The elusive Harngelb yellow???

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: The elusive Harngelb yellow???

Post by ken_j »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:How about that elusive painted spacer?
That was the give-away for me. How about a shot of under the pick-guard?
Craig does that have Grover tuners?
"The best things in life aren't things."
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

Yeah, it's got Grovers, Ken. It also came with black guards and TRC ( which had the model number on it ).
Here's a picture under the guard......definitely a yellow guitar. I only have one other 80s 330.......it's a
transparent color but it has the same spray pattern as this one under the guard and it also has a bit on the spacer.
It's a factory one off. Cool mystery......it'd be great to hear from someone in Santa Ana.
Attachments
100_1649.jpg
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

From the Rickenbacker website forum in Feb. of 08:

quote:John, what years was the Harngelb yellow available?

It was in the late 1980's and all were done within a matter of some months.I remember when they were first shown at the Frankfurt; one of the special models was a 610 or 620 with brushed stainless steel pickguard which looked rather nice against the yellow finish.

I don't recall seeing any product photos of these that we might have done but surely some must exist in Germany. I do recall an employee of Mexo, the distributor, doing a serigraph of that 600 series guitar, one copy having hung in the lobby of my office for years. I wonder where that got to? The frame was broken and sent out for repair but I've never seen it since!

I dont think John Hall limited it to the 600 series however 1984 is not late 1980's
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

wittyair wrote:a serigraph of that 600 series guitar
A what??? So, are there really no known pictures of this Harngelb?
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

Harngelb owners of the world
unite and take over
Attachments
Yellow610.jpg
ricardo_vicente

Post by ricardo_vicente »

Harngelb? If that was the official factory name, someone at RIC is not only in touch with the German-Swiss heritage of the company but also has a sense of humour!
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

jsm610 wrote:Harngelb owners of the world unite and take over
If that's a real Harngelb then I get why they decided to use that name... lol...
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

John Hall has stated that yes, they knew what "harngelb" meant...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

jsm610 wrote:Harngelb owners of the world
unite and take over
Whoa...if that's "Harngelb", then why does it say, "WHT" (WHiTe) in magic marker under the paint? :? :?
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Should be W.C. no?
scotty

Post by scotty »

Thomas Crapper (1836-1910) did exist and is credited with improving the functionality of the early flush toilet (or "water closet," as it was then called), but he did not, contrary to popular belief, invent the pseudo-eponymous bathroom appliance from scratch. Credit for that goes to 16th-century author Sir John Harrington, who not only came up with the idea but installed an early working prototype in the palace of Queen Elizabeth I, his godmother. The first patent for a flushing water closet was issued to Alexander Cummings in 1775, sixty years before Thomas Crapper was born.

The son of a Yorkshire steamboat captain, Tom Crapper's destiny was fixed when he was apprenticed to a master plumber at the age of 14. He owned his own plumbing shop in London by the time he was 25. Crapper was awarded nine patents for plumbing innovations during his lifetime, three of them consisting of improvements to the flushing water closet. Though he made his name as a sanitary engineer to blueboods, Crapper himself was lowborn and never knighted, so it's a mystery why storytellers consistently award him the title "Sir."

He is sometimes erroneously referred to as "Sir John Crapper."
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

You takin' the harn?
scotty

Post by scotty »

Keepin it real Bro. :mrgreen:
robbo63

Post by robbo63 »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:The spacer appears to be painted that yellow color too... I guess refin, not harngelb. Sorry Craig! :(
Does this mean the truss rod spacer? Because my FG 330 has a red spacer and the guitar has not been refinished. I figured the spacer matched the body color, but I don't know about other colors.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

robbo63 wrote:
jdogric12aolcom wrote:The spacer appears to be painted that yellow color too... I guess refin, not harngelb. Sorry Craig! :(
Does this mean the truss rod spacer? Because my FG 330 has a red spacer and the guitar has not been refinished. I figured the spacer matched the body color, but I don't know about other colors.
Whether the spacer is painted or not, or how much or how far up, is a product of the masking done to them, which seems to have varied from person to person and day to day. I've seen them unpainted (but obviously in place when paint was applied), masked halfway horizontally, painted over, and occasionally (apparently when the tape must have slipped during handling) with the spacer painted and the nuts oversprayed.

So I'd say that this is not a reliable indicator of a refinish.

But that "WHT" continues to intrigue me. :wink:

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”