My take on Squire's "The Fish" from yessongs

The genius of Chris Squire
C_Meeker

My take on Squire's "The Fish" from yessongs

Post by C_Meeker »

And now, for your consideration, my interpretation of Chris Squire's "The Fish" as he performed it on the live yessongs album. The video is incomplete and my execution is imperfect. But its also only the second time performing it in front of an audience with our Yes tribute band 'Going for the One' (http://www.myspace.com/goingfortheoneband). I want to thank everyone who contributed to the Chris Squire tone discussions on this board. Without you my tone would not be what it is!

So here ya go:

Tell me what you think! :mrgreen:

Thanks
Chris
woodyng

Re: My take on Squire's "The Fish" from yessongs

Post by woodyng »

i think "WOW"!!! great tone,(nice to hear the wah pedal,too) and you definitely got the into the spirit of it,as well. this was after all originally an improvisation performance,that probably varied quite a bit from nite to nite.......excellent! your drummer's not at all shabby,either....... :shock: :P thanks for sharing!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Welcome, Chris, that is quite a way to introduce yourself around here! I just had a discussion with Pete Greenwood last week when I was in Manchester about this very track - makes me want to break out my old wah pedal.

Don't be a stranger!
haw

Post by haw »

Good of the bloke to stand right in front of you!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Welcome, Chris! :D

Sounds great from here. I learned the Yessongs version back in the day when the album was fairly new; I have since forgotten the bulk of it! :lol: :roll:
ram

Post by ram »

Chris,welcome to the forum - great tone and good solid rendition!
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Hello Chris!

Glad you found this great board! Don't know if you read the comment I placed on YouTube, loved to watch you there. And welcome here :)

Miguel
C_Meeker

Post by C_Meeker »

Thanks for taking a little time to watch everyone, and for your comments. This little enterprise is just in its infancy so any feedback early on helps insure that our show will more closely represent the music at it should be! As far as being new, well, I've been a lurker for some time but never posted. Thanks for the warm reception! :D And Miguel, thanks for your kind words and your wonderful videos... those will come in handy :D

By the way, for anyone on the east coast of the US. I'm playing with these guys in Pennsylvania this weekend (two dates) and then Cleveland OH and Buffalo NY in December.

Chris
ram

Post by ram »

Chris, anything in Maryland or Virginia?
C_Meeker

Post by C_Meeker »

Nothing in Virginia or Maryland yet. We'll be booking a bunch more in early 2010. We'll keep you posted!

Chris
C_Meeker

Post by C_Meeker »

Well, close to two years on, and close to 20 shows later, Going for the One is still at it and stronger than ever. When I posted that first video, I had just gotten The Fish under my fingers, and was playing through a GK wedge (for the neck pickup) and a Music Man guitar Amp (for the bridge pick up). Since then, I've moved over to both pickups through a single vintage Sunn Colosseum head (each pickup has its own channel) and a 4x12 Ampeg cab. which I always have the sound engineer mic, with no direct line out. In any event, here is how The Fish sounds now (btw, with a different drummer and keyboardist):

Hope you enjoy! :mrgreen:
Chris

Visit Going for the One online for videos, dates, and info: http://www.goingfortheone.net
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

did enjoy! and it sounds like the new amp combo is working well for you,too!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

8) 8) 8)
ram

Post by ram »

sounding good Chris... great tone (again) and great effort!! I really enjoyed it!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
surfinmars

Post by surfinmars »

Great performance and tone Chris! Hope you guys make it to Dallas sometime...Like to see you live!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”