The elusive Harngelb yellow???

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

wittyair

Re: The elusive Harngelb yellow???

Post by wittyair »

Right Robert and Paul......I've looked at several of my guitars and it varies considerably, so I agree that
the spacer paint is not necessarily an indicator of a refin. From everything I've checked, it sure looks like
I've run in to a factory yellow 330.
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

Whoa...if that's "Harngelb", then why does it say, "WHT" (WHiTe) in magic marker under the paint?
Are you implying that my yellow guitar is white? Eek! :shock:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

wittyair wrote:From everything I've checked, it sure looks like
I still don't get how you're coming to this conclusion Craig. There are examples of Rickenbackers that are more yellow under the pickguard/TRC. See here. Painted spacers too.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Looking at the picture of the inside of the control cavity - isn't there supposed to be something written inside? I mean, both my Rics have a spot which is not painted with something marked like a number or some other scribbles. Do they ever spray this bit over as well?
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

You'd have to see this one, John......I've had my share of white Rics and have seen what it looks
like under the guard.......this one is quite different.
collin

Post by collin »

sloop_john_b wrote:
wittyair wrote:From everything I've checked, it sure looks like
I still don't get how you're coming to this conclusion Craig. There are examples of Rickenbackers that are more yellow under the pickguard/TRC. See here. Painted spacers too.

Wow, you're right----that looks just like Craig's under the guard.

Strange that they yellow more OUT of the sunlight.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Who has a pic of the Harngelb 4001? That was the instrument that everyone talked about a couple of years ago....
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

collin wrote: Wow, you're right----that looks just like Craig's under the guard.

Strange that they yellow more OUT of the sunlight.
Here's a current example on the 'bay of the "yellow under the guard" phenomenon.
Yellowed WHT 4001.jpg
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I just took delivery of a '90 RED 610 with paint on the spacer, so that shoots down my conclusion!
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

It appears to me that not only is the spacer pained but the washers and the ends of the truss rods are also painted. Since I don't have first hand knowledge of the process that RIC uses I don't know if this means anything at all. Do or did they paint the guitars with the nuts off and the rest masked or not masked at all. I don't see how the nuts would be the only part without paint unless they were replaced or they have paint on the bottom side that was once up..
100_1648.jpg
100_1648.jpg (23.72 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
"The best things in life aren't things."
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

ken_j wrote:It appears to me that not only is the spacer pained but the washers and the ends of the truss rods are also painted. Since I don't have first hand knowledge of the process that RIC uses I don't know if this means anything at all. Do or did they paint the guitars with the nuts off and the rest masked or not masked at all. I don't see how the nuts would be the only part without paint unless they were replaced or they have paint on the bottom side that was once up..
100_1648.jpg
The paint would flake off the nuts the first time they were adjusted. Too, the nuts could have been replaced, although this is not too likely. The presence or absence of paint anywhere on the adjusting hardware is no indication of whether it's a factory paint job or not.

That having been said, the more I look at these photos, the more I think, "refinished". But I'd really have to see the guitar in question in person to say with certainty.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yellowing under the guard could be a reaction between the clearcoat (and also possibly the color coat) to the normally acid pH of maple. Most older MG Ricks I've stripped (and these have nothing but filler and CV over the wood) show darker wood under the guards and hardware, which can't entirely be attributed to the lack of the sun's bleaching effect.
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

The guy I bought it from claims it has not been refinished at any point.....he is the second long term owner,
the first being a recording artist by the name of Rick Biron. His release "Treble Rebel" has a picture
of him with this guitar........you can google it and see it although that in and of itself doesn't
really shed much light on the subject. If it is indeed a yellowed white guitar at least it had the good
sense to yellow evenly.....it's really a nice looking, pale yellow guitar! I had a 72 Buick 455 convertible once
with very similar paint.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

That would have been "Sunburst Yellow", which first turned up on GM cars in 1964. Chevrolet called it "Butternut Yellow". It's a pastel yellow that's easy on the eyes.
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

Actually Paul it was called Sandalwood.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”