Searchers early guitar sound

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Searchers early guitar sound

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi,

I don't know if this belongs on this forum or not, but I'll start it here. I'm listening to "Each Time" and "He's Got no Love", which are 2 of my favorites. Does anyone know how they got that guitar sound? I'm mostly interested in the solo and the ending of "Each Time", but the general sound in both songs is something I'd like to get on my recordings. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but .... what a highly under-rated band (in the US).

Thanks.

Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: Searchers early guitar sound

Post by royclough »

They still play Each Time in their set, but to me on the recording the guitars are probably double tracked.

At the time of recording Each Time they were using Burns Guitars I think, they are in Austrialia at moment and John rarely check e-mails but Frank does so if you could be more specific I'll ask him, he may answer.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi Roy,

I know they used a ton of reverb in those early songs. My question relates to the 'twang' guitar sound that they got, especially at the end of "Each Time". It's not quite spaghetti western, but it has a bit of that flavor. There's a similar sound on a number of their early songs.

Thanks. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Tom

Here is answer direct from Searchers or Frank Allen specifically.

The answer for Each Time is further down. As for He`s Got No Love, it was a very simple combination of an electric 12 string riff based on an arpeggio while a six string (I recall it was a Telecaster and if my memory serves me right it was played through a tremelo effect). On top of that there were the usual ebellishments of echo and reverb. Simple to recreate and we could easily do it now except that we have never got round to rehearsing. We did in fact put it (or at least a portion of it) in the set a good few years ago and there is no saying we won`t introduce it again at some point. Requests for the song are few and far between and there is very little space in the show.

Each Time
The riff is played at the bass end of an electric 12 string. I think we were still using the Burns 12 string at the time although we changed over to the Rickenbacker Rose Morris 1993 model about then. Can`t recall if we double tracked but it is possible. We had very limited opportunity to overlay back then as we were using four track machines and when we needed extra space we woud link up to another four track machine. Other than that it is just elaborated by the simple reverb and echo equipment the studio used. In my book The Searchers And Me there is a paragraph where Tony Hatch explains that the only effects they had then were an EMT echo plate and some basic reverbs while the recordings were done on the latest U.S made Ampex machines..

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”