Chord Progression First?

Post by jimk »

customxke wrote:It usually starts with heartache. After that I work on the whiskey. The song comes last.
And some folks wonder why I don't drink! :lol: :lol:
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I voted CP first but many times it really is bass line first, so maybe you should add to the choices! :wink:
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

As a non-professional, I find that for me it can be either chord progression or lyrics, it just depends on what comes out first. I will say I have probably more partial lyrics than chord progressions jotted down.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

You left out a choice: Groove.

I have talked to some songwriters/performers (Geoff Achison being the most recent) and for him the Groove comes first.

Think Keith Richard I guess.

For me, it is either the Groove or Lyrics first.

The song is going to be about something. And that "something" can be expressed (most easily and directly for me) through either the Groove or through the Lyrics.

But, of course YMMV.
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

firstbassman wrote:You left out a choice: Groove.

Amen. I don't do lyrics, although I am a (very minor) published poet. They are two very different animals, to be sure. Anyway; I generally trend toward an extended ostinato over chords, but the groove is the only real thing. Whatever notes spill from the feel of the groove make the song. They may suggest chords, but I've often had to make up weird chords just to fit over the lines I've written.

But then again, sometimes it's just chords. But HA! I get to play the basslines. I recently wrote the entire bassline to a song on my band's upcoming CD from start to finish. I had to get down to it afterwards to figure out the chords, which, in the end, didn't really matter all that much for much of it. It's a strong bassline with guitar wash all over it.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

It's always the chord progression if I sit down to write a song, then a melody or some kind of lead line, or the bass, it just depends. Sometimes I get possesed by a song and can't get it out fast enough-the entire thing. This happened to me a few days ago when I got a sound stuck in my head and couldn't get it out. As soon as I got home I plugged in to the recorder and 4 hours later 4 guitar tracks(2 rhythm, 2 lead), a bass track, and 3 tracks of vocals were laid down and mastered. Really crazy, but it seems some of my best work has been done this way, as I turn in to a man with a mission.

Lyrics generally are the last thing I do, as I'm not a good singer, and usually have the singer of whatever band I'm in write the words so they feel ownership. Otherwise, I'm left to write sappy love songs, heartbreak, and social(or anti social) commentaries.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

whojamfan wrote: I'm left to write sappy love songs, heartbreak, and social(or anti social) commentaries.
Lennon/McCartney and Bob Dylan did quite well with these types of songs Mike........... :mrgreen: I am just saying that you don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. :shock: :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

winston wrote: you don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. :shock: :lol:

Not a problem; that's what screen doors are for.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

I picked Chord Progression and Melody, but the poll doesn't allow for variety of approaches.

Lately I've been trying it every which way, from lyrics first, to bass line first, to melody first, title first, whatever. Different approaches bring on a different flavor of song.

But my oldest habit would be to sit with a guitar or piano, play chords and sing along (with nonsense words or random phrases) until the chords and melodies blend into something that sounds like a hook. Then I work on where to take it, as in another section (verse to chorus, or chorus to bridge, or whatever)...trying to find a nice transition. Then I solidify the structure of those sections, and think about a bridge, or a riff that threads the two sections together, an intro, an ending. At this point, the rest is all paint and decoration...the house is there.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

winston wrote:
whojamfan wrote: I'm left to write sappy love songs, heartbreak, and social(or anti social) commentaries.
Lennon/McCartney and Bob Dylan did quite well with these types of songs Mike........... :mrgreen: I am just saying that you don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. :shock: :lol:
I've written a few babies that went out with the bathwater and in to the sewer :lol:
Ilikewater

Post by Ilikewater »

One thing I do is leave the radio off in my car, basically indefinitely. This forces my brain to entertain itself. All different parts come to me, and im able to put the stuff that sticks down when im home. I figure if it doesnt stick,it wasnt that good.
To be joyous is to be a mad man in a world filled with sad ghosts. - H. Miller

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”