Beryl Marsden

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
JeffZ

Beryl Marsden

Post by JeffZ »

I'm not sure if anyone's posted this but it just went up on YouTube in September. Beryl Marsden on German TV; LIVE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjlWBwJQif0
hamilton_square

Re: Beryl Marsden

Post by hamilton_square »

Many, many thanks for posting this particular You Tube link. For to tell the truth, there appears to be very little surviving film footage of a young Beryl Marsden performing live. If 1966 was indeed the year of this German TV recording then little Miss Marsden, having been born during the month of June 1947, would have been a mere 18-going-on-19 years of age.

Having watched the clips of Beryl Marsden performing, what started to ring a distant bell for me was the group backing her, by the title of Johnny B Great & The Quotations. I’ve since found out that they were basically an ensemble group of session musicians put together to support mainly American solo performers touring Europe during the mid-1960s

However, if this was one of the many competition-style topics that feature prominently on this board then the question would be … what links the rather obscure Johnny B Great & The Quotations to the better known Brotherhood of Man, the British ABBA-type singing quartet of the 1970s?

Top marks to anybody who can come up with the name JOHNNY GOODISON who performed on the original Brotherhood of Man recording of “United We Stand” and who together with Tony Hiller, wrote several of the group’s lesser known UK hits as well as songs for likes of the Bay City Rollers and Mud, to name a couple.

On this 1970 Top of the Pops clip of the Brotherood of Man, before what became the more familiar quartet line-up that went on to win the 1976 Eurovision Song Contest with “Save Your Kisses For Me”, Johnny Goodison is the rather heavy-set member.

Five years previously, on the 1966 German TV recordings featuring Beryl Marsden, it was the same Johnny Goodison, masquerading as Johnny B Great and The Quotations, backing up on keyboard and vocals …

JeffZ

Re: Beryl Marsden

Post by JeffZ »

Glad you liked the clip of Beryl. I've really enjoyed what I've seen and heard of her. It's ashame she didn't have more luck on the charts. I understand she is still out there performing though.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”