Re: Having second thoughts about a VOX AC30cc2

Post by 86kubicki »

Welcome Don - message sent!
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Paul-if only I had two Hiwatts! :D :twisted: :D

Seriously though, you have been spoiled by your Hiwatt, especially live. Get one of those Swanson 212 cabs if you want to downsize. Nothing can match the speed, the headroom, or natural compression characteristics you have come to know and love over the last 15 years. I have owned and played many different brands, but nothing comes close to how this amp responds and delivers. I'm not saying these amps sound better than anyone elses, it's just the characteristics of them are so unique that once you become a real fan of them, other amps seem....well.....quiet(haha). I would equate this to die hard RIC users finding other guitars either difficult or uncomfortable to play.
So, if you are looking to get the sound you are used to in a Vox, forget it. If you are looking for a new sound based on what you have heard come out of AC30s, the CCs are pretty good amps. I don't want to sound like John Lennon, so 15 watt $250+ plus alnico blue speakers didn't interest me at all. I think the Wharfdales, especially when broken in, are a good speaker, certainly better than the rap they have received. There are a million "upgrades" and mods you can perform on these, but do they really need them? Most likely not, and you can really start getting in to that "chasing the dragon" deal with these amps once you start changing out the components.
Out of the box the amp sounds great, maybe replace the tubes with JJs(inexpensive)and a Weber Copper Cap in place of the rectifier tube, and you shouldn't have any of the reliability problems asscociated with these amps in their first 90 days of use. Many people have had great luck with their rectifier tubes, so even that is debatable. There are numerous touring pros using these amps with minimal, if any, modifications.
I wouldn't discount the local builders either, I'm sure someone makes an amplifier to suit your needs, or could tweak or build you something. It's really just a matter of what you want to spend.
But in the end, nothing will ever do what your Hiwatt does :wink:
revolver

Post by revolver »

paologregorio wrote:I wouldn't turn down a CC2 Vox; I own three of them; an old hand wired top boost, a CC2X, and an AC 30 H2; I think they all sound great. In any case, it's obvious that you're doing your homework ahead of time; I wish you nothing but happiness with the amp you decide on! :)
Thank you! I have a good friend that owns an AC30cc2 which he has had for a couple of years. The amp is heavily gigged, my friend loves it and he hasn't had a single problem with it. It could just be a case of a few bad apples ruining the bunch.
86kubicki wrote:Dave - have you tried any of the Mack amps?
I've seen the demos on youtube but haven't had a chance to play one in person. Definitely on my list to consider. I heard they offer artist endorsements as well! ;)

jps wrote:Would something like this work for you?

I've looked at the Reeves before, only trouble is that once I get it shipped to Canada and pay the duty it will probably be close to double my budget.
whojamfan wrote:Seriously though, you have been spoiled by your Hiwatt, especially live. Get one of those Swanson 212 cabs if you want to downsize.

So, if you are looking to get the sound you are used to in a Vox, forget it. If you are looking for a new sound based on what you have heard come out of AC30s, the CCs are pretty good amps.

But in the end, nothing will ever do what your Hiwatt does :wink:
I downsized a couple of years ago playing the Hiwatt through a Marshall 2x12. I actually just put the 4x12 up for sale a few weeks ago. It's sat in various basements unused over the last couple of years.

I'm looking for a new sound and have always loved the VoxAC30 mojo. I have been spoiled by the Hiwatt's military construction, that is completely true! :)

Thanks to everyone for "chiming" in!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

revolver wrote:
jps wrote:Would something like this work for you?

I've looked at the Reeves before, only trouble is that once I get it shipped to Canada and pay the duty it will probably be close to double my budget.
You could drive to Ohio and buy it then drive it across the border, maybe. :!: They are made in Cincinnati.
revolver

Post by revolver »

I think I may have found an amplifier. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm picking it up this Saturday so I'll save the review until then.... :)
revolver

Post by revolver »

After doing some research I found out about an amazing handwired AC30 clone. The Mayfly BC30, made in Canada for a few years but they're no longer being produced. Not too much information exists on these but I found one used at a shop in Ottawa and drove about nine hours roundtrip to investigate. I'm pleased to say I brought it home with me.

