vintage 325's on eBay

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

glen_l

vintage 325's on eBay

Post by glen_l »

Those who have an eye for vintage 325's have probably noticed the stunning '67 fireglo model up at the moment.

There's another listing simply entitled 'Rickenbacker 325/1996 guitar'. The seller gives the serial number as FA-729, which is an impossibility. The FA range ended well prior to 729. Also the letters and number should be stamped together along the bottom edge of a Jan '66 jackplate, unlike the one shown in the auction photo. I've emailed the seller asking if he can have a closer look at the plate. I thought perhaps it might be PA-729. It certainly looks like FA in the photo, but that's just not possible. Hopefully he clears this up.
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Re: vintage 325's on eBay

Post by xcoyle »

There is also a FA 729 in the register that is from Japan and also a 325 in FG. Is it the same guitar, or maybe a couple of fakes?
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

glen_l wrote:Those who have an eye for vintage 325's have probably noticed the stunning '67 fireglo model up at the moment.

There's another listing simply entitled 'Rickenbacker 325/1996 guitar'. The seller gives the serial number as FA-729, which is an impossibility. The FA range ended well prior to 729. Also the letters and number should be stamped together along the bottom edge of a Jan '66 jackplate, unlike the one shown in the auction photo. I've emailed the seller asking if he can have a closer look at the plate. I thought perhaps it might be PA-729. It certainly looks like FA in the photo, but that's just not possible. Hopefully he clears this up.
Good eye, Glen.......The jackplate is definitely from the 70's, a bad strike on the 'P' it would seem-----this is not a Jan. '66 jackplate. I also think this is a 1975 vintage instrument as well, the style of the case is another clue....

So, we have a '76 here? Still a lovely guitar.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

It is too low to be a PA number...

729 would have a PB to be in sequence...

Perhaps it is f1 from 1988???
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

I emailed the seller about the jackplate and here is his reply:

Thanks for your message on the Ric, and sorry for the delay in my reply. The serial # is clearly marked FA 729. You are not the first to notice an anomaly with the number, however. As I mentioned, I am not a Ric expert, but it seems likely the jack plate was modified or changed (before I bought it), so this may not be the real serial number. The Ric site says this was made in 1966, and that's how it was advertised when I bought it, but it is probably a 70's or 80's reissue.

Buyers beware!
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

One big anomaly is that the Roman font stampings were still being used in Jan. 1966, as was the method of stamping everything on one side of the plate as Glen mentioned.

This jackplate looks as though it was made 1967-up......

Having said that, much on the guitar looks good for the era, although the pickguard has a knob placement consistant with what you find on a mid-late 80's 325V63......

I'd certainly want a look under the hood......
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Post by xcoyle »

A picture of the pots would be nice and also see the double truss rods. There might have been an R on it at one time as well, check for extra screw holes under the vibrato.

The one thing I find strange is that there are possibly two FA 729 out there. It seems strange that he bought it in the 90's, and then someone from Japan registered the same number and guitar type in 1999. It is possible the whole guitar is an excellent fake, and if so your going to make a batch of them.

If not a fake, than i say an 80 - 82 would be my guess.
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Some good reasoning thanks guys. The close form-fitting black tolex case would probably be 70's or 80's - well spotted John.

Some other points:

A 1 o'clock soundhole can be found on 325's and 320's from '64 until about '84.

The body on this one has the slightly more rounded features like a 70's to early 80's model.

The headstock looks 70's to early 80's.

We do need to see the pot codes to know any more.

The fact that someone stamped a phoney plate and even used slotted screws to attach it is deliberately to imply a '66 guitar. They forgot to use slotted screws on the replacement TRC though, and I'd be curious to see what screws are on the tuners. A '66 325 wouldn't have plain black knobs either.

The seller sounds genuine, and originally bought the guitar in good faith.

It's a concern to think that whoever converted or made this, has made more than just the one. Not very clever to use the same number, in this age of the internet, eBay, and the Ric Register.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”