Guess I have to asked the question different

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

BarrySe53

Guess I have to asked the question different

Post by BarrySe53 »

If you only could keep one Rickenbacker 325 which one would you chose ? and why ?

325V59

325C58

325C64

What I'd like opinions on is Sound and ease of play (How many Mods needed to get the sound right)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Guess I have to asked the question different

Post by admin »

Barry: I would keep the 325C64 because of its newer build, it is quintessential Lennon and is very striking.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I would pick the c58 if you're interested in novelty and resale value - it's discontinued now. If you're going to be playing the guitar more, I'd go for the c64 - it has a brighter, louder sound and is a lot more playable. I'm not a big fan of the v59 because it's heavier and the few I've seen have that super-thin 80s neck profile.

Strictly IMO.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I haven't tried the other two, but I love my V59. It does have a thin neck which suits me fine and it is a solid and practical player. I also find the thicker body to be a plus. And the gold plastic with oven knobs - YUM!
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I can see that the three above answers is really helping, here! :lol:

I wish I could help but I have never played any 325s. :|
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

The C64 was always the best looking to me. So I'd choose that one.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

For playability and sound, I'm with Peter and Dan and would go with the C64.

I personally like the looks and "rare factor" of the C58 with that Kauffman on it (mine's a JG); but as a player it's not at the top of the list. It's really lightweight, but so is the C64.

I also find the V59s I've played too heavy for a small guitar and the finish on it seems really thick to me. But that may vary from case to case.

Overall, I think you will have the most flexibility with the C64. But if you're going to "Sullivan/Lennonize" it with the Bigsby, etc., you'd probably want to go with a V59 in JG because that's the closest RIC factory model to the "Lennonized" 325. it's got all the right cosmetics except for the knobs and bridge, though the purists (are there any here?) would note that the C58 is closer in construction to JL's first 325.

Hopefully you will get the chance to actually play these different models before you have to decide. And any way you go you'll end up with a nice guitar! :)
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Let me preface my response with a proviso: I am a fan of Bigsby tailpieces and have been so since I bought my second guitar (which had one) in 1969.

My vote is for the v59. I had a c58 and although I liked the incredible ligt weight and resonance, I found the Kaufmann tailpiece to be more as something in the way rather than really functional. I haven't played a c64, but I had a v63, and although I liked it, the Accent tailpiece was, like the Kaufmann, found to be less than really functional (the strings would go out of tune after a couple of whammies ...). Like Kira, I also like the thicker body of the v59.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I can't speak about the C58 but I have a 320 in addition to the V59. Perhaps that gives me a similar feel to the C64 so I can state a comparison. They are worlds apart, acoustically speaking, the thinner body brighter and louder as Dan said, and the fatter body mellower and plunkier. That would be the way I would choose one or the other if I had to, but I'm sure glad I don't have to.

I suggest you get one of each and enjoy all the possibilities. :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”