From the short time I played it at the store I was able to coax clean and overdriven AC30 tones from it as well as some surprising 18 watt Marshall vibes. I need to spend some more time with it tomorrow and I plan to post a demo on youtube in the near future.

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

looks sweet!
revolver

Post by revolver »

I love this amplifier. Thank you internet! :D

The Mayfly website is long gone but I managed to find it here...

http://web.archive.org/web/200508291456 ... ndex2.html
listen to clips from our new ep
http://www.ramonahq.com
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

That's a real nice looking Amp.... is that Mahogony wood cabinetry ?? I like that purple-ish color.
Hope you get the tone and Mojo you are looking for !!!
revolver

Post by revolver »

8mileshigher wrote:That's a real nice looking Amp.... is that Mahogony wood cabinetry ?? I like that purple-ish color.
Hope you get the tone and Mojo you are looking for !!!
The cabinet is just regular birch plywood covered in tolex. When I found the amp online the colour looked bright red in the photo, but it's actually a deep oxblood colour with black grill cloth.

I think I found my Mojo. An AC30/British/EL84 vibe with it's own unique voice. I finally get to open it up at practice tomorrow, I can't wait!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

collin wrote:
revolver wrote:I think I'll wait until an English made reissue surfaces or I find a similar amp as chimey. :)
Well, I can't comment on the sound, but the UK-made Korg AC-30's aren't exactly reknowned for their reliability either.

They aren't entirely unreliable, per se.....but not the rock that your Hiwatt was, at all.
Au contraire! My red AC30TBX has been my main amp since '96 and I've never had a problem except for a tube going out once or twice.
revolver

Re: HAPPY THAT I WAS Having second thoughts about a VOX AC30cc2

Post by revolver »

I AM BLOWN AWAY BY THIS MAYFLY!

Last night was my first opportunity to really open it up and see how it sounds loud. It was so difficult to find information online about this amp that I feel compelled to write a bit about it. I hope that others who come across a Mayfly will stop to try it out.

I wasn't able to coax anything but goodness from this amp. The top end can get a little out of hand which the "cut" control can tidy up very easily.

- These are the settings I ended up using with the exception of the master volume which ended up about 9 o'clock and the cut control which I had at 1 o'clock -

I managed to find a manual online which describes the Normal channel as being based on the “Normal” channel of an AC-30 but includes a special shelving EQ switch. This is a 6 position switch.

"It changes the pre-amp circuitry to directly modify the voicing of this channel. Counter-clockwise settings are bright, clean, and jangly. Clockwise settings increase the gain and low-end."

I played with this channel for a few songs. In the "bright, clean and jangly" settings it definitely had an AC30 vibe, in the clockwise settings though there was loads of gain and low end. A little bit too much bottom for me personally. A great lead tone but not really suitable for rhythm playing. I should add though, I've been listening to The Jam a lot so I've really dialed the bottom out of my guitar lately.

I found myself using the Top Boost channel for most of the evening.

"The Top Boost channel has the classic AC-30 sound except with the mids sweetened and the bass extended."

I certainly had a "wide open" AC30 vibe going on. I could not stop playing Pete Townshend / Paul Weller inspired single chords on this channel. I spent a lot of time just alternating between A D A. :lol:
Increasing the Top Boost channel volume it really crossed over into that sweet and smooth Marshall overdrive.

A couple of songs into the set and our bass player remarked that we suddenly sounded "British". This was somewhat ironic seeing as I was now playing a Canadian built amp and not my Hiwatt but I couldn't help but agree. The amp is really responsive to your playing, I don't know how to explain it. I suppose it's more "spongy" than the Hiwatt, I just feel like I really "dig" into it when I play.

It's probably premature and I should spend some more time with the Mayfly but when I came home last night and looked at my Hiwatt and my half a dozen distortion / overdrive pedals I had this overwhelming urge to sell it all. :)
Ric-O-Buc

Post by Ric-O-Buc »

well alright! Sonunds like you found a home - congrats, I know what the search is like....

Rock on......... 8)
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

The Hiwatt will go to a great home here should you decide to sell it :D
revolver

Post by revolver »

A few months later and I still love the Mayfly. I find myself using the normal channel which has the preset EQ and just the volume control. Easy Peasy. Stops me from turning up the treble after playing for twenty minutes :)

The Hiwatt went to a good home...

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